PDA

View Full Version : Causey last few weeks

HookJaw
07-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I have been hitting Causey quite a bit for the last few weeks with high expectations.
So here we go.
The first trip this spring I got the nice 19 incher and thought that there would be plenty of fattys to be had about now. Most of the kokes we have been getting into are about 6-10 inches long with the occasional but rare 14-18 inchers. 10 fish is a typical day, and I fished mostly afternoons. The best spots are just in front of the dam or where the forks connect with the dam. Got a few on squids and dodgers, but they seemed to like the P-gear a little better.
A few other forum members have been getting into them pretty good, but for the most part they are small with a few bigguns in between. Met a few of Kokeheads buddies jigging up there and they had a couple small kokes too. The fishin should pick up pretty soon. Lets hope so anyway

SmokeOnTheWater
07-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Are they getting any color to them (the bigger ones)? I live too close to spend any time there especially since I sold my smaller boat. Are you trolling for them from a small boat or casting from a float tube or pontoon boat?

HookJaw
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes, they are getting a nice pink tint to them already. I fish out of a Scanoe (Flat Back Canoe), with a little trolling motor on the back. We fish with the rope riggers, and the fish are anywhere from 25ft-50ft.
With all the activity on the water lately, I think they shut down until the Evenings and early mornings. There are for sure some BIG kokes in there this year, but the numbers of nice kokes seem to be down. The good thing is there are tons of little 5 inchers, so they must have had a good spawn last year. I sure hope it picks up by next week, we are running out of time.

SmokeOnTheWater
07-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Are you using standard kokanee gear or are you scaling down to more like ice fishing tackle. I think I'll give it a try from shore near the dam spillway. I think I might have a few tricks up my sleeve and I'll share my success or failure in a post next week. Working swing shift only lets me fish mornings and mid-day and not too early at that.:rolleyes:

Bduck
07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you using standard kokanee gear or are you scaling down to more like ice fishing tackle. I think I'll give it a try from shore near the dam spillway. I think I might have a few tricks up my sleeve and I'll share my success or failure in a post next week. Working swing shift only lets me fish mornings and mid-day and not too early at that.:rolleyes: Go to Albertson's, you might have better luck. laugh hyst

Petty4life
07-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Go to Albertson's, you might have better luck. laugh hyst

you better hurry there closing faster then the kokanee season

SmokeOnTheWater
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Touche' BDuck! worthy12 Ya'll might think I'm a bit crazy for wanting to fish for kokes from shore but ya never know, I might even surprise myself.

HookJaw
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
There was a guy a few years back fishing at Cedar Springs (FG), and he caught a few kokes from shore using a spinner. I couldn't believe it!

At Causey, you can have success in a float tube or pontoon jigging. Not sure about the shore, that's going to be pretty hard. The kokes up there seem to be pretty picky this year. Dodgers and squids have been producing the most fish though.