PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mesa 8/5

FishHunter
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
My father, a friend, and I fished Blue Mesa on 8/5 from Elk Creek Marina. We trolled west out of the marina through the canyon heading towards Iron Works. We picked up 2 browns and 2 kokes by the end of the canyon at 42 feet. The next fish came 3 hours later near Iron Works at 35 feet. The last fish came 3 hours after that in the canyon at 65 feet. We trolled everything we had in the tackle box at depths ranging from 18 to 65 feet. We only kept 2 kokes because the others were only about one pound.

We trolled all over from the canyon heading west to the second bridge without much success. We were looking for schools of fish to jig, but never saw any. An old timer we met at the cleaning station caught 11 fish in the same amount of time on the south side of the lake. All his fish were caught at 65 feet using copper and black needle fish, but nothing was over 1.5 pounds.

The wind never came up and it was a bit overcast. It was a great day to fish, but a lousy day for catching.

bobco
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
been tough up there, Iola has been fishing the best from reports I'm hearing, everybodys looking for the Iron works fish to show up, maybe a no show this year......

FishHunter
08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Bobco,

You are the closest one to the lake and if you could keep us informed weekly on what is happening with the fishing that would be great. I plan on going back down in 2 to 3 weeks if the fish start schooling for one last trip for the year. Everyone I have talked to is done for the year and getting ready for the hunting seasons.

Thanks in advance for your help.