PDA

View Full Version : I got nothin!

SeekofCS
08-04-2009, 12:33 AM
So we are at Flaming Gorge right now. Camping at Mustang Ridge near the dam. I have been reading here for awhile, but it seems that it has not helped me. So far, not even a bite!

We have been trying needle fish near the 40ft level, but any pointers on lures/bait and locations would be very much appreciated!

binthere50
08-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Get some RMT squids in white and pink and a few dodgers and go where you see a pile of boats. Pipeline area from what I've heard....fish early, the bite has been from 6am to about 9am or so. Run your rigs from 40 to 55 ft on the downrigger..troll at around 1.5 to 2.00 mph...if you are in the right spot, you'll get bit........

SeekofCS
08-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the help! Isn't the pipeline on the Wyoming side? We are down near the dam.. at a top speed of 21 on our old boat I don't think we'll get there too soon.

I hope those RMT's can be purchased in dutch john. We are here till Friday, hopefully we get something right.

Bduck
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
So we are at Flaming Gorge right now. Camping at Mustang Ridge near the dam. I have been reading here for awhile, but it seems that it has not helped me. So far, not even a bite!

We have been trying needle fish near the 40ft level, but any pointers on lures/bait and locations would be very much appreciated! I talked to a guy I work with and they were in the Jarvies Canyon area around the corner from you. Last week they were catching them on RMT dodgers funky frog purple passion, watermelon dodger with either uv pink haze squid or orange osprey. Pearlscent uv squid, some of your serpent spoons by RMT work well. Needlefish are good. Run them about 18in behind a dodger and a squid about 8-12in. The kokes are in the 50-60ft depths now. Surface temps are running about 72-73 degrees. Purples, pinks, oranges seem to be the colors along with some experimenting around with early am fishing. Tight Lines Roger

Ryno
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM

We have been trying needle fish near the 40ft level, but any pointers on lures/bait and locations would be very much appreciated!

Yeah, you're camped a long way from Pipeline, unless you wanted to pull your boat and run up to Antelope Flat and launch.

I fished about 5 miles uplake from Mustang Ridge on Sunday morning, near Jarvies Canyon. I caught kokes from 45-55ft, trolling at 1.8-2.0 mph, using dodgers and squids. My best set-up on Sunday was a pink/green Rocky Mountain Tackle Signature dodger with a watermelon Radical Glow tube about 12 inches behind that. You can purchase RMT and RGT gear at the Conoco in Dutch John if you need it. I suspect you could be fishing the wrong area. Also try boating up to North Skull Creek. Now that the fish are prespawn, you'll start to see them migrate uplake and you might find concentrations up there. Good luck! Ryno

SeekofCS
08-04-2009, 10:16 AM
again thanks for the replies. we tried jarvies around 7am. no luck there so we are right now in north skull creek coming out. dodgers with pink rmt squids. so far still nothin. i guess i am just unlucky...

Bduck
08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
again thanks for the replies. we tried jarvies around 7am. no luck there so we are right now in north skull creek coming out. dodgers with pink rmt squids. so far still nothin. i guess i am just unlucky... I'll be there thursday afternoon at Lucerne campground hopefully loop F. I monitor marine band ch16, 'BDUCK'. Give me a call if your in the area or my cell #801-564-1207. Be glad to chat with ya. :)

SeekofCS
08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
We might do that. They are talking about taking the boat up to the antelope flat ramp and doing some fishing in the Lucerne area.

Hopefully I can get up a little earlier and try again tomorrow. I will probably start at Jarvies Canyon again. (Should I be going all the way into the canyon start? Or just stay more in the the bay/general area of Jarvies?) When we went into N. Skull creek we literally went near the start of the canyon and fished on the way out. Anyway, tomorrow is another day!

Ryno
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
(Should I be going all the way into the canyon start? Or just stay more in the the bay/general area of Jarvies?) When we went into N. Skull creek we literally went near the start of the canyon and fished on the way out. Anyway, tomorrow is another day!

Some areas you could try fishing are near Gold Point as you enter Jarvies (left hand side, has a sign on it), the eastside of Jarvies along the cliffs, the cliff just off the Jarvies campground, and the mouths of both North and South Skull Creek Canyons. You should be marking fish around 45-55ft. If not, I would move down the list until you see them on the graph. Early definitely helps, although Sunday it was best between 730-830am. Most days I do better at first light. Hope it helps, Ryno

SeekofCS
08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
So, after another morning of not a single bite I am still trying to figure out what we are doing wrong. Using pink squids behind dodgers (watermelon, and silver) 1.5 to 2.0 mph (per GPS) 40-50 ft down. Near South Skull creek we saw a lot of "fish" on the fishfinder at those depths, but nothing was biting.

I have a theory. The outboard motor we are using has a lot of vibration to it. Is it possible that vibration is being carried down the the bottom with the downrigger?

SeekofCS
08-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Bduck, is it ever any good in the evening? At this point we would love to join you out there on Thursday, but we are heading home on Friday. I am getting service up here (hence all the posts on here) so I will try and give you a call on Thursday. Thanks in advance.

BiteMe
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
It can be dang good in the evenings. I took the wife & kids out last year in the evening (Buckboard), can't get them out of bed in the AM, and we put 7 in the boat in about an hour. It could have been a lot more, but they were ready to go back in. Oh, did I mention all the kids are girls also. I always tell them they miss the best part of the day.