PDA

View Full Version : Stampede Reservoir - 7-25-09 - KP Derby

HiTechKoke
08-01-2009, 01:33 AM
I am getting in the bad habit of posting a week later almost. Fished the KP Stampede derby with Rachel last week and we had fun figuring out the Kokanee. It was the typical Stampede bite where most of the bite shuts off by 10AM but we did manage to get some fish throughout the morning by switching things up. I always love Stampede due to photo #1... no shortage of fish but that does not mean they will bite. All we could manage were some mediocre to small Kokanee in the 12-13.5 inch range but we were happy to be catching them and losing them at the boat too just for the action.

On Sunday I made an effort with another friend Khan Tran to fish for Mack's both trolling and jigging but that was futile so we fished for Kokes a while but the morning bite had already faded so we pulled the plug and headed back down the hill through the hellish heat of the Sac Valley and back to the cool coastal temps of San Mateo. Here's a few pics...

#1 - Fish, Fish Everywhere...
#2.. You have to have a sunrise!
#3. A MONSTER Stampede Koke that we kept running into deep and shallow!
#4 - Our best Mack that was brought up was a real rod bender! Well they say they don't fight much so this 10lber could have been a Mack anyway.

Kevin

Bduck
08-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Stampede is a beautiful setting in the high Sierras. My dad use to camp host up there back in the early 90's. I would visit him sometimes on his day off and get in a morning of fishing. He loved what he was doing there but he complained of not having enough fishing time. I don't miss living in Sacramento for its hellish heat. Glad you had a good time at the derby. Those darn stick fish make for a good conversation when your reeling them in. :rolleyes:

Full_Monte
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Good report and great sense of humor! I like the "monster" koke and the 10 lb whopper photos. Sometimes, it's just tough to get them to bite. I think I still have a lot to learn.

GVF
08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
High Tech Im sorry we didnt get to cross paths out there I also fished the Derby with my "junior" team We had such luck earlier (two weeks prior) but it was a tough bite for us also .Will probably hit it one more time.

Will you be at Pardee?

HiTechKoke
08-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey GVF - I'll be at Pardee with the family on board so definitely look me up so we can meet.

Kevin