PDA

View Full Version : questions on Gorge in August

smokepoles
08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey, several questions for koke fishing at the Gorge, We have a short trip planned for end of next week.

1. Do you guys use scent, and how? I know the Ca sniffers swear by scented shoe peg corn (Yes, I know that corn is no-no in Utah).

2. Any recommedations for general areas and approach end of next week? Seems that some of the kokes are starting to turn already, and how does this effect them? Are they already schooling at traditional spawning areas?

3. How do you go about jigging for them if they are schooled up?

Thanks in advance, and tight lines to all!

Petty4life
08-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey, several questions for koke fishing at the Gorge, We have a short trip planned for end of next week.

1. Do you guys use scent, and how? I know the Ca sniffers swear by scented shoe peg corn (Yes, I know that corn is no-no in Utah).

2. Any recommedations for general areas and approach end of next week? Seems that some of the kokes are starting to turn already, and how does this effect them? Are they already schooling at traditional spawning areas?

3. How do you go about jigging for them if they are schooled up?

Thanks in advance, and tight lines to all!

1- pro cure sweet corn, kokanee special, carp spit. are the ones id have on my boat Alittle bit goes a long way.

2-id try the ranch, middle marsh, and the pipeline-blvd area.

3-find them on the finder and use buzz bombs, castmasters, curly lures, and event rmt serpant spoons. All you are trying to do is piss them off and intise them to strike

HiTechKoke
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
From a California guy recently indoctrinated to the FG experience.... also keep Herring in your arsenal, works in California and the Gorge. Crawfish is another good one. Berkley Gulp maggots would be another corn substitute as well that works, trust me on this one. thumbsup

JIGGIT
08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
hey high tech. how come i didnt see that fish on your youtube vid,s? that is a awesome koke you are holding!!! jared knows his stuff... thumbsup ken

HiTechKoke
08-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Hey Jiggit - It was so crazy most of the time we didn't have time to do videos on all them. :-) We obviously kept that one and took lots of still photos of it and some others. My report is over on the Kokanee Power board with some other nice fish. I just discovered this board today and think it's great to have a Kokanee focused forum.

JIGGIT
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
i saw jared but never did here rmt mentioned on the videos??? is there a rule about that on youtube? or just didnt happen? i thought we had it tuff living 3hrs from koke heven. you are scrwwwed now. lolthumbsuplaugh hyst ken

HiTechKoke
08-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Yah I am screwed for sure now... tell me again why we fish for 13 to 18 inch Kokes in California? I don't think Youtube has any real restrictions on mentioning any names... it just never came up on our video. We did get some still with the lures we used, just a couple of RMT squid combos and they slammed them over and over and over again.

JIGGIT
08-11-2008, 11:51 PM
if i lived in cal i would fish lmb in the winter and the big sandy pond the rest of the time. i didnt know your kokes were like that. we do have some lakes that only have smaller fish like you have. i havent ever gone to one of them. just fg and sc/ strawberry kokes for me.thumbsup

HiTechKoke
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
The big sandy pond became off limits for Kings this year due to the Sac river collapse so it's funny to see more ocean style boats at the lakes. The S.F. Bay has had a great Striper / Halibut bite and the ocean has been really rough to even let them get out for Rock cod or stuff that is open.

I've turned into a Kokanee snob for the most part but this year has been a strange year at all the lakes since the 2006 plant was way down so we have fewer fish in general but they are a bit bigger at a few lakes. Fish have been caught in the 19 inch range and likely a few at 20 inches but they are few and far between.

The good news is we had a big normal plant across all the lakes this year so things should rebound well in 2009 and 2010.

Kevin

bobco
08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
From a California guy recently indoctrinated to the FG experience.... also keep Herring in your arsenal, works in California and the Gorge. Crawfish is another good one. Berkley Gulp maggots would be another corn substitute as well that works, trust me on this one. thumbsup
yup, thoose pink gulp maggots are my favorite...stay on way better than corn also....

HiTechKoke
08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
They make them in pink too? Now I'm doomed! :-)

bobco
08-14-2008, 09:14 AM
They make them in pink too? Now I'm doomed! :-)
HOT PInK, I see shoe peg corn futures sliding.......thumbsupthumbsup really a great thing for areas that don't allow corn, I love it for late fall jigging for prespawners, stays on the hooks of 3/4oz kastmasters way better than corn.