PDA

View Full Version : New Melones 6/29 and 6/30

DC18FT
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Just got back so I will post a late report......

This is only our first kokanee trip of the year due to the birth of our little girl 4 weeks ago.......

Arrived at out time share in Angels Camp Sunday evening. While putting our boat away, we noticed guide Rene Villenueava stowing his gear for the evening. He said he had been staying there for the past week and been hammering the fish at the Dam and spillway.

Woke up Monday morning and launched at Glory Hole Point at 6:00. While driving down the hill towards the ramp, we had noticed all the boats congregated around Rose Island so we decided to motor over to the Spillway.

Only one other boat working the spillway area so we dropped down 3 rods between 45-60ft. First hookup came about 5 minutes in on my middle rod. I get the fish to the surface and it is thrashing on the surface anout 15 yards back. All of a sudden a osprey comes crashing down on it and I am playing tug of war with this bird as it starts to fly away. Fight the bird for about 5-10 seconds before I give a mighty tug to get my gear back. Continued to catch fish at a steady rate on hammered nickel dodgers with pink RGT's and green spinners. Ended the day at 7:55am with 10 nice kokes in the box. Back at the condo with the AC blasting around 9:00am

Tuesday we decide to hit the water a little earlier to beat the heat. 20-25 boats all at Rose Island and ZERO boats at the Spillway so we start at the spillway again with first lines in the water at 6:00. Fished hammered nickel dodgers with a pink RGT, Natural RGT and a green spinner. Fishing was on FIRE with 2 triples....limits for me and Kingfisher at 6:45am.....Fastest Koke limit that we have gotten as a tandem!!! Back in the Air Conditioned condo at 7:57am !!!!!

Overall, Catching was great...Get out to Melones right now to load up the smoker.....wish we could have spent more time on the water fishing (only spent about 2.5 hrs fishing for 2 days). Lots of good filipino food cooked up by the mother in law....I think she thought she was cooking for about 20 people . Good times just hanging out with the family around the pad........Here are a few pics.....1. me with the family with 5 from Monday...... 2. Brooklynn checking out her first kokanee......3. a early morning triple and just trying to keep gear in the water!!!!!

Bryon

HiTechKoke
07-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Great report... Beating the heat so quickly was probably the best thing possible as I heard it was a scorcher. The Kokanee bite at Melones has been on fire the last month and does not seem to show any signs of slowing.

Kevin

Steve079
07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, it has been on fire, that's for sure. I hoping to head out tomorrow and check the bite! After all, it has been like 5-6 days....A year like this one makes me glad I live 20 minutes away. thumbsup