PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Reservoir - July 18th

OCF
07-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Had a phenominal morning at Strawberry. Arrived at Strawberry Marina at 7:00 a.m. Tried to set out four lines on down riggers. The first hour was crazy - I was working hard to keep two lines in the water at any given time. Wished I had arrived at 6:00; however, the alarm did not go off.

My wife and I ended up catching 33 fish. Nine Kokes and the rest were slot cutts. We had our limit of Kokes and stopped fishing at 11:30 a.m. See attached photo of Kokes. The largest koke was 2 lbs 14 oz. (If you could catch a limit of that size, you could cut down the Flaming Gorge trips!) A couple of the others were 1.5 lbs and the remainder were just over a pound. The largest cutt was about 20-inches. The majority were 15-18 inches.

All fish were caught between 25 & 30 feet in depth out in the middle of the reservoir, between the marina and the old dam site. I was using cheaters on two rods, so I was pulling six bugs through the water most of the morning. The hot bugs were white & pink RMT squids -see attached photo. The best cheater was a hot pink RMT spoon with a tiger strip. (Jared ought to throw me bone for all of this advertising?)

The bite slowed as the morning progressed. Picked up again between 9:30 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. Went through one school during this period and caught 5 fish as three rods tripped almost at the same time (2 kokes & 3 cutts). This is the type of fishing a guy dreams of. Caught six sets of doubles on a single rod today, my all time high.

When we left the fish were still biting.

Petty4life
07-18-2009, 07:08 PM
very nicethumbsup

AFDan52
07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Man, that's the kind of trip that we all dream of. Good on ya.thumbsup

Kokaholic
07-19-2009, 12:31 PM
From your photo looks like that Bahama Mama and the white pearlescent squid set up did well, Along with the cotton candy squid on the other dodger.

Nice report and great job on the catching.

OCF
07-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for clarifing the Dodgers and Squids. I can never remember they names. One problem I have found is that you can not find the large Bahama Mama dodgers in any of the local stores. Why I do not know? The larger dodger has worked alot better for me than the smaller ones. You have to buy direct.

In general you can not find the larger dodgers in any color - I guess that is why I am not in commercial retail.

Bduck
07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I have also noticed that the Sportsmens Warehouse in Riverdale does not carry any of the up to date RMT dodgers & squids. I have found them at either the Anglers Den in Riverdale or at some of the local stores like up at the gorge.

Kokaholic
07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Not sure what Sportsmans issues are with ordering from Jared. They have been going through this change and really unsure whats lying ahead.

I see a good share of the items that you are talking about on Anglers dens shelfs. I know that if you go in and they dont have what you need, let Wade know and he will get it ordered so that we can get it out to you.

You can also go on line and order direct through RMT and get as many as you want. This will allow you to help save on shipping and handeling and get the most out of your order.

Bduck
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I sometimes get frustrated with Sportmens Warehouse waiting for them to change. Your right about Anglers Den. They have it or can get it.

Kokaholic
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Wade and Lance are really on top of things. I also know that the Wholesaler from Hendricks is on the ball too in keeping them well stocked in what is catching fish and what they need on there shelves. Sportsmans, I just cant figure them out,

OCF
07-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Ya, Riverdale is a little far to drive from Utah County. We only have one sportsman's and Cabelas and neither one of these retailers have the large dodgers. I always have to buy direct from Jared.