PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Gorge Trip

er-e-is
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
We are planning a trip to fish for Kokes on this Friday. It will be a 1 day trip and I have a couple of questions. This will be my first trip to the Gorge since I moved to Pinedale 10 years ago and my buddies first trip ever. Where in R.S. or G.R. can we purchase a Flaming Gorge Recreation Pass? We will be going thru early and hopefully be on the water at daybreak. Second question , I have been watching this forum and it seems like the hot bite might be a little south of where I used to fish, which is from around Squaw Hollow and north to Big Bend. Would we do better say from Anvil south to the Pipeline or should we stay in the area that I used to do very good? Thanks for any info. joe.

halojm
07-28-2009, 07:19 AM
First I'd try the maverick in Green River for the recreation pass. Second I've found that fishing has een best south by the pipe than arond buckboard for the last few weeks. I think the water is a lot clearer farther south you go. Last trip boated 42 koks just south of the pipe and from reports I got yesterday from co workers they are still in the same area. 40 to 60 feet, RMT double glow pink squids behind glow dodgers (for early fishing) then switch to hyper plaid and bahama momma dodgers with UV pink, green, pearl, or stick with the DGP sqiuids. It has definently been a squid bite for the last month. Have fun.

Propnut69
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
If the Maverick store in GR does not have the pass,check with the Ace hardware store in GR.

Lundman
07-28-2009, 12:18 PM
When I was at Squaw Hollow over the 4th I did notice they have a self-service pay station for the recreation pass on the sign by the outhouses.

Also the Buckboard Marina store has them and they open at 7 am.

I had already purchased one at the Ace Hardware store in GR but was happy to see they finally have a self-service pay option available.

er-e-is
07-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I called Mr Als is RS and they sell them and open at 5AM, I tried calling Maverick and kept getting a busy signal, will try again in the morning. Thanks for all your help.

Fish4Brains
07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
er-e-ie, Maverick in Green River does have the passes, I work right across the street and asked them.

er-e-is
07-29-2009, 09:35 PM
er-e-ie, Maverick in Green River does have the passes, I work right across the street and asked them.

Thanks, I finally got thru to them today as well.

Another Question - How far behind your flasher do you run your squids? I used to use "Kokanee King's" or "Needle Fish" and put them 18'' - 24'' behind my flasher.

halojm
07-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Run squids 8 to 9 inches behind dodgers depending on the size of the dodgers, I find the closer I have it the better action and more fish I get to the cooler. One more day and I'll be there.tooexcited

koke a nut
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
When I was there in early July, we ran 8-10 inches behind the bahama mama and our best was the cotton candy by RMT. Put a little bend in your blade and that will increase you action. If it turns out cloudy or overcast when you are there, switch to blue or purple, we had one day like that and lost count of the fish. Good Luck

Doug

er-e-is
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
OK, so we were on the road at 3:30AM yesterday heading to the Gorge. Picked up our Rec. pass at Mr. Als in R.S. a little after 5 and were on the water around 6:30. Headed south out of Anvil and saw a small group of boats working an area north of the Pipeline. We joined in and it wasn't long till I hooked a small laker. The "Navy" grew to around 20+ boats but not a lot of fish were being caught, that we could see. We ended up catching 5 lakers, no Kokes. Headed south to the Pipeline and fished for a while longer. Still no Kokes. The W started and we headed back north and fished some coves and shorelines around Anvil. Picked up 3 rainbows. Around 3 PM we loaded up and headed back to Pinedale. We each caught 4 fish so it wasn't a complete bust. We will be back.