PDA

View Full Version : Hardest fighting fish?

Kokanee Killer
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM
hey fellas, thought i would throw a rock in the hornets nest and run.. in your opinions what is your hardest fighting fish???

Bduck
07-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Back in the early 70's, I was shore fishing Guntersville Lake in Northern Alabama, when I nailed into a fish that I thought was a bass. I must have fought this fish for a good 45 min. I could never get it close enough to take a peek at it. It never broke surface but it would leave a boil on the surface occasionally. When I finally got it in, which it was still fighting, turned out to be a 24in alligator gar. It was one of the most hard fought battles I have ever encountered. My line should have broke off but I guess I was just lucky. These fish fight and never give up. There not the best looking fish either. Prehistoric :eek:

MMDON
07-13-2009, 09:33 AM
In the ocean it's probably the Black Marlin.

In fresh water a River Run King will spool you pretty quick.

My toughest fresh water battles would be without a doubt an Oversize Sturgy!

dbcfr
07-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Well, thats a toss up
Saltwater:
stand up long range yellowfinTuna 300+#(blistering 500+yd runs) my biggest is 311 lbs 12oz
Threasher shark over 450#(I had a 450# thearsher pull my boat side ways at 6kts in to a 15 kt wind for 1 1/2 hrs 24' skipjack couldn't get the rod out of the holder and took the down rigger off the back of the boat, as she went by she wraped the cable) or a big Mako shark (they like to jump in the boat and put you on the food list,I had one take a bite out of a teak swim step)
or pound for pound Yellowtail (there crafty and smart) or Rooster fish in the 30# to 40# class on light line
my worst fight would have to be a 150# bluefin tuna or a 9' jig rod and 40#line
top water jig with no hooks we were filming a video and playing with breezing fish and one attcked my jig and the jig went in the mouth and out the gill and he was on for almost 3 hrs, but he tasted good thumbsup

in fresh water it would have to be a big sturgeon (but there mild when compared to a shark or tuna)

Mojo
07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Pound for pound Chum Salmon, when fresh from the ocean. Although I got a 72 pound Kenai King that was probably my best salmon fight ever. Big sturgeon are a lot of fun too, but they are much bigger than any other fresh water fish.

In the salt, pound for pound either a bonefish, permit, or tuna. I've never caught a big bonefish but the 3 to 5 pounders I caught in acsencion bay were smokers on fly gear. Tuna just flat out put the wood to you.