PDA

View Full Version : 4 day Merwin Koke madness

smokin' Kokes
07-11-2009, 01:53 PM
fished Merwin 4 days starting Tues 7th. limit each day. better fishing the first 3 days with the overcast sky. Friday was slower with hot clear sky sun, even pre sunrise was slow, weather change with the high blowing in.
wind in afternoons can make for rough trolling.
all caught on chopped off squid 1" long with small corkie inside in front of 2 #6 Gami's red tied on 10 lb fluorocarbon. 2' back of red/chrome custom bent sling blade. white shoe peg on back hook. try the female koke egg sack on the front hook also, results will surprise you

on the downrigger ball at 60' was 48" chrome/prism Cowbells
3' above Cowbells on clipon and 3>5' behind cowbells was the Kokamagic.

troll speed 1.2 to 1.4 knots GPS. go west for fish. most caught near shore in 100 to 130'. both N and S banks
they're getting nice and fat, full of green algae slim. not as big as last year but have the hog gut.

by myself so netting a crazy female koke jumper is funtooexcitedlaugh hysttongue2

used to fish for Merwin kokes 45 years ago off the top of the dam at night under the lights. what a kick

MackPrince
07-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Great report SK. Maybe the bite is finally on.

Were the fish schooled up or scattered still?

smokin' Kokes
07-11-2009, 03:21 PM
schooled up but on the move. thermocline at 35'
fish on sonar from 30' down but I could only get the deeper ones to bite. 50'+

the water level is down 6>8' from max. making the boat docks shorter

Kokonuts
07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Great Report!! thumbsup I cant wait until next week when I can get back up to the Lake. I've learned a lot this week thanks to you guys & I've got a new SUPER SECRET SQUID!! laugh hyst......Kokonuts

Alphaboat
07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Merwin has been so slow this year I have been concentrating on Yale....and getting some nice fish by the way...up to 15". But Yale fish are typically smaller than the fish in Merwin with less girth as well. After reading your post I decided to give Merwin another look this morning. Launched 1t 6:30....water is down as reported...and motored down to Woodland Park. Marked fish at 30'-60'. Went with a RMT blue bahama mama and RMT 1.5" squid in purple haze. Berkeley gulp maggot and pautske egg on each hook. Ran the rigger at 57' and used 60' set-back. Caught a limit by 10:45 (and "long line released" just as many in the process..all fish were 14"-15" and very healthy and fat....reall foot balls!
Finally, the bite is on at Merwin!