PDA

View Full Version : Applying Corn To Hooks

Lanny44
06-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Going to Yale Lake Saturday. This will be only my 3rd time fishing for Kokanee. What is the proper way to put the corn on the hook? How much per hook? Just joined this forum - great place for me to learn and hopefully meet some new fishermen.

SilverBullets
06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
First off Welcome aboard Lanny44. I'm no expert, but I do get my share of kokes by putting one kernel on each hook. Alot of lures can get their action messed up by over loading. Try putting the kernel on so that the large round end is facing fwd against the water pressure and the open end of the kernel is facing back so when your trolling the open end of the kernel leaves a scent trail. When you pierce the kernal with the hook, run the hook through the narrow sides of the kernal, not the flat side

MackPrince
06-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Ditto. For trebles I usually jump to two kernels. I also like to change the bait every 10 minutes or so to keep the scent fresh.

wahoohunter
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Welcome Lanny44-
White Shoepeg corn seems to work the best for the lakes down here in California. You might have to look a little for it, but most of the larger chain stores carry it. I know that Green Giant markets it, maybe someone knows of another brand in your neck of the woods.

Lanny44
06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Thank you all for the "welcome" and the info on applying the corn. I have been loading it on, covering the whole hook with 6 to 7 kernals. Looking forward to getting on the water.

SilverBullets
06-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I used to think the more the better also. I use Apex lures alot, and going from 2 kernels on each hook to one has really made a difference with the lures action and catch rate. Place the kernal on the bend of the hook... don't cover up the barb. When scenting the corn I use a sprinkle of Pro-Cure Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Magic to toughen the kernels a bit. The only time I've had it come off the hook was because of either a strike or a fish-on.thumbsup

DLM
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
On a two hook setup like the apex or a hoochie I like to put corn on the front hook only. That is the hook I want the fist to go for and let the trailing hook do it's job and hook up during the fight. If you bait the back hook also and that is the one they strike you lose the advantage of having two hooks.

Silver Bullets, when you bait both hooks have you noticed them hitting one hook more often than the other??

SilverBullets
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
On a two hook setup like the apex or a hoochie I like to put corn on the front hook only. That is the hook I want the fist to go for and let the trailing hook do it's job and hook up during the fight. If you bait the back hook also and that is the one they strike you lose the advantage of having two hooks.

Silver Bullets, when you bait both hooks have you noticed them hitting one hook more often than the other??

They almost always hit the front hook. I've tried baiting that hook only, but alot of times when you get a hit and reel in to check the corn, it's gone. I've found that by baiting both alot of times you can keep trolling after a hit and still have a piece of corn on to get hit again. I feel more confident leaving my set-up out after a strike...alot of times they seem to come back and hit it again. I usually wait a good 5 to 10 minutes before reeling in to check the corn after the initial strike.

MMDON
07-03-2009, 07:08 PM
They almost always hit the front hook. I've tried baiting that hook only, but alot of times when you get a hit and reel in to check the corn, it's gone. I've found that by baiting both alot of times you can keep trolling after a hit and still have a piece of corn on to get hit again. I feel more confident leaving my set-up out after a strike...alot of times they seem to come back and hit it again. I usually wait a good 5 to 10 minutes before reeling in to check the corn after the initial strike.
I too, like Silver Bullets method of putting corn on both hooks. I use 2 kernels of corn on each however.

ceejay77
10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I use 2-3 kernels as long as the point and barb are unobstructed,keep changing the bait with fresh kernels,do not use old corn,cheap bait as it is.

HiTechKoke
10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
This is a good question as everyone has a bit different technique... I use the SB description but I hook through the flat side... don't ask me why... because I don't really know. One corn per unless we are feeling disparate and mix things up and the kids start suggesting beef jerky, dried mangos or whatever else they have in the snack bag! I'm not making it up... but those snack flavors have yet to catch any fish. :-)

Kokonuts
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I think Silver Bullets has it right on as always! worthy12

I fish Lake Merwin most every weekend durning the season sooooo maybe we can hook up there next spring!

................thumbsup..............Kokonuts.... .....