PDA

View Full Version : McClure Lake 7/13

dbcfr
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I took my girls (8 & 14) up to the lake for a training mission before our Flaming Gorge trip to teach them how to use the boat and downriggers and shuttle hawks and by the end of the day Brittny 14 was working the downriggers like a pro keeping 2 riggers and 4 rods in the water (only the girls were fishing)
our count for the day was:
37 Long dis releases
10 Koknee 14"to 16" keepers, 7 smaller koknee released at net
4 Kings 2 keepers and 2 released at net
1 Rainbow 20" released at net

all fish were at the dam in 45' 58 deg water on pink 1.5 Apex above home made ball trolls and Orange RMT spinner hoochies & Hyper plaid doggers on the shuttle hawks / Corn with sent, Koknee S/P w/pink UV dye and sand shrimp/garlic

meetered good groups of fish at 110' to 130' just didn't want to work them with only the girls on the boat plus I made a deal with them that I wouldn't get involved with their fishing stratgy. I let them call all the shots including finding the fish on the meter and picking the jigs and bait flavors
all and all it was a very good day I was only there to net fish and the safety part of it. I think there ready I know my boys ( 15 and 16 ) are.

now on to Shaver Lake Saturday with older daughter and son-n-law and grandson.

Fishon18
07-14-2009, 08:59 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen a McClure report. Good to hear your finding the kokanee with some size to them. The Merced Irrigation District manages the water there and usually dumps a majority of it to the local farmers making it difficult to fish at times, but good report. Any size to the Kings? Thanks for sharing......

Scott

HiTechKoke
07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Great report Dave and I love that strategy of being net Dad! My older daughter 13 runs a tight ship when she is with me and barks out to any slackers!... :-) I have no idea where she gets it from.

dbcfr
07-15-2009, 01:56 AM
It's been a long time since I've seen a McClure report. Good to hear your finding the kokanee with some size to them. The Merced Irrigation District manages the water there and usually dumps a majority of it to the local farmers making it difficult to fish at times, but good report. Any size to the Kings? Thanks for sharing......

Scott

Scott,
I was there fishing with a Fish and Aquatic Biologist from Scotland on 6/26 he is also a fly fishing buddy and we were fishing deeper at 70' around the dam and the King salmon were much bigger then this time we got one at 20" and one at 19" and released 2 at 15" the kings a month ago were 24" to 28" this trip I did meter fish at 110' to 130' but we didn't work them I may just go back in a few days and give them a try