PDA

View Full Version : A Fisherman’s Story. I just wanted a few Kokanee.

Full_Monte
06-29-2009, 12:35 AM
I put this in the General Discussion area because so many of you guys have helped me learn how to fish. Thank you all! Now to the story.

It was a slow morning of Kokanee fishing at Huntington Lake, California. The last eight days had yielded a few decent fish, but nothing to write home about. We returned to camp when the lake became over-run with a sailing regatta, water skiers and the strong daily wind that Huntington experiences. I washed up, took a long nap and re-tied a couple of leaders for the evening’s fishing. As the sun dropped lower in the sky, my wife Laurie suggested that Bob and I fish together rather than making it a crowded threesome in my small boat.

We fished without a bite for an hour and moved to another area. I set my downrigger at thirty-five feet and Bob set his to forty-five. A couple minutes later, my reel screamed as it paid out line. I thought, “Not again”! Have I run my gear into the bottom? The Lowrance fish finder showed sixty-five feet deep. My weight showed at thirty-five. Had I snagged a remnant tree on the reservoir bottom? The reel still screamed as I pushed the button to raise the downrigger weight. Bob did the same, and then said “that log you snagged is running from right to left across the stern. It has to be a fish.” It slowly sunk in as I backed the boat to keep from being spooled. I thought that this was one of those experiences you read about in fishing magazines, but never happens to anyone you know. Heck, I’ve been fishing fifty-four years and never caught a really large fresh water fish. The ultra-light kokanee rod never bounced…it just stayed bent like it was attached to the downrigger weight. The fish moved around the lake at will. I just tried to keep up. As the sun dropped further, the fish rose to the surface about twenty-five yards away. Bob said “My God, did you see that tail fin? It must be at least six inches tall”! I said, “Well, I guess it’s no kokanee”. Thirty minutes passed as the fish tried to run under the boat several times. Sometimes the fishing line would disappear into the reflection of the setting sun, temporarily blinding us and hiding the direction of the fish’s travel. Bob took over the tiller so I could fight the fish unfettered. I thought about my eight-pound test line and wondered how long it could take this punishment. One hour and still the fish moved wherever it wanted. Sometimes it seemed to stop swimming. Other times it cruised at twelve feet below the boat at five mph on the GPS, producing an arch on the fish finder that went from one side of the screen to the other. As the fish tired, I got him to the surface several times and he did his slow roll back to the depths. Bob said “if we get him to the boat, there’s no way that 18-inch kokanee net will lift him out of the water”. I knew he was right, but said, “maybe we could use both nets”. He looked at my little backup net and then back at me. We both knew it wouldn’t work. We discussed the possibility of maneuvering the boat to shallow water where we could wrestle the fish to shore, but rejected that idea because we would risk running the motor too close to the rocks and lose all control of the outcome of this battle. One hour and fifteen minutes and we continued our dance with the fish. The dodger came out of the water ten feet behind the boat a couple times, but the fish went down again. I loosened my drag a little whenever the fish was close to the boat in anticipation of the inevitable run, hoping the line would hold. I knew that time was on my side as long as he was getting tired and nothing bad happened. I thought of legendary fisherman Gary Miralles (owner of Shasta Tackle) and his story of the Brown that got away. I remembered that he said large Brown Trout have a surprising amount of energy left at the net. I adjusted my strategy accordingly, thinking that the only way we could land this monster would be to tire him out so much that he wouldn’t fight at the end.

Bob handled the boat well, turning left and right, backing down and going forward whenever the fish changed directions. Forty-one years of friendship made us a team. We knew what each other would do without much talking. We just did it like we had during many adventures in the past. As the sun went down, we removed our sunglasses. Bob put on a headlamp so he could see where the line entered the water. I was standing between the second and third bench seats, sensing that the battle was coming to an end. The Lamiglas Team Kokanee rod still kept its steep arch, but I was occasionally able to bring the fish to the surface. At one hour and forty-five minutes, I reeled the fish to the side of the boat. Bob put the net under the nose of the monster and lifted. The net hoop started to bend, and he pleaded for help. I grabbed the hoop and we dragged the fish aboard. We looked at it in the bottom of the boat. There was a moment when we didn’t say anything while we looked at the fish. Then we grinned at each other and did a high-five. The fish never moved a muscle. Not even a gill quivered. He was done. A very large German Brown laid at our feet…the fish of a lifetime. Darkness closed in as we motored slowly to the dock. There were a few people at the Huntington Lake Resort Marina, but the restaurant was closing down. After some discussion and a few photos, we pulled away and motored over to camp where our wives were pacing the beach wondering why we were late for dinner. When they saw the fish, we didn’t have to explain our tardiness any more. We weighed the fish on the camp host’s electronic bathroom scale…with me holding it, and then me without the fish. It weighed 20.5 pounds and was 33 ½ inches long. We took the fish back to the marina, where the proprietor nicely allowed us to keep it in his walk-in refrigerator overnight. He had no official scale. Maybe we could find one at a resort down the lake the next day.

Saturday morning, we ate breakfast at the restaurant where our fish was stored. The story of the fish had preceded our arrival, and the entire staff and all the customers wanted to see it. We retrieved it from the refrigerator and people gathered around. It was like a press conference, except most of the attendees were shooting photos with cell phone cameras. After about twenty minutes, my arms ached from holding the fish up for photos, and we packed him in a homemade cardboard box cooler Bob and I had fashioned that morning, iced him down and traveled down the lake for the official weigh-in.

We found a balance-beam scale at Lakeshore Resort store. The official weight was 19.5 pounds. We figured the fish lost some weight in the fourteen hours it had been in the dry atmosphere of the walk-in refrigerator. I think it’s good enough for a Huntington Lake record, and larger than the Lake Tahoe record by over four pounds. No one could remember a larger Brown caught at the lake. It doesn’t seem like they keep an official record book anywhere. The California record stands at 26 lbs. from Twin Lakes in 1987. In any case, this one is my personal record. Bob and I will remember this experience for the rest of our lives. I only wanted a few Kokanee, but hey…I’ll take this one. It’s been a couple of days and I still feel the adrenaline rush. I barely remember the long drive home, and since then, I’ve awakened each morning with a smile on my face.

Thanks again to all you guys for teaching me how to fish for Kokes. The lessons carried over very well in landing this fish.

19.5 lb. German Brown 33 1/2 inches long.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=38&pictureid=901

My friend Bob Fogg and I and the celebrity fish

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=38&pictureid=902

How about a wife that cleans fish?

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=38&pictureid=903

Terminal Tackle

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=38&pictureid=904

Details for the inevitable questions:

Date: Friday, June 26, 2009
Boat: 15 foot Gregor
Motor: 25 hp. Two-stroke electric oil-injected Yamaha
Downriggers: Scotty 1106 electrics
Fishfinder: Lowrance HDS7
Fishing Pole: Lamiglas Team Kokanee Jared Johnson ultralight rated 2-8 lbs.
Reel: Tica Caiman 150 CM
Line: Maxima Ultra Green 8 lb. test
Dodger: Shasta Tackle Sling Blade Dodger SB UVPLN 3914 Ultraviolet Plain
Line release: Shasta Tackle Ultra
Lure: White Glow kokanee hoochie. Likely from KokaneeMart.
Hooks: #4 Octopus Gamakatsu
Bait: Pink Shoe Peg Corn (hey…remember…this was supposed to be Kokanee fishing)
Scent: Pro Cure Garlic, Anise mixed

Special thanks to:
Roy, Nancy and Barrett of Huntington Lake Resort for their help and
cold storage of the fish.
Ric Brown of KokaneeMart for befriending me, who he has never met.
Gary Miralles of Shasta Tackle who taught me a lot about big browns by telling me his story of the "one that got away".

redmanjr1
06-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Full_Monte,
Wow, what a fish and congrats on a well fought battle. Thanks for the story and photo's, it's a beautiful fish.

Bob

MackPrince
06-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Great trophy Monte!worthy12

Kokaneemart
06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Monte,

I'm still in shock at the size of the beast! It looks like a Kenai River King with spots!!! You sure you didn't come home from Alaska and spray paint that one! stomper

Your trophy and your story will be remembered for a long time. Thanks for sharing it with us!!! worthy12

FishHunter
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Great story full of details and pictures. Congratulations on a real trophy tongue2

Kokonuts
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Monte,
No one could ever ask for more, the memories of that day will last the rest of your life, and I hope its a long one!

The best part is it couldnt have happened to a nicer guy! I have enjoyed your many reports since you started on this forum!
Monte YOU DA MAN!! worthy12

thumbsup....Kokonuts

Stanson
06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey Guy's that will take the pressure off the koks how many koks does a fish like that consume ever-day and when you cleaned the fish how many koks did you find.

that is one hog and you need to have it mounted so you can talk about it. to your freinds.. congrat. to both of you great catch
Stanson

Bduck
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Fantastic catch, Monte. Definite wall hangar. Frame you picture with the story you posted. That is a lifetime memory. worthy12

Full_Monte
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey Guy's that will take the pressure off the koks how many koks does a fish like that consume ever-day and when you cleaned the fish how many koks did you find.

that is one hog and you need to have it mounted so you can talk about it. to your freinds.. congrat. to both of you great catch
Stanson

I was wondering about that myself. There were no kokes in the gut, and I presume the fish was out hunting its next meal. I had been catching some koke dinks at that depth during the week, so that might explain why this predator was also at that depth. I also wonder about the age of the fish.

SilverBullets
06-29-2009, 10:52 PM
OH MY GOD!!! thumbsup That was by far the best fish story I've EVER read! worthy12Talk about on the edge of my seat!! That is one heck of a moose! You might want to think about getting a bigger net in the future. To get that hog took some excellent team work... Great Job Monte!!!worthy12

Full_Monte
06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I caught my first decent Kokanee last August and have been learning about koke fishing mostly here, from you guys.
This was a side benefit of applying a lot of what I learned. Having my best friend along for the ride and assistance was also a key factor in landing the fish.

Kokanee Killer
06-29-2009, 11:18 PM
awesome brown,, what a clean lookin fish congrats thumbsupthumbsup

MJCook6
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
GREAT Story!!!
Congratulations....!

Thanks...!!

Kokonuts
06-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Monte, I was just reading over your story again today, if you havnt thought about it yet it would be a great magazine story. I think several Mags. would be interested!
thumbsup....Kokonuts

S.S. Fireball
06-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. Truly an epic fish. What a great write up, too. Congrats!

Can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like on kokanee gear...

Reminds me of a recent trip to the Crockett Museum, where the CA state record sturgeon resides at 489 lbs (I think). The rod it was caught on is there too, and you would not believe it unless you saw it!

jacksonlaker
06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Incredible story, great fish. A 20 lb brown is truly a rare catch. Congrats on winning the battle., imagine if you wuold have fought him that long and lost him !!! You never know what will hit the Koke stuff. Someone earlier this season caught a 29 lb laker fishing for Kokes.

SteelieNut
06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing that fish of a lifetime with us! Congrats!thumbsuptongue2

Mossback
06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Great story Monte!...........All along as I'm reading I was dreading the outcome.............lost at the boat!..........But a great ending! Back in the 60's I used to fish Bridgeport Reservoirs and the Twins. We used to see these Brown slabs in the Bridgport Sport Shop's outside freezer. I always dreamed of catching one of them in my life time. But I moved up North and pursued salmon and the occasional Kokanee.

Great story! Thank you for sharing!

Mossback

HiTechKoke
07-01-2009, 10:21 AM
WOW Monte! That is some fish and a great story as well. I'd definitely get yourself a mount of that fish as it truly is a fish of a lifetime. I'll bet there are a fair number of Kokanee resting easier now that the Brown lake monster has been caught. Way to go and obviously well played by you and your fishing buddy.

Kevin

fish-on-bend
08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Great story!! A true testament to your fishing skills to be able to land that beast. ............and I thought you could only catch 20 lb browns in Oregon.;)

kenbarb
08-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow!, What a great catch, and a story to match it, I could feel your excitment in each word, like other readers I just knew you were going to lose him, but instead you did it all to perfection.

Congratulations,

Ken

macscabin
08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I really enjoyed reading your story and the pics. Way to go!thumbsup

halojm
08-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Wow is all I can say. Congratulations on a job well done and a great story to go with it. The gorge has great fish in it and at one time had many large browns like that one. Maybe sometime in the near future it will have them again since they have started restocking them.thumbsup

Full_Monte
01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
A nice California F&G guy aged the scales I sent him and he determined that the fish was between eight and nine years old. I was thinking that it was a lot older than that. But I've learned that they can only live twelve to fourteen years. If the fish is that young, there must be a lot more big ones around.

Bduck
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Full Monte, Its time for you to get back out there and catch his kin. fencing

SuperD
01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Has the wall mount been made yet? We want to see pictures of that too!

SilverBullets
01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Full Monte, Its time for you to get back out there and catch his kin. fencing

And this time bring a bigger net!thumbsup

kokanee_slayer
01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow!!!!!!Haven't seen anything like that in Washington. I'm going to hit American Lake tomorrow and see what I can stir up. Got the itch - been over two months since I've been on the water.

Full_Monte
01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I parked the boat for the winter...have other things I have to do. The closest thing I've done to fishing is talk to you guys onlline. I haven't had a wall-mount done of the fish as it would be too large for any space I have in the house. (I never had that problem before...I guess I need a bigger house). We have photos up, though. If I ever decide to have a wall-mount made, I have all the photos, measurements and a detailed tracing of the fish.

michaelnel
10-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Great story, and nicely told. Bravo on both counts!