PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge Canyon Report- 6/22/09

Ryno
06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
We hit the water Sunday morning, hoping to catch some kokes before the sun got to high. Fishing was slow for us, but we ended up getting into some fish after the sun was high! There were quite a few boats idling around Jarvies, some of which we also saw boating fish, including one angler with a 4lb koke.

We ended up with just 2 kokes(around 2.5lbs), 2 bows, and 2 lakers and had at least a half dozen break or get off. Not sure what the problem was, but the kokes were throwing hooks left and right. The kokes and bows came on dodger/squids running at 40-50ft at about 2.0mph. A hyperplaid dodger with a pink squid produced the most action, but it was unexpectedly donated to a big lake trout about mid morning. My son wrestled in a nice 6-8lb mack after a 5 minute tussle, and needless to say he was pretty happy with the event (see pic). The 2 macks hit a rainbow colored Forage minnow running at 70ft.

Due to the rapidly rising water, there was floating debris in wind rows which added frustration to trolling. We quickly learned to avoid it. There's also some big logs floating around so keep an eye out while on plane. Water temps started in the upper 60s and reached 70F by 11AM.

Hope it helps, Ryno

BROWNBAGGER
06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
thanks for the report Ryno, heading up in 36 hours. this will be a first for me to advoid debre on the gorge. I just knew it was waiting for me to get up there. I'm just hoping the water clarity holds, my worst shunk trips happen during these times.

SuperD
06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Ryno, do you actually fish up in the canyon arm? We did well at Beehive while we were there.

Ryno
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I did, down near Jarvies Canyon which lies about 7 miles up from the dam. Did you find some kokes near Beehive? I normally don't make it up that high, but it sure is pretty up there.

Kokehead
07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Great report Ryan. I will be hitting jarvis next week for my annual family fishing extravaganza. I'm excited to fish my "home canyon waters" I am going to try to hit you up this time to hit the water. How have the crowds been like this year in the canyon? The best part about it is that very few people hit it. They'd rather go north, no sweat off my back.

Ryno
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
How have the crowds been like this year in the canyon? The best part about it is that very few people hit it. They'd rather go north, no sweat off my back.

You know it's been pretty dead, especially compared to uplake. Most mornings at Mustang there's maybe one or two boats launching. I suspect that will change this weekend, but most of the koke hunters are uplake chasing trophy fish. I have a hard time draggin' myself away from the local haunts, if you know what I mean.......

If we can hook up on the water that would be cool. Unfortunately, I'll be heading out of town on Tuesday for a week. Ryno

Kokehead
07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I will be up there the 10th-15th.

Ryno
07-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll be back on the 13th, so maybe there's some time?