PDA

View Full Version : July 4th weekend- Canyon report

Ryno
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Man, it was a tough weekend for kokes down in the canyon. The trolling tally was as follows:

Friday- 2 hours, a koke, a bow, & two losses in Jarvies Canyon.

Saturday- 4 hours, a koke, a bow, a laker, and one loss between Jarvies and Skull Creek.

Sunday- 3.5 hours, 3 bows, 6 lakers, and one loss at Carter Creek.

We marked fish in each location, mostly between 30-50ft, but struggled for hits. I tried a lot of different tackle, depths, speed, and prayers, but couldn't put anything together. I didn't see many fish boated either, so I assume the fishing was slow in general. All fish were caught on a hyperplaid Signature dodger with a Radical red tube and/or a Tequila sunrise Serpent spoon. On a positive note, a friend of mine found some kokes fishing around Jarvies the morning of July 6th. He caught 4 kokes and two losses in about 2.5 hours of trolling using Needlefish in pearl/red and Serpent spoons in Hyperglow orange hot head.

Water temps are between 65-70F, and reservoir is still on the rise. Hope it helps, Ryno

halojm
07-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info Ryno I plan on being up there this weekend but will probably stay between the canyons and pipeline. I have some favorite spots I'd like to try before I venture to new areas. Hope the water starts to clear soon. No rain lately so I hope tha will help.

Code4
07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Guys,

I get emails at work from the folks running the damn at Fontenelle. The water level is supposed to be going down from roughly 8000 cf/s to 7000 any day. That is still running fairly high but it is a bit cleaner running through GR than it was.

Code4
07-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Update today on the water levels in the Green from Fontenelle is that it is going from 7000 cfs down to 6000 cfs today, 7-8-09.

Kokehead
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Update today on the water levels in the Green from Fontenelle is that it is going from 7000 cfs down to 6000 cfs today, 7-8-09.

Thank for the updates. That kinda info is very helpful.

binthere50
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much for the info on the water conditions....!

Code4
07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
No problem. I will give any updates on the water levels that I receive. The river through G.R. has noticeably gone down in the last two days and the water appears to be clearing more every day. No rain in the last week or so either.

Propnut69
07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Code4 ,thanks for the updates I live in G.R.,and have noticed a drop in the river also. As to how long will it take to affect the level at the gorge remains to be seen. I know that there are federal mandates,as to how much water can be released from the Flaming gorge dam. They have minimum,and maximum outputs that they have to adhere to.So time will tell as to how long we will see a significant drop in water level at the gorge.. August is shaping up to be a great month for koke fishing on the gorge through. Hard to believe that we only have two months left ,til the koke season closes.

Code4
07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Sure, as I said I will pass on info as I get it at work. I get no information about the out flow from the damn but I think the water will stay higher than normal for a while. Been a long time since the Green was this full this late in the year. It is sad to say that in a couple months the kokes will be closedcrymeariver. Where has the summer gone already!? Seems like it just started and I agree, the koke fishing is just heating up. It will be really good about the time I am trying to bow hunt while the Gorge is pulling me that way as well....so many hobbies, so little time! Hey, BTW, we met at Jared's deal at RM Sporting goods a few Saturday's ago. I was the tall guy that bought a bunch more RMT stuff! Hopefully we can run into each other on the water. My boat is a blue and grey Four Winns with "Code 4" down both sides so if you see it give me a shout. I am giving Fontenelle a shot this Sunday but then will be at the Gorge sometime next week.

FISH
07-10-2009, 01:12 PM
fished yesterday got 4 kokes and 1 bow and all you have to worry about now is all the danm grass floating in big patches allmost lookin like the lake is turning over now, hell are we goin to get a brake. still a ton of crap in the water.

Propnut69
07-10-2009, 07:02 PM
" Hey, BTW, we met at Jared's deal at RM Sporting goods a few Saturday's ago. I was the tall guy that bought a bunch more RMT stuff! "

I remember you ,glad you decided to join the fun here at KFF. I figured you were a LEO by your screename,not sure what a code 4 is through...let us know how you did on Fontenelle..............I'm very courious ,as to how fontenelle is fishing.

Code4
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Propnut69,
Well, be bagged the trip up to Fontenelle. Buddy went up Thursday and fished until Saturday. It was slow and there is now a serious algie bloom going on that junks up the lines. I guess it is pretty bad so we went to the Gorge. Got into them first thing in the morning pretty well. Seemed to prefer green stuff early, then switched to pink later on. I wouldn't say it was hot but we ended up boating four and lost probably 7 more throughout the day. Some fish barely hit and others would almost rip the rod out of the holderthumbsup. All in all a great day.

Propnut69
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Well sounds like you had good info,and a good reason to bag fontenelle. I 'm a little surprised to see a algae bloom so early in the season. Usually that don't come on til August. Maybe having so much water coming into fontenelle this year,has caused the algae to stir up to the top faster then normal.Any way glad you got into some fish at the gorge.thumbsup