PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Gorge Trip

binthere50
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
We just got home to Calif. from 4 days of fishing at the Gorge....
As this was our first trip there, it was not only exciting but very rewarding
as well. We met some wonderful people, attended the Kokanee Forum
event, and generally had a great time. The fishing was a little slow, but good enough for a crew of first timers insuring that we will be back. The quality of the kokes did not disappoint and the action was just good enough to make it fun, exciting, and a great learning experience.
We stayed with the pack most of the time, south and east of Buckboard, and most fish came early in the morning and late in the afternoon and the most productive gear for us was the RMT white squids, the pinks, the blue RGT tube(small) all following Bahama Mama dodgers and hyper/pink stripe and orange stripe.....fish were scattered from the surface (literally) down to 50ft on the wire.....with most coming from 26 to 41 ft. Our best day was 14 hooked with the average being about 8-10 fish a morning for the trip....One thing I was surprised about was that we only farmed 3 fish!...and only one at the boat. The other 2 came unbuttoned on surface strikes after jumping and tailwalking a bit...I guess it could be a testament to my steelhead fishing habits of always keeping hooks RAZOR sharp with my trusty Luhr Jensen file.
Or maybe it was just dumb luck! Probably a little of both...I could not really
establish any pattern of what worked best and I think others would agree that patience and staying on top of the fish was the only thing that really mattered. Of course being new to Kokes means I have a lot to learn, but it
doesn't hurt cutting your teeth at the fabulous Flaming Gorge! Many thanks
to a great bunch of people for being so kind and welcoming....Jared, Corey,
and the Buckboard crew.....I will be waiting for the next trip with much anticipation and hopes for better water conditions and the fast action we all dream about!........Mike

watermaker
06-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I would like to thank the Kokanee fisherman at the Flaming Gorge and the staff from Rocky Mountain Tackle Company. This was a fantastic maiden trip and for someone who has been associated with a public fishing area in California for over thirty plus years we can't hold a candle to the "Gorge". The scenic views and the fantastic facilities are unsurpassed. Did I mention the ever changing weather, that goes without saying. I would like pass on a debt of gratitude to the skipper/guide from California. Mike, my son and I will relive the memories forever and can't thank you enough for the days we'll look back on and see a trolling rod popping out of the downrigger release with a big Koke on the other end framed by the beautiful Wyoming / Utah scenery...Good fishing.

Bduck
07-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Welcome watermaker thumbsup Great memories are always built whenever you visit the gorge. You are also in good company right here. Kick back, enjoy, and of coarse, throw in your 2 cents worth here & there.

Kokaholic
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Welcome aboard Watermaker. Glad you had a great time and enjoyed our Kokanee fishery. Those of us here at Rocky Mountain Tackle/ Radical Glow are always willing to lend a hand or some helpful tips to make your next trip a great success!

SteelieNut
07-01-2009, 08:31 PM
You guys figure out the name of your new tackle shop yet?thumbsup

binthere50
07-02-2009, 08:48 PM
The name will California $%^& Suckers Inc........got the name from Fish

SteelieNut
07-07-2009, 10:08 AM
laugh hyst

FISH
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
The name will California $%^& Suckers Inc........got the name from Fish
lol thats to funny.thumbsuplaugh hyst

wkokaneeman
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Well, i tried to contact the owner of RMT to see if i could simply ask to point us in the right direction when first getting there.this will be my first time there on the 13th.and i received no reply.i understand that it's a busy time of year,and what not.i understand,i'm a guide also,but,even a simple "no" would have been good enough. i am always willing to help someone new to kokanee fishing.i know we are all not perfect,but,i was feeling a bit "put off" by no response.i'm a seasoned kokanee angler with over 20 years experience,and i'll just have to go and figure it out on my own.just don't know where to go other than South of Buckboard,because of water clarity issues right now.see you on the morning of the 14th!!

Code4
07-07-2009, 11:28 PM
wkokaneeman,

Not trying to speak for the RMT guys but my experiance with them (Jared) has been great and they are always willing to give information and help. Must be unavailable or busy for some reason. I am no expert but live in Green River and fish the Gorge often. If you put in at Buckboard I would head south to Squaw (old habits die hard, I mean Holmes Crossing) and start there. A buddy did well two days in a row on the east side of the lake just around the corner south from the ranch house (Brenniger's Ranch). He was hitting them from 30' to 40'. Any of the other posts on this site gives an idea of what guys are using. From the emails I get at work the water level coming from Fontenelle is supposed to be dropping any day, which should stabilize things. Most frustrating thing in Big Bend and north of Buckboard is all the weeds and grass floating in the water, hanging up on line and downrigger wires. The water is "coffee" stained but not that bad.

binthere50
07-08-2009, 03:19 AM
I think Jared might be fishing there now....cell phone coverage is not good at the lake...I tried to call him today with no luck. Either that or he might be out of town, but all those guys were more than helpful when they were available....sometimes guys just get busy..I know that!
Really though wkokaneeman, I had never been there until last week, and we just figured it out ourselves....it won't be hard to find where they are getting fish, I promise. Get the lake map find a few locations and just head south out of Buckboard until you see a fleet working. You'll want to go about 3 miles and start looking south east towards the cliffs. Don't be afraid to go look for your own fish either further south.....We did that and scored some dandy's just exploring. If you know how to fish salmon, you'll figure it out, I promise. Just find some 80 to 120 ft deep water look for rises from points or hills that bring up the bottom or, like the ocean, look for current slicks that congregate feed and you will see marks....I'm just a one time Gorge fisherman and we did fine, I know you will too!.....Mike

SteelieNut
07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
fencingYahoo!

Code4
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Anyways.......about those fish.....thumbsup

justfish
07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
i was just tell it how i see it and now you are puting me down

Petty4life
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
If you emailed him thats probly why you didnt get a reply, Jared dont check his emails much. I have found if you want to get hold of him call him if he dont answer leave a message jared always gets back to me. if you are going to the lake and want some info on the water call out on the marine band for E-fish-n-sea that is jared if he is on the water he will answer back and give you good info. also you can call out for pro-fishing-sea that is cory kellar, Jareds right hand man both of them spend alot of time on the water at the gorgethumbsup

wkokaneeman
07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Justfish;

Lets just bury the hatchet! has i said earlier,i'm not looking for any trouble from anyone.so,lets just move on.no big deal at all.i'm sure i'll see Jared,and if he has an issue with me,he should say so.i don't think he does.i'm sure he's just very busy,has we all are! nothing will probably even be said if i do see him.i probably should not have said anything.but,i did.sorry if i offended anyone,especiall Jared or Corey!! i'll see ya there next week! can't wait!!
Are there any shear rock cliff areas South of Buckboard? these are some of the areas i would like to fish.any names associated with thoses areas,and how far they might be from Buckboard? thanks for the info.i appreciate it!!

One More Pass
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I talked to Jared today.He has been fishing.The cell reception up there is the pits.I would give him a call tomorrow.I think you will have a better chance of getting a hold of him.

RIVERHAWK
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
If you emailed him thats probly why you didnt get a reply, Jared dont check his emails much. I have found if you want to get hold of him call him if he dont answer leave a message jared always gets back to me. if you are going to the lake and want some info on the water call out on the marine band for E-fish-n-sea that is jared if he is on the water he will answer back and give you good info. also you can call out for pro-fishing-sea that is cory kellar, Jareds right hand man both of them spend alot of time on the water at the gorgethumbsup

Hell, I don't know his e-mail or his cell number, but when I was fishing next to him last week and waved he always waves back. That's good enough, I can find my own fish.

Propnut69
07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Get back on track with the thread or I will lock it. First and final warning!!!!!!!!

Kokaholic
07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
WKokaneeman,

As you leave Buckboard and Go South, You will go through Big Bend. continue following the main channel South and you will see cliffs on the left hand side. This area is called Breeze hill.

As you continue on a round the corner, on your right will see the Skunk cliffs. AS you get to the end of these cliffs you will come into Holmes crossing/Squaw hollow area/ Boat ramp. Further South a short distance on the left you will see a small grove of trees with a ranch house. So called the ranch house and Brinigers ranch.

I am not sure of the distance right off the top of my head, but possibly 5-6 miles down to the ranch house.

Not sure of your boat size, but watch the wind if your in a smaller boat.

As you can see by my signature and a few others on this board, I, We are a part of RMT w/Jared. I know that he has been fishing with a great friend the last few days..

I know that we are not Jared, However any of us that are with Jared have spent a great deal of time up there this year and could answer many of your questions in his abscence. Drop us a private message, Any of us are more than happy to help you out to make your trip up here more enjoyable. and we can share what we know with you.

The lake this year has been a tough fishery. Changeing daily. water levels rising as much as a foot a day.

Good luck on your trip up here. The folks at Buckboard marina are a great group of folks that can assist you with many of your possible needs.

I hate to see you get off on the wrong foot with folks, glad to see you have " Buried the hatchet" with Justfish and moved on.
Welcome aboard. Many great folks here like yourself that have a great deal of knowledge and hours on the water and are willing to share.

Our Motto around these parts is " Check your ego at the door"thumbsup

binthere50
07-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Speaking of tough conditions...Kokaholic, we were there a couple weeks ago
out from Calif... If you don't mind, to your knowledge has there been any change in the rising water levels?...We caught just enough fish to make me
want to tow my boat 17 hours again!! How ill is that!..lol....I was thinking
of going again at the end of the month or 1st week of Aug....just wondering.......Thanks....Mike

wkokaneeman
07-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Kokaholic;

Thanks for the info.that is all i was really looking for.i appreciate the words and info.i know who Jared is fishing with.that would be Troy.Troy is a prostaff guide,from Cali,on a team,that i used to be a member of,and quit 3 1/2 years ago.i did not know that they were such good friends? being that he is on one perticular pro-staff,and Jared owns a competing Company,i find interesting.but not bad.i guess they just hooked up somewhere along the line.i don't know if you're going to be at the lake(Buckboard)anytime between the 14th - 20th,but if you are,look me up,i'd like to thank you personally.i'll be in a 22' Seaswirl,berthed in a slip.i'm 6'4"s tall,wearing a ball cap and probably shorts,with blonde/white/grey hair.i'm easy to pick out in a crowd.my partner is an older guy at 69 years old.we'll probably be in a Ford flatbed truck.thanks again!!

Kokaholic
07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I wish I was going to be able to be at the lake myself, not only to fish, but to meet you and shake your hand. I am sure that some time down the road we will get that oppertunity.

Good luck to you and enjoy your trip. I hope the Kokanee Gods smile down on you.