PDA

View Full Version : Are Waterfowl Spreading Invasives

MMDON
07-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I have been through the boat inspections and charged money to buy stickers but my question is, are waterfowl carrying invasive weed seeds and different organisms from lake to lake? It would seem to me that most small invasives are moved by waterfowl rather then by human beings. While I agree that we should all take precautions against moving them with out boats or waders soles, I'm wondering if that is doing any good at all? fencing

Mojo
07-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Waterfowl may transfer some species, but zebra and quagga mussles wouldn't be able to attach to the birds and wouldn't be transferred that way. I don't know about the larval stages of thos critters, but I would suspect they don't live long out of water. The adults can because they keep water in the shells.

MMDON
07-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Small mussels can't attach themselves to the feathers of birds but they can attach to my boat. Also bottom feeding birds won't consume mussels and then digest and pass them in some other water with the mussel remaining alive. I've heard biologists worry about both being quite plausible. Why don't you feel that is possible?

Kokanee Killer
07-05-2009, 11:07 PM
felt soled waders are said to be a carrier of invasive species larva seeds etc,,lots of anglers fish different parts of this world with the same waders etc. i guess the larva gets stuck in the felt and when a fisherman steps into a new stream ,,,,,, well there goes the transferral of invasivestongue2

Mojo
07-06-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand. Small mussels can't attach themselves to the feathers of birds but they can attach to my boat. Also bottom feeding birds won't consume mussels and then digest and pass them in some other water with the mussel remaining alive. I've heard biologists worry about both being quite plausible. Why don't you feel that is possible?

Mussles don't move on their own as adults. They require some extended period of time to attach as larva. Not likely to happen on a moving duck, but likely on a moored boat in waters infected with them. I believe it is possible, but not plausible. Ducks stomach acids would do a number on any shellfish in their digestive system. The shells of a mussel or clam are not completely watertight, there would be some leakage. I'll check with my experts, but I wouldn't think this is the most likely way these creatures will arrive in our lakes.

Felt soles are how the New Zealand mud snal arrived in Silver Creek. I wash my felt soled boots in a bleach water mixture after each use (or between river systems if I am fising the same river for a while), and dry them completely in the sun.

Through our efforts as sportsman we may be able to slow the spread of invasive species. I think we shoulkd shoot all the ducks and geese we legally can harvest, but that thread should be reserved for a waterfowlers board... :D

Mojo
07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
MMM, don't get me wrong, I think the boat stickers are just the state's way of additionally taxing boaters (out of staters getting hit worse). I do not think the sticker itself is gonna stop anything. I do know they have set up check stations on several of the highways, with wash stations. The state used emergency funds (like what they would access if a earthquake or hurricane hit) to build these stations. I don't know who is paying for the salaries of the workers there.

Like you said, we should do what we can, but I don't think we can totally stop any movement. Once some of these critters get here, they will totally change the way our fisheries play out. With no plankton (filered out by mussels), kokanee will be severely impacted.

You are correct that some birds are vectors for some little critters. Leeches and the small parasite that causes "swimmers itch" are 2 that are commonly spread by birds.

Packfish
07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Invasive species can be transported by waterfowl- Mostly plants though.
Snails can be transported by attaching to birds feet and in feathers though not high percentage. Snails as in the New Zealand mud snail can be digested by fish then pass thru the system alive and be excreted out. Now waterfowl could digest the snails but remember birds have gizzards and a snail would have tough time passing thru the grinder alive.

SuperD
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
How about tornados? Any infested bodies of water being picked up and set down in an uninfested body of water. laugh hystlaugh hyst

Packfish
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mojo;10498]
Felt soles are how the New Zealand mud snal arrived in Silver Creek. I wash my felt soled boots in a bleach water mixture after each use (or between river systems if I am fising the same river for a while), and dry them completely in the sun.

This is probably the way it happened though they have tracked a transportation of trout from New Zealand in 1986 and feel that this also may have been the culprit.