PDA

View Full Version : July 3rd-5th Report

Lundman
07-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Headed up Thursday mid afternoon in the rain - went past Evantson because it was raining hard and headed onto Green River - after getting gas and finding the Smith's store for grocery's the rain caught up to us. Went to the Don Pedros and had a nice dinner and then onto Ace Hardware store and pickup our Recreation Pass and saw they have a great fishing tackle selection. Anyway got down to Holmes Crossing about 8:30 to find a spot to setup camp amoung the 4th of July weekenders.... lots of them.

Got up the next morning at 7 (I'm a late riser) and on the water by 8. The dock was about 4 inches underwater and a nice guy hooked up his truck and pulled it out of the water so it was usable.

Here's the low-down ---- water is raising 6 inches per day and is stained past the ranch house. No real water hazards to worry about but some areas do have some floating saw dust looking stuff on the surface.

How did we do fishing - ??

On Friday we were averaging one to two fish per hour and I here we were doing better than most. We ended up catching 9 and keeping 3 with the largest at 3 lbs 15 oz. and the other two just above 3 pounds. Weather on Friday was great but we were off the water by 2.

Saturday we headed down by the farm house and struck out so we headed back up to the cliffs at Holmes crossing. We caught 5 and lost a least 3 more. We ended up keeping 2 nice 3.5 pounders. Big Bad weather front came through at 2 p.m. Major wind & rain for 30 mins or so... We went back out for the evening troll and lost two huge kokes... the pit-bull ones that you know are close to 5 lbers... crymeariver

Sunday - I had find some clear water so we headed to Anvil and launched and headed to the Pipeline - I learned to fish this area and knew we could get our one last keeper but we found the boats were hammering most of the spots.... so we hung around trying different things and finally figured out what the secret was --- earlier up lake I was catching most fish at 13' -16' feet in the morning and 33' - 36' in the afternoon. Well in the clear water where the boat squadron had been beating on the head I had to go 35' - 45' to get fish. Once I made this adjustment and went small on the dodger & short on the leader length we started picking up dinks... then got our last 3.5 pounders.

So this trip was a learning experience... I learned that the reason I had lost two huge kokes by having the 14 pound leader break was because the swival clasp on the bottom of the 8" dodger had cut the line -- Now I know

In the stained water a color that was working was white with a red head...

The dock guys at Buckboard said water condition had improved greatly from last week.

There is only about 3' or 4' left for the lake to rise... then it will be FULL..

We'll probably head back in about 3 weeks.... sorry no pictures - forgot the camera...

MMDON
07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Very Detailed Report Lundman! Wow, the water is still rising 6" a day. This is a big water year! Interesting about going small at that depth. I'll have to add that to the notes.

Thanks!

justfish
07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
we also went up this past weekend I agree with lundman friday was slow but saturday was fast and hot pick up about 30 fish in 3 hours 3.5lb -4.5 sunday fish the pipe line late start 10:00 am fishing was very fast but fish only 2.25. - 3.0 we will go back up on the 24th

halojm
07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Great info guys. Can't wait to get up there this weekend. Sounds like the wate is starting to clear. Koks beware.

Code4
07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Lundman,

Just out of curiosity, what brand/kind of 8" dodgers do you use? I really never use anything that big. I mainly run the RMT stuff and other brands that are about that size, maybe 5" are my biggest. Thanks.

Mojo
07-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Lundman,

Just out of curiosity, what brand/kind of 8" dodgers do you use? I really never use anything that big. I mainly run the RMT stuff and other brands that are about that size, maybe 5" are my biggest. Thanks.

I have done well several trips this season on the Pro-Troll with the E-Chip in 8 inch size.

Code4
07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks Mojo. So you are talking flashers, not dodgers, correct? I have some larger flashers I really have only used for lakers but I may have to try them on kokes. Trolled fast or slow, maybe these are all kind of stupid questions but I have really struggled as of late so I am looking for any advise right now. worthy12

Lundman
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I have done well several trips this season on the Pro-Troll with the E-Chip in 8 inch size.

I'm pretty sure they are "Les Davis" Dodgers - fished the same way as the smaller ones - just a longer leader - usally 24" to 36" in clear water. Just check the action of your lure and adjust the leader length as necessary.