PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Great Fishing Let Down?

SuperD
07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Have you ever suffered from "GFLDS", Great Fishing Let Down Syndrome? I fished for 3 weeks out of 4, Montana, Gorge and Alaska. I've come home and while my buddies mention going to a local spot for few and smallish fish, I can't get excited about it. :( I hope it wears off quickly. If you have suffered from GFLDS, how did you recover?

Kokanee Killer
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Idef hear ya on that one super D .......maan when i discovered erie steelhead some 18 years ago.... the numbers size and close by proximity to my home...erie is def WORLD CLASS STEELHEADING and it can ruin ya,,but i have discovered other challanges,,, and funny thing is as i get older,i could care less about size of fish ,,i am just as happy to catch a 6in native brookie in a beautiful surroundings as a 10lb steelhead in a blizzard in erie in dec or jan,,,but i still look forward to my fall koke fishing back home the most,,,for me its more than the fish,,,its the whole experience surroundings fishing with life long buddies,,seasonal colors of salmon and trout and just the fact i get the chance to go as much as i do,, as long as i have that i dont think i will get fish burnout works for methumbsup

MMDON
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
For me it's looking over the tip of that rod. I could do it in a mud puddle and probably be at peace with the world.

SuperD
07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I guess I'm just still in fishing after glow. Give me a few days and I'm sure I'll be horny again. thumbsup

Bduck
07-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I guess I'm just still in fishing after glow. Give me a few days and I'm sure I'll be horny again. thumbsup
Ah Oh, your asking for it now Dave. laugh hyst

FishHunter
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
My father spent 4 years in Alaska in the military in the late '60s and early '70s. He did so much fishing and caught so many great fish that he doesn't get excited about fishing much. Kokanee fishing at the Gorge doesn't excite him and the only way we can get him to go is by promising to fish for macks.

He has suffered with GFLDS for 40 years with little to no cure. I think he caught too many fish too early in life and that ruined his passion for it. I tried to take him to Alaska or Canada 4 years ago and we ended up in Kansas on a whitetail hunt instead.

Luckily (I guess), I haven't spent any time outside CO/WY/UT fishing and haven't personally suffered from GFLDS. Some day I hope to though tooexcited

SuperD
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
FishHunter, at least you have the advantage of being from where you are. Here in the central valley of CA, trout and kokanee are being boiled in 80 degree water temps.

FishHunter
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
FishHunter, at least you have the advantage of being from where you are. Here in the central valley of CA, trout and kokanee are being boiled in 80 degree water temps.

This weekend I was going to meet a buddy in sourthern Utah to fish for trout and he said the locals told him not to bother coming. I guess the water in the lake is so warm that the fish have developed spots on them this year and their meat is really mushy. That doesn't sound very tasty, so we are headed to another lake up in the mountains instead.