PDA

View Full Version : Ct. Kokanee Update

SeaDog
08-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Hi guys!
Been awhile since I made a general post.

Well it's been a very strange year.
June and July have been the coolest and rainest seen here in new England.
Guess I shouldn't complain seeing that the rest of the country is suffering with opprssive heat and drought and other Wx abnormalities.

Kokanee fishing here in Ct. was great all of May thru Mid June.
Got my limit 3 times with at least 3 to 4 per trip.
Good size fish up to 17 inches where being caught.

From Mid June thru July and now into August Koke fishing has dropped off so bad that most of the fishermen are pretty discouraged.crymeariver
We've done everything you can possibly think of to get them -> (Short of dropping explosives tooexcited)

We're all hopeing that with the lakes now well stratified the fish will be more concentrated within their water temp preference and schooling.thumbsup

That about sums things up!
If the fishing turns around and gets better I'll make another post.

Best regards,
SeaDog

HiTechKoke
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Tks for the update sea dog... what do you guys / gals like to use out East in terms of tackle? It's good to know if I find an excuse to travel East I could find some Kokanee.

Kevin

Kokanee Killer
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
hey kevin, we mostly still fish at nite under lantern light..light tackle maggots and corn pretty much..in early june one night me and my son and a goodfriend caught about 30 13-17 in rainbows in a couple of hrs ,, sea dog was there that nite too.we could not get past the rainbows to get the kokes,,, as i was telling sea dog i remember august always the DOG DAYS i really think the kokes cease feeding and start the prespawn morph..they start to reasorb there scales stomachs shrinking,, i always got em in august jigging from an anchored boat on small teardrop ice fishing jigs,,these prespawn kokes in that particular lake really are pretty much schooling tight and striking out of agression if you can find a school stay on em,, it is feast or famine this time of year in ct koke land,, back in 1992 i had a banner august some 120 plus kokes in august that year,still fishing though is where it is at heretongue2

HiTechKoke
08-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Very interesting guys. How warm does your Kokanee lake get. What I was wondering is how far down do you end up jigging. I am thinking that to do that in California it would need to be earlier in the year when there is cooler water toward the surface. For a lot of the lakes we are minimum 50 and down to 100 feet now on the lower level lakes.

Also do you guys use the live maggots or the Berkeley fake ones?

Kevin

Kokanee Killer
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
live maggots ...but last year the gulp maggots worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,seen it in a edition of sts recently,, bill herzog used them with success and did well,, as for jigging depth usually 18-36ft the lake is an old extinct volcanic crater spring fed too.. ultra clear water max depth 65 ft or so but surfact temps go to mid 70s but the lake stratifies well..also when jigging this time of the year the kokes start to lose the chrome and males begin to change, i truly believe these kokes are striking out of agression