PDA

View Full Version : Waldo Lake ...

Troutski
07-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Waldo Lake is heating up, for both Kokes and Brookies. Both trolling and jigging have produced fish, the fish are starting to school and are very aggressive; must be very hungry by they hit the lure. The water is so clear one could get by with out a sonar, well almost; its the shallows that you have to be careful of. Like most high lakes the skeeters are mean and thirsty, and have an attitude. I tend to stick to the south end of the lake, but that's mainly due to the winds; fish are all over this lake, June and early July are the go to months. Good luck to whom ever makes the trek.

Chuck

SilverBullets
07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the report Chuck. I didn't realize Waldo had kokes...haven't read alot of reports from there. What size are they, and what's the limit?

DLM
07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
bump, want to hear more on Waldo

Fallriverguy
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Where's Waldo?

DLM
07-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Where's Waldo?

Now I KNEW someone would come up with that but I did not think it would be you, moknots maybe, but not someone of your calibre.;)

Troutski
07-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the report Chuck. I didn't realize Waldo had kokes...haven't read alot of reports from there. What size are they, and what's the limit?

There is a very healthy population of Kokes and Brookies in this magnificent lake, the sizes average in the high teens for the Females and a bit smaller for the Males. They seem to enjoy a collection of lures and even some bait (corn and nightcrawlers). I started using mini squids and the mini dodgers last year and had some great results, very few people fish this lake due to its large size and extremely clear water. I use my downrigger in the heat of the day and use a more shallow presentation during the early morning and evenings, haven't tried Cripplers yet or Killers...heck when the other lures are so effective it is hard to change.
The Fall is the time to check out the schooling fish near their spawning areas, something about seeing a school of fish numbering in the thousands being chased by even larger schools of Brookies - the Brookies are in the very heavy sizes in this lake due to the fact that they are the Apex predators. Fly angling is becoming a staple in the evening for the surface action, heck even I can hook and land using a fly rod and reel...my skill level is some what low using this method. Plenty of camping and great hiking trails to be had...the swimming is fun after you get use to the very cold water, and surprisingly deep lake.
As for where the lake is; http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/recreation/tripplanning/water/waldolake.html. If any one would like to give it a try let me know and I can recommend some of the more active areas for fishing...The limit is five fish per day for the Kokes and like wise for the Brookies, or a total of five fish together.

Chuck

DLM
07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the report troutski.

The wife and I were looking for someplace to go at the end of the month and Waldo deserves some consideration.

Just a couple questions before we get into the nitty gritty of where to fish. Which is the best campground (we have a 30' class C motorhome).

What about leaving the boat in the water. Is there moorage? Can you beach your boat at the campgrounds like Wikiup and East Lakes? I hate the in-and-out thing every day.

Fallriverguy
07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I thought outboard motors were banned at Waldo?

Lip Ripper
07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I saw a add where the speed limit was 10 MPH.

Troutski
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the report troutski.

The wife and I were looking for someplace to go at the end of the month and Waldo deserves some consideration.

Just a couple questions before we get into the nitty gritty of where to fish. Which is the best campground (we have a 30' class C motorhome).

What about leaving the boat in the water. Is there moorage? Can you beach your boat at the campgrounds like Wikiup and East Lakes? I hate the in-and-out thing every day.

I must admit I have only camped in the south part of the lake (Shadow Bay), I believe it will hold the size motor home you are describing, I don't believe they have full hookups at this camp ground. The other two sites at the north part of the lake might I just don't know.
As for the boat moorage, again the south end does not have them; pull out each night. I don't like to beach my boat over night due to the animals that roam the shore line each night...from Otters to Coons even Bears. I do the in and out thing. Good ramps with docks so it is not so bad.

Chuck

Troutski
07-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I saw a add where the speed limit was 10 MPH.

The judge that made the ruling requested more information from the group against the motors and until they provide this information the judge allowed the use of outboards until that point...so make the trip, who knows how long it will be.

Chuck

DLM
07-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I went by Waldo today just to check out the campgrounds. Islet was completely empty but open. Shadow Bay on the South end had three campers in it. I was really suprised that nobody was there. I don't understand why there is nobody there, unless that is a whole 10 miles of the main road.

Troutski
07-14-2009, 02:27 AM
I went by Waldo today just to check out the campgrounds. Islet was completely empty but open. Shadow Bay on the South end had three campers in it. I was really suprised that nobody was there. I don't understand why there is nobody there, unless that is a whole 10 miles of the main road.

The month of August is the heavy time at this lake, I stick to the south end of the lake myself...not that the main lake isn't wonderful but I am there for another reason - Kokes. Brookies are second to that and the skeeters keep most campers away, I am lucky enough to be within driving distance to the lake so I don't camp.

Chuck