PDA

View Full Version : Late report from Ca. guy;

Mickey Thomas
07-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry for not getting my report in sooner, but things have been crazy in California and I take a lot of naps these days.
I was at Lucerne for a week starting June 19th. Things were slow with the rising water up north so I stay south and did pretty well. My first day I boated 14 Koke's and put my personal best a 4 1/2 pound buck in the boat. Good start for sure, I was fishing mostly Wild horse.
Second day we did better Martinez Frank and I boated over 20 fish and I had another personal best at 4 3/4 pounder.
Everyday but one day was better than the day before, lots of 4 pounders, lots of 3's, and we even did well fishing for Rainbows in the evenings too. As usual I had a great time at my favorite out of state lake. Heck, ok, I admit it, it's my favorite lake of all timethumbsup.
Tried to find Jarad but he was so busy with the Kokoneemart guys we didn't make contact. Maybe next year.
Anvil Draw, Wild horse, and the pipe line were my best spots, we also did well on out trip up the canyon around Beehive. We didn't have the 30-40 fish days we had last year but the quality and size of the Koke's this year made it my best fishing trip ever. Thank you Wyoming and Utah for your hospitaltythumbsup

justfish
07-16-2009, 05:05 PM
great report ;glad you had a great time. sounds like you found the koke

Kokanee Wizard
07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Dear Rip van Winkle,
Maybe next time you could at least post a report in the same month.

stomper

some 'nap' lol

Fort_Bragger
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Dear Rip van Winkle,
Maybe next time you could at least post a report in the same month.

stomper

some 'nap' lol

I'm fairly new to this Board, and it definitely takes some getting use to. I fished the same week as Mickey in June. I'm also trying to stay low key until I get a feel here to see if there is any, or how much resentment, is aimed at California fishermen. I'm still trying to get out this #@%* state. That's proving to be a bigger roadblock than I though it would be.

Mickey and I, and the rest of the crew, are trying to put together an extended stay next year. A lot depends on $$.
Ben.

Mickey Thomas
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
We did have a great trip, I'm supprised that there aren't more reports from you local guys about this great fishery, either you're thinking someone will find "your" spot or you're just not used to sharing info. Either way is fine with me, I'd just like to read what I'm missing while I'm reeling in these small California Kokes after I get back from the Gorge

Kokaholic
07-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Its not that we dont trust you on shareing posts and info on our trips or even anything against those from California.

All are welcome at KFF. I have met many from California and have made some great friends with these great guys. We just get a little jaded. We have all really enjoyed the Gorge and could maybe even take it for granted sometimes. I really feel that we dont realize just how good we have it here.

It has been a difficult, tough year for all of us up here. The riseing water and influx of feed coming in has really got these fish all turned around. None of us have had the days on the lake that we have had in years past. The gorge has had all of us scratching our heads out there some days. There are good quality fish in there again this year.

I also feel that we will continue to start to see a small, slow decline in the kokanee numbers around here due to fishing pressure, but more in part to the Burbot devastating the eggs when the kokes go in to spawn. I cant even begin to tell you just how much that fish is destroying our quality Kokanee fishery!

What we need to do is get all of the fisherman from California and surrounding states to come over here this winter and help catch as many ling as we can and help do our part to get as many of them out of there as we can. If you think Kokanee is good eating, wait till you eat burbot! now that is good eating.

We enjoy all of you here at KFF from California, Colorado, and all parts around. Even Penssylvania!laugh hyst

Remember, there is also the Private message option that you can email a member and they can talk with you privately. Its the folks that wont take the time to join and then in turn share there info with everyone else that we kinda frown on.

Glad to have you here in the KFF family!

Fort_Bragger
07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
My personal feelings are that by trying not to attract fishermen, you may actually be harming your fisheries. In this day of instant information, you can't hide with your head in the sand. The great fishing at the Gorge is known....everywhere. It would be far more productive to actually promote the great fishing you have. Urban development IMO is the only thing that would threaten the Gorge. It's remoteness and size makes it difficult to harm by the shear numbers of fishermen. If I read your board right, invasive species may be a much bigger immediate threat. How is fewer fishermen going to aid in that battle? More fishermen, and not fewer will bring in the fees to fight the decline of the Lake brought on by Burbots.
Ben.

Kokaholic
07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I agree, We will all to soon see the invasive species you talk of much sooner than we want.