PDA

View Full Version : Networking two Lowrance units

Kokanee Wizard
07-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I've been asked a couple of time how I networked two Lowrance units so I've created a graphic that lays out the components. Basically the sonar data is shared on the yellow ethernet and the GPS and engine data shared on the N2K network. As I understand, there's too much data flowing to be all on one network so the sonar was put on a seperate ethernet network.

This illustration is a little more advanced as it also includes connections for fuel flow and engine data. The newer HDS units no longer power the NEMA 2000 network so this graphic also includes a 'T' and a power connector that's not needed on pre HDS units.

The NEMA2000 shown in black with red connectors and the other is the Ethernet shown in yellow with yellow connetors. The Ethernet yellow extension cable has male connectors on both ends making it a straight end to end connection. That is to say no 'Ts' or terminating resistors on the yellow network.

One of the first steps is to verify that the GPS/Fishfinder units are 2007 or newer. An easy way is to look for both a yellow ethernet and a red (or black on HDS units) NEMA2000 connector on the back of the GPS/Fishfinder. Then review and take an inventory of what connectors you have. A few boats that I've networked for friends already had two T's and the two terminating resistors for the external GPS antenna connection. A number of on-line vendors carry the various connectors and cables but I strongly advise having them check inventory as they tend to run out rather quickly especially during the busy summer months.

http://www.home.surewest.net/kokaneewizard/Pictures/Graphics/Lowrance_network.jpg