PDA

View Full Version : Loon Lake

sthoge
07-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Went fishing on the 4th, my wife and I took our 7 year old grandson to Loon Lake. We went to the public launch and were on the water around 7. Another guy launching his boat said they were hitting at 30 feet out toward the middle of the lake.
My first experience was with the boat launch area, very shallow water for a ways out, lots of mud was churning up even though I had the motor raised up. Anyway, got out on the lake and saw several boats trolling a short distance out from the launch.
We dropped our lines in using a spinner setup followed by wedding rings using maggots for bait. Got the grandsons rig out and then mine out and was helping my wife get set up and had a fish on before we could get hers out. The fish put up a good fight and flipped loose just off the back corner of the boat. Got back out and continues trolling and the wife caught the first fish in the boat. Ended up setting up the down riggers to get two of he poles down to 30 feet. We had several hits and about a 50 % catch rate.
Ended up with 4 fish in the boat total, two 10 inches, one 12 and one 13, all males.

We had a fun day and it was sunny and hot, got up into the 90s. I didn't care for the boat ramp, as you could only get one or two boats in the narrow area at a time and you had to watch out for the mud.

MackPrince
07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah! A report from my home lake. I fished there for years before moving west.

The public launch was built in a previous wetlands area, therefor it's worth the day use fee to launch at Granite Pointe or Shore Acres resorts.

Great report ST, and I recommend trying still fishing for them at night there sometime.

sthoge
07-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah! A report from my home lake. I fished there for years before moving west.

The public launch was built in a previous wetlands area, therefor it's worth the day use fee to launch at Granite Pointe or Shore Acres resorts.

Great report ST, and I recommend trying still fishing for them at night there sometime.

We stopped on the way out at Granite Point and was amazed at the price, they wanted to charge for vehicle parking, per person fee and a launch fee. For my wife and myself, they wanted 20 bucks. We need to go up and scope out the other launches and figure out where the best one would be. I don't know if Granite point was because of the 4th or what but I can't see spending 20 bucks just to launch and go fishing.

We may try going night fishing there one of these times. What kind of rigging to you use at night?

sthoge
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Wife and I went out Friday night and tried our hand at the night fishing. I caught a 4 incher and a bluegill, but other than that it was a bust.

We went to the shallows on the north end, anchored the boat and crawled into the cabin and spent the night. Got of Saturday morning and started fishing and managed to get a couple at the north end. Decided to start trolling toward Granite point and bumped into a biting school part way there. Worked that school until around 10am and ended up with 9 fish total. One was 11 inches and the rest were around 13. It was starting to get hot out so we decided to try and beat the masses trying to get out on the lake to play. Getting the boat out of the water this time wasn't as hectic as it was late in the afternoon on the 4th.

sthoge
07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks MacPrince for pointing me to this lake. I took my youngest son Sunday morning and we caught 5 Kokes all around 12 to 13 inches except for one small 8 incher. My son also caught a 14 inch brown. That's the first one I've ever seen. It was windy part of the morning, but not a real big issue. I'm starting to get used to the public ramp. Figured out to get in by noon before the boats start arriving to play on the lake.

Steve.