PDA

View Full Version : Freeze-Thaw-Smoke-ReFreeze?

DLM
08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Is it okay to thaw kokes, smoke them and then refreeze them? I know there is a lot of stuff you cannot refreeze, but I was wondering since smoking is so close to cooking if it was okay to freeze again. Anyone?

SuperD
08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
You could get away with vacuum sealing them, freezing and then bringing them back out during the holidays.

DLM
08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
You could get away with vacuum sealing them, freezing and then bringing them back out during the holidays.

Agreed, I vacuum pack everything. Also carry a vacuum unit in the RV so they can get sealed and froze as quickly as possible after catching. Usually never more than 4 hours from lake to freezer, depending on how long I stay on the water.

Kokaholic
08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I have done it, thawed, smoked and refroze and have never had an issue and they still taste great

HiTechKoke
08-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Most definitely you can freeze the smoked fish but I'd strongly reco that you only do it if you are going to vacuum pack it and make sure to get all the air out. I like to double seal each end when doing it.

Get'nJiggy
08-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I like to brine my fish after it has been flash frozen. The freezing draws the moisture out of the meat, and when you put it in the brine it acts like a sponge and really soaks up the brine and flavor. I just did a batch of some pinks I caught on the Skykomish river last week and it turned out great. Once the meat is fully thawed I know it's time fro the smoker!

Jim F
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I have frozen koke's till I had enough to warrant firing the smoker. I freeze them in water, in Tupperware, old milk cartons whatever, as long as they are covered with water. This prevents freezer burn without vacuum packing. Thaw, smoke, vacu pack and refreeze. No problems.