PDA

View Full Version : Losing fish????????????????

Mossback
07-07-2009, 12:47 AM
awh yes,

A fiesty Koke and a net w/o a longer handle and a loss fish? Sound familiar? Well if not, your not fish'in Kokes laugh hyst.

I have gone years with this frustration and adjusted my tackle to minimize the loss. Then this year I met an ole and trusted friend who in my opinion is the Kokanne King. This guy does not post but has spent his life on the water mastering chinook mooching and in the last 10 years seeking out the Kokes. This gentleman is one of Washington's best. The secret, those red Gamu hooks. Try the red #2's drop shot's. I have cut my loss 75%!!!tooexcited.

Try 'em.....you'll like 'em!

Mossback

Fallriverguy
07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I am now only using the larger drop shot or sickle hooks.

DLM
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Dropshot #4, sometimes #2 and a drag so light you barely make any progress with constant reeling.

SuperD
07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
....... and a drag so light you barely make any progress with constant reeling.

Good time to put the clicker on and listen to the music. thumbsup

Dropshot
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
My cousin said his dads rule was that if a 6 inch fish cant take line your drag was to tight. Agreed.

SuperD
07-08-2009, 10:22 AM
My cousin said his dads rule was that if a 6 inch fish cant take line your drag was to tight. Agreed.

It can also certainly be set too loose. There is a fine line between the two. Too loose allows the fish to break tension in the line.

MMDON
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
It can also certainly be set too loose. There is a fine line between the two. Too loose allows the fish to break tension in the line.

+1 You have to maintain contact with the fish. If the drag is too loose and the fish is allowed to free swim with no bend in the rod it's gone.

Mojo
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
+1 You have to maintain contact with the fish. If the drag is too loose and the fish is allowed to free swim with no bend in the rod it's gone.

A classic newbie mistake. I recently took a co-worker, his wife and son koke fishing. THe boy lost many nice fish because he wasn't keeping up with the fish. A slight bit if slack and a quick head-shake and it was gone. Also a little slack allows the fish to leverage the drag created by dodgers or pop-gear and slip the hook.

Mark me as a +2 :D

Fallriverguy
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
On smaller fish I think you can get away with a very lose drag. Granted, it must be tight enough to keep up with a fish. With larger fish I have found I need to keep my drag tighter or I end up loosing more fish.

DLM
07-08-2009, 06:02 PM
As soon as I trip the release I back to drag way off, constantly reeling, maintaining a slight bend in the rod. If I am not making any progress while the fish is cooperating then I tighten up a click at a time. I want to make progress when the fish is willing but be set light enough that if they want to run they can, always maintaining some rod bend.

I also throw the boat in neutral if I am alone or start a slow (idle speed) curve towards the side of the boat with the fish on if we have both rods out.