PDA

View Full Version : Is it the ling?

FISH
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I have said since the first night i fished ling 4yr ago on the spwn beds that the kokes are in trouble,are we starting to see it yet? i would say we are last sat a buddy of mine got 13 off the island at anvil in 2hr 24-32''30+''ling can eat a 12'' koke no problem,and i have cleaned 100's with bass bows and kokes.one goodthing is with the high water fish have some cover again but i really think we are in trouble and there aint jack we can do but kill every one of them mo-fo's i hope to do another burbot bash this yr but we will have to see how things go.get involved and kill the hell out of them i really think the future of are great lake spawner kokes are in trouble. any thing glow from 1''-6'' works great fish from 60ft -8ft tip with sucker and craw scent fish just off the bottom and you will load up on the best eats in FG dark is the best time or as the sun goes down make sure you have a gps and a spot light to find your way home and a good head lamp will help kill'em all ASH off to scout a deerthumbsup

sounds fishy
07-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey FISH, I'm on my way over to spend a couple days at the gorge. I have never fished for ling, but do have a couple fillets of sucker meat in the freezer. Do you have any more advice on techniques and where to target them? I'm not very familiar with the lake so maby some general areas or gps would be helpful. I'm with you though, lets try at the very least slow the ling down as much as possible.

FISH
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey man there is no set spot just rocky points from the confluence to the dam now thay are in greater numbers still from anvil up stream the island at anvil is fishing good and all the cliffs and rocky points around holmes and buckboard are great spots it will take me some time to go find the way points that i have i only have 400+ marks on the gorge so if i can get some time i will do a little searching for some cordis for every one NO LAKER MARKS lmfao a real good spot to start is the spawning beds at holmes straight across from the boat ramp those are the areas we really need to pound hard starting soon mid aug i will be stocking up on meat for my hunts thay are some good eatin little buggers hope this helps in your quest to kill the lingkill'em all ASH

Kokaholic
07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Like Ash said, Any Rocky point or Rocky area that you can get on and set up at Dark. We have had good luck with the Radical glow jigs in 2 1/2 up to 5 inches. Get a bright hand held light to charge the jig up. recharge it quickly after each drop. Some sucker meat and some Crawfish scent really helps. Run it down to the bottom and come up a crank or two from the bottom. Sometimes they like it dead sticked and sometimes a little slight jigging motion will intice them to hit.

They are slimmy as heck. Have an old towel there to help with that issue on your boat. Remember, You cannot release them. You have to kill them and remove them from the lake. Get after them and kill them all to help save our kokes.

er-e-is
07-19-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't believe the "Have to Kill Them" law is still in effect in Wyoming. There is no creel limit though.

Kokaholic
07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
You could be right. But I am sure they still have the no release law in effect dont they? I sure hope so.

FISH
07-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't believe the "Have to Kill Them" law is still in effect in Wyoming. There is no creel limit though.

yes there is no law against realesing them at this time. but if you like FG one bit you had better kill them you dont even have to take them home but take'em out of FG. the G&F screwed up when thay droped the must kill law Iam sure after talking with several wardens it will be in effect again in the 2010 regs i hope like hell. for those that think thay can live in the gorge come fish ling with me one night while the kokes are spawnin and when the bottom of the boat is full of koke eggs you will see what iam saying.most of the lakes that thay are in have pike,lakers,walleye we have one thing to help us at fg but the lakers cant do it alone.

sounds fishy
07-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys, My kids and I will try and do our part, and believe me, if we get lucky enough to catch some, they'll be chillin on the grill, not back in the lake!

er-e-is
07-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I agree 100% with keeping them all and I was not saying that you shouldn't. I think they should put the no release law back in effect.

Bduck
07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Also, don't forget that Utah DNR has planted Tiger Trout to help combat the lings. Its been a couple of years now so there should been some size to the Tigers now. They will be 'patroling' the some of shallow areas where ling like to hang as well. Has anyone caught a Tiger Trout out of the Gorge yet? They are planted in East Canyon Res. and the last one I caught a year ago was about a 1 1/2lbs. Hopefully, the Tigers will keep the ling in check in due time along with the fisherman banging on them.

FISH
07-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Also, don't forget that Utah DNR has planted Tiger Trout to help combat the lings. Its been a couple of years now so there should been some size to the Tigers now. They will be 'patroling' the some of shallow areas where ling like to hang as well. Has anyone caught a Tiger Trout out of the Gorge yet? They are planted in East Canyon Res. and the last one I caught a year ago was about a 1 1/2lbs. Hopefully, the Tigers will keep the ling in check in due time along with the fisherman banging on them.

thay cant plant enuf tiger trout AT 6-8'' THAY ARE JUST MORE FOOD FOR THE LING AND THE LAKERS.browns baby browns thats what we need in about the 10lb range and lots of them ya lets put a pile of predators in walleye next tiger musky and pike would be fun ya utah had a great idea to put smallies in yr ago and guess what happened the main food sourse the chub for the browns got wiped out.i dont know one person who has caught a tiger trout out of hear so that tells me thay was foodlaugh hyst

rowley
07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
food for thought--what would happen if the ling had a bounty on them,
the person who turns in the highest number of ling in a year gets the pot,
say $5000--

Kokaholic
07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I like the idea. It would now be up to who is going to put up the pot. I know right now that unless you go live on the ice this winter, Fish will win it. I would wager that he probably iced over 1500 of them this last winter. I know when I was with him we slayed them.

Until you go fish for these things and see there bellies full of crawfish, rainbos, kokes and smallies, You cant even imagine what they are doing. it is scaary folks.

Bduck
07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
thay cant plant enuf tiger trout AT 6-8'' THAY ARE JUST MORE FOOD FOR THE LING AND THE LAKERS.browns baby browns thats what we need in about the 10lb range and lots of them ya lets put a pile of predators in walleye next tiger musky and pike would be fun ya utah had a great idea to put smallies in yr ago and guess what happened the main food sourse the chub for the browns got wiped out.i dont know one person who has caught a tiger trout out of hear so that tells me thay was foodlaugh hyst Well, at least that was DNR's intention. But you can't always depend on the states to make right decisions. We are on our way to paying for inspections of boats prior to launch. The mussels are coming.

binthere50
07-20-2009, 05:06 PM
How many lings would have to be killed to make a difference?
Is there a way to sterilize the current population?...Time to get biologists
involved, I think.....How about a $2.00 bounty on every ling tail turned in?
And then still pay the $5000.00 to whomever turns in the most tails by next Summer. Maybe Kokanee Power or some other local organization could collect the funds from fisherman(I'll donate $1000.00 right now) or someone collect the money (someone trustworthy that is) and we can
get this started ASAP....I can help with donating money, but I'm in Calif.
Just think if 10,000 lings were killled?, depending on the current population, would that even matter?.....I think it would.....would it be worth it?....Ask everyone who makes a living in connection to Kokanee fishing at Flaming Gorge, ask them if it would be worth it?.......just my 2 cents....

FISH
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
hell ya i will take every ones money in the last yr i have killed over 1500 and with alll the guys i have shown the ropes to i bet we are up around 5000 maybe more.I wish i would have kept dayliy stats it would scare the hell out of every one what the actual #'s are .I would like to find some cod traps and try that when a guy can catch 180+ in 6hrs i think with trapps we could double that in a night?I just dont know what the F&G would think about that maybe a good thing to chat with them about?

Kokanee Killer
07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
here back east in lake erie burbot,cusk lawyer whatever you call them ,,, i agree kill em all,they sure do taste great,poor mans lobsterthumbsup

dbcfr
07-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I will be out there at FG in a week.we will give this night time jigging a shot...I have 4 kids that just love to kill fish...And if they taste good all the better
Dave B <<<<< from the ocean knows how to kill fish...

How do Glow diamond jigs work on them and also glow swim tails?
getting them 10 at a time would work much better...just like a rock cod set up of the old days...10 circle hooks with swim tails and a diamind jig all glow and heavy line...I will give this a try when I am there and let you guys know...the big question is, is there a limit on the amount of hooks you can use at the Gorge or in UT / WY?

FISH
07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
i beleave you can only have 3 hooks per line i maybe wrong but i will check it out sound like a hell of a rig your using i would like to see it . i do the best on a 5'' yammamoto glow grub tiped with sucker and smeely jelly crawfish i have fished it next to about every glow jig i can find and the gary's seem to be the best i was going to go out tonight but i sat at the hpouse and did honey does till it was time to go look at deer it was to windy didnty see much tonight if this wind would die down i would go out and get some fresh meat and pics to show what a pig these things are guts full as thay can get and all thay want to do is keep eating i did try casting for them a week ago but i was to drunk to cast laugh hyst thay are the best eating fish in FG hands down and a lot of people will back me on that.thumbsupgood luck hope you take a pile home with you.ash

dbcfr
07-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Ash,
we will try and get some on the nights we can we have a house boat for a week on the Gorge starting on the 3rd of Aug. Our boat name is "Bite Me" we will have the VHF radio on Ch 16...
Do They taste like Ling Cod that are in the ocean?
if so you should get a com.permit and sell them to a fish market. Big $$$ in that. Put some of the money back in to the Koknee fishery
Dave B
I will bring a few heavy Jig sticks with me and we will play a few nights and I will keep count and let you know.

Propnut69
07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
As someone that has been lucky enough to have fished the gorge for the last 20 years.I definelty feel that the ling, have made a negative impact on the kokanee population. With that said,I do not believe that they are totally to blame for the decline of the kokes. I do believe that the ling have impacted the gorge as a whole.I think that both the smallmouth bass,and the kokes in the gorge are suffering because of the ling. As Ash pointed out earlier,the crawdads numbers are down . . This will create a domino affect on the food chain for the gorge. Just look at how fast the ling have gotten so big.

We all know that the high water this year have made a difference in catch rates. But that is just mother nature at work,and only a short term problem. Sooner or later the water level with return back to normal. I must say that it has been a challenge to go out and have the same kind of days I had last year. It has been a learning experience to say the least. I do think that with the river having a good "flush" this year ,it will help to improve the up stream spawn.

Another thing that I think has impacted the kokes,it the amount of pressure . The popularity of the gorge as a "trophy kokanee fishery" has really taken off in the last 3-4 years. Common sense tells me that the more fishermen, fishing for kokes,the less that survive to spawn. I even seen a boat from Florida up here a couple weeks ago.

With the ling being the eggs suckers that they are .I feel that we will definelty see a decline of the "in lake " spawn. Here is where I see the ling doing the most damage to the koke fishery. Now that the ling are all the way through the lake,no kokanee spawning bed is safe. I know the Wyo G&F and the Utah DWR are taking steps to try and gain some kind of control over the ling. Will it makes any difference,only time will tell. We as koke fisherman need to tell as many people as we can,about how the ling are affecting the gorge.

SuperD
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
If the Gorge Koke population declines, does anyone see that translating into fewer but bigger fish? i.e. a record caught this year?

jacksonlaker
07-22-2009, 09:32 PM
What percentage is the "natural spawn " of the Koke population. I thought it is very low, like 10%. I asked the Game and Fish Biologist here in Jackson about the burbot. He said he did his thesis on Kokanee and could not find an instance where Burbot had affected Kokanee. Are they good for the fisherie ??? Hell no, I say kill 'em all, but I could not find anything on the internet where introduced Burbot had any effect. We do not need any more predators in the Gorge, so I'm not sure if Tiger Trout are the answer. maybe stocking crayfish ???? Then all the fish would have something to eat !!

FISH
07-23-2009, 12:47 AM
What percentage is the "natural spawn " of the Koke population. I thought it is very low, like 10%. I asked the Game and Fish Biologist here in Jackson about the burbot. He said he did his thesis on Kokanee and could not find an instance where Burbot had affected Kokanee. Are they good for the fisherie ??? Hell no, I say kill 'em all, but I could not find anything on the internet where introduced Burbot had any effect. We do not need any more predators in the Gorge, so I'm not sure if Tiger Trout are the answer. maybe stocking crayfish ???? Then all the fish would have something to eat !!

I tell you what you and your source come down in another month and get in my boat and lets see what his thesis is after he is cleaning all the eggs out of the bottom of my boat or is eating the spawn beds out of eggs not an effect then come see the small kokes in feb that are in the bellys of the bigger ling ya he needs to do his thesis on the gorge now or have him call my buddy in gr craig and tell him that thay dont have an effect on the kokes and i will show him different i would bet that the worst thing to happen to the gorge is just starting to happen i hope iam totaly in left field but until some one get's out there and proves me different no biologist that isnt seeing the effects can tell me **** about my back yard.and kokes dont eat crawfish so i dont think that is the problem just my uneducted dumb ass opinion. but we are only scratching the surfice of whats to come.give it another 10yr when the lake trout numbers plumit from the ling eating there eggs just call my buddy kyle with conquest and ask his opinion if mine dont mean thay are haveing an effect that is one thing that pisses me off dont sit behind a desk and asumme get out and see it with your own eyes. a thesis dont mean jack till its a fact jack.i would really like to see waht bodys of water this thesis was taken from it wasnt FG.

Dorado
07-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I tell you what you and your source come down in another month and get in my boat and lets see what his thesis is after he is cleaning all the eggs out of the bottom of my boat or is eating the spawn beds out of eggs not an effect then come see the small kokes in feb that are in the bellys of the bigger ling ya he needs to do his thesis on the gorge now or have him call my buddy in gr craig and tell him that thay dont have an effect on the kokes and i will show him different i would bet that the worst thing to happen to the gorge is just starting to happen i hope iam totaly in left field but until some one get's out there and proves me different no biologist that isnt seeing the effects can tell me **** about my back yard.and kokes dont eat crawfish so i dont think that is the problem just my uneducted dumb ass opinion. but we are only scratching the surfice of whats to come.give it another 10yr when the lake trout numbers plumit from the ling eating there eggs just call my buddy kyle with conquest and ask his opinion if mine dont mean thay are haveing an effect that is one thing that pisses me off dont sit behind a desk and asumme get out and see it with your own eyes. a thesis dont mean jack till its a fact jack.i would really like to see waht bodys of water this thesis was taken from it wasnt FG.

Really? I think maybe you should think before you start attacking people without getting all the facts.

I know Rob, and he is a down to earth, no BS kind guy. He did his MS thesis on kokanee in Flaming Gorge, but it was back in the early 1990's, so obviously the fishery has changed since then. He knows and loves FG.

If you read what he told jacksonlaker, he said he was not aware of a case where burbot affected kokanee. He was not saying that they wouldn't have an effect, but simply that he was not aware of a case where this has happened. I do not think anyone, biologist or avid FG angler can say with any accuracy what effect burbot are going to have.

As far as the "must keep" regulation, I heard that this was discussed, but the wardens shot this down. The fear was that if you kept burbot and threw them out without eating them you would be guilty of "wanton waste" of a game fish. When they tried to write in an exception the regulations got really messy and they nixed it....

Stanson
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok Guys!!! Enough talk it's time for action . The only way you will control the population of Burbot is to kill them, and that is done two or three ways
first you can poison the lake!!I don't think that would work for a Lake like Flaming Gorge They tried that in Ca. it's just two big and the burbot would be the only fish not to be killed.

You can fish for them without a license, out of states fisherman would not need a license to take burbot and that would have to be in both Ut,and WY. and all of the people that benefit from the Kokanee fisheries would put up money for derbys in the winter months!! thats when Burbot fishing is at it's best. Now I mean the people that rely on the business brought on by the Kokanee fisheries. I'm sure they will get there money back.
so the business people of Flaming Gorge need to get this going if you have several derbys in the winter months and you get a thousand's of fisherman fishing for those Burbot you will control them there is no way you are going to get rid of them all together.

The Only way to get rid of them is to control them and that may be though research into there reproduction and that would take a lot of money and time you might be able to that through research with the Derbies to control them.. until they figure out a way to control them through reproduction process.. maybe feed them birth control pills some how they like to eat fish eggs maybe they could figure a way to do that but that might impact other fish may not be a good Idea..

so talk is cheep its time for action get Wyoming FG to change there ways about Burbot, put a no limit and do not release live Burbot back into the lake and both States would not require a license to fish for them. there is a ton of Information on Burbot fishing just Google Burbot fishing you will be informed about how to catch them and they are like the ocean Ling Cob they are Eat-en Machines, they will consume them selves

Put a bounty on the Burbot!!! you get two dollars for every tail.... and the derby would pay the winner of the most burbot caught for derby you could charge an entry fee.... to help out funding the pot for them but you need to make that pot wroth going after I would say 5,000 or more.... might be a good start.

The local business as the most to lose

SK

Ryno
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
All of you are right. Burbot are definitely going to have an impact on the fishery in FGR, whether it's kokanee, smallmouth, lake trout, and/or rainbows. When a new species is introduced, something is going to have to "make room", and currently burbot are doing the pushing.

As indicated, burbot have been observed (through angling and research), utilizing lake trout and kokanee spawn. That means they have the potential to impact kokanee recruitment, from step one. Previous research completed in the reservoir has shown that 95% of the kokanee population is a result of in-reservoir spawning. Those in-reservoir spawning areas are now occupied by burbot. The Green River and Sheep Creek spawning runs have very little input to the overall population, so any impact to the in-reservoir spawning can surely have serious impacts to the kokanee fishery. Both UDWR and WYGF are supplementing the kokanee population by stocking fish. This year almost 1.4 million kokanee fry were stocked into FGR, from the dam all the way up to Firehole.

Burbot have also been observed through angling (by myself and others on this forum), preying on kokanee up to about 14-inches. Although it may be limited, that's also a concern. Most of you also know that the preferred forage of lake trout in the reservoir is kokanee. Research has also shown lake trout are utilizing kokanee up to about 14 inches. What that means is kokanee are fighting predation from a lot of different directions. That's why the lake trout and burbot limit is so liberal on FGR. Anglers can help by harvesting limits of these predators, but yes it will probably take more than that.

Currently, UDWR has "no limit, must kill" on burbot. WYGF has "no limit". Unfortunately, burbot are native to Wyoming and still considered a sportfish. From my understanding, the "must kill" for burbot is regulation that would have to be changed by going through their state's legislative process. This is difficult because they are treating burbot in two different ways based on the drainage where they are being managed.

A lot of anglers have declared personal war on burbot and hopefully it has an effect. As members that read bigfishtackle.com last winter may recall, there was a pretty reduced catch rate for burbot in January near Lost Dog. I like to think this was a result of the number of anglers harvesting burbot from the Lost Dog area. Burbot are on the decline in a lot of their native range, and some of the blame is attributed to angler exploitation. So it's possible.....

Tiger trout were stocked last year by UDWR from Antelope Flat down to Cedar Springs as a possible biological control for burbot. They were excess fingerlings, only about 70K were stocked, and as far as I know no one has seen a return via sampling or angling. Brown trout have historically been stocked by WYGF in the upper reservoir but none have been observed utilizing burbot. Some anglers have reported seeing a some cases of burbot in smallmouth and lake trout stomachs, and netting on Antelope Flat this spring showed a burbot in a lake trout stomach. Burbot also show up in burbot stomachs, which is nice to see.

Research performed on one of the major kokanee spawning areas this spring, was designed to see if burbot were utilizing kokanee fry as they emerge from the redds. No fry predation was observed (although it's still possible), but the burbot catch rates in the nets were amazing. After 5 weeks of netting the burbot catch rate was basically flat line. Nets were set in the same locations, at the same times, for over a month, and almost 40 burbot were caught each week. There was little or no depletion, which would indicate removal via netting would be difficult and costly.

After seeing the turnout for the Burbot Bash put on bigfishtackle.com last year, angler response to the fight against burbot is impressive. A bounty may be difficult to fund, especially with the current economic status, but a tournament could be an opportunity to make an impact. It's obvious looking on the ice at night in January-February, there are a lot of angler pursuing these critters and that would likely mean a big turn out for a ice-derby event. The first step would be getting someone to organize such an event, which could benefit the reservoir in so many ways. As the guys from bigfishtackle.com noted last year from putting on the Burbot Bash, it takes a lot of time and probably money to host such an event. It won't be an easy task but it is possible.

Just wanted to touch on a few of the many concerns and hope it helps some. Thanks, Ryno

er-e-is
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Ryno, Thanks for a informative response to this post. I think that we all agree that the burbot are a big problem and are here to stay. Control sounds like the only answer. Hopefully someone will organize a annual tournament or 2. As a small business owner, I would donate to and participate in such an event. Is it possible to catch them in cod traps as was mentioned in a previous post and is it legal to do so? Is there a market to sell them and is that legal?

binthere50
07-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I think I'll agree with Fish on this one...Burbot have to go if the Kokes want to have a chance to survive....They can study this all they want....bottom line is this, get rid of the lings and there will be more Kokes in the Gorge.
Get rid of anything that eats koke eggs, and baby kokes, and you will have more kokes.....if Mother Nature does something in the meantime that reduces Koke populations then so be it, because we all know they would rebound in time, but when predators are eating the spawn, fry, eggs, and baby's...well...then you have a problem amigos......Kill em all Fish!!!

Dorado
07-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I think I'll agree with Fish on this one...Burbot have to go if the Kokes want to have a chance to survive....They can study this all they want....bottom line is this, get rid of the lings and there will be more Kokes in the Gorge.
Get rid of anything that eats koke eggs, and baby kokes, and you will have more kokes.....if Mother Nature does something in the meantime that reduces Koke populations then so be it, because we all know they would rebound in time, but when predators are eating the spawn, fry, eggs, and baby's...well...then you have a problem amigos......Kill em all Fish!!!

Who is saying that they are going to study anything?

Kill all the burbot you can! Just leave the blame game to the bucket stockers that started this mess.....

binthere50
07-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Cod traps are a very real option....I have fished commercially in Calif in past
years and know they work...long lines with hundreds of baited hooks on the bottom with floats/buoys would work as well. If it is legal then I would bet a months wages that the Asian Community in Salt Lake, L.A. San Francisco, etc...would pay decent money for fresh or fresh frozen ling...hell it's probably one of their fish anyways!......Somebody check the regs for commercial harvest of Burbot in Wyo-Ut...if it is not legal, I would think they would make some special circumstance for the Gorge for a few fisherman who would do it right...If you ever want to get rid of a species, make it a commercial target....works every time!!......

binthere50
07-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Your right Dorado...Fish and Game or their biologists are not to blame.
The idiots who put them in the lake are....you are correct. But, they are not the answer either, unless they allow the commercial harvest or make some concession to the fact that this is a problem, and if they allow that, they can help us help the Gorge.....

dbcfr
07-24-2009, 02:27 AM
A+ for binthere50...Mike is right you find a market for them and they will be gone. The commercial guys would take every last one if there was a profit to be made...
Dave B

binthere50
07-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Everyone is right on this subject...very good discussion....I've only been to the Gorge once and I already KNOW the value of this Kokanee fishery.
I will contact a friend of mine here on the Calif. Coast whos owns a rather large wholesale fish company, I'll ask him about this and what he thinks of the burbot as a commodity. If you google "commercial harvest burbot" there is some interesting info there....they actually harvest them in the Great Lakes to some degree....we are learning more through this discussion. This is all good stuff now.......Someone who knows how to talk "commercial fishing" needs to contact Wy or Ut Fish and Game to see if anyone there even knows about this scenario...If enough people ask the right questions to the right people, my feeling is something will come of it.
If a guy who lives by the Gorge can spend evenings during the off-season and make some money, I can see no better motivation to control these fish..It makes sense. There MUST be money to be made though....unfortunatly that is the only thing that matters. A few people catching hundreds perhaps thousands of these fish each can make a huge dent in them....if they can make some money doing it, they will do it with gusto and determination.....I know Men...lol.......I'll report my findings with the fish seller I know......keep the think tank going gentlemen....Mike

Stanson
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I think I started something and the commercial fishing sounds good, I'm sure there is a market for fresh Burbot meat they could sell it to fish processing plants and then sell it to the general public.

and were's another idea... all of you professional fishing guide services need to step up to the plate on this one and offer taking kids Burbot fishing. I'm sure the kids would love catching those Burbot (lings) Like I said before the people that beneifit the most from the kokanee fisheriers...needs to get this moving and that is everyone that makes money directly or indirectly from the Kokanee fisheries...

Keep the ideas coming.... teamwork always works... check out these wed addresses
http://www.kutv.com/content/outdoors/story/Burbot-Fish/41yFjeOYgEi58GBgMXCFaw.cspx
http://www.metsastys-kalastus.com/english/fishing/burbot.html
http://gf.state.wy.us/fish/AAC/Burbot/index.asp
SK

SuperD
07-24-2009, 02:54 PM
all of you professional fishing guide services need to step up to the plate on this one and offer taking kids Burbot fishing.

I had the impression that burbot were only caught in the dark. If true, not real conducive to guide service and kids.

Ryno
07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Is it possible to catch them in cod traps as was mentioned in a previous post and is it legal to do so? Is there a market to sell them and is that legal?

I've used them quite a few times. Baited traps are effective for burbot, although I haven't been extremely impressed with the catch rates. As the proclamations read, it looks like you can trapnet non-game fish in Utah, I didn't see a restriction on the size of the trap. In Wyoming you can trapnet fish, but it looks like you need a special license (?). There is a net size restriction too, 12" wide/deep by 36" long which is pretty small.

Not sure what the commercial market would be like. I've read some documents where Canada was trying to develop a market for freshwater cod (burbot) liver oil. Apparently, the Atlantic cod stock is down which was impacting cod liver production. Makes sense, but I'm not sure there is a huge demand for cod liver oil.

All good questions, but it might be better to pick the brains of someone from law enforcement before setting some cod traps in the Gorge.

Ryno
07-25-2009, 01:18 PM

No one would disagree with that, but it's important to remember it's not just burbot eating kokes. They've got a lot of predators (see pic). Just like us, it appears everything on the Gorge finds them appetizing!

Kokaholic
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I spoke with Curt. Curt is the Main contact at BFT(Wiperhunter2) who put together the Burbot bash ast year. He is wanting to put this together again. He spoke with represenative from teh Green River Chamber of Commerce who assists in getting the derbys and fishing contests put to getehr in that area. They want to put this thing together to help work on this problem. So, There is something in the works. We need to support this cause. It could be a great outing and oppertunity to go go out and put a little dent in these critters. Ash, get with me, Curt wants to talk with you and pick your brain again on some ideas.

binthere50
07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Great going on that!!...I will be there on Tuesday to fish Kokes and maybe Mack's...and I will go for some Burb's for sure.....I tried to contact the fish buyer friend I have, but he was out of town on vacation...I will not forget to follow up on that....

watermaker
07-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey Ash, look out for my California boys coming back. The older one is a real piece of work i.e. great guy. The other two culls arent worth the gun powder to blow'em to kingdom come. Keep an eye on'em for me. The California dude with with the camo leg... You had a really good name for us boyz from california at the KFF BBQ. Good fishing and hunting.

FISH
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
what a bunch of great koke suckers never thought cali could have good people in it lol fishin has been good no toads but some great fish think thay are havein a little fun.thumbsupto bad your missing out we are going for the lling tommorow.fencing