PDA

View Full Version : How Far?

Kokonuts
06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
With everone using Flashers, Dodgers, Ball Trolls and all the rest of the "Stuff", Ive been wondering how far will the Kokanee travel to hit the lure? Or if you spot fish at 30 ft.to 40 ft. deep, how far away can they see it? Is their depth really that critical as long as you are trolling above them?

Ive seen some pictures from underwater cameras & the fish just seem to come out of the gloom, look at the lure then either hit it or break off. Sometimes several fish check it out before one actually hits it.

thumbsup...........Kokonuts

dunnigan jim
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I also use the underwater camera to see what the fish are looking at. I will put on different color dodgers ect. to see which one gets the most attention and if they follow it longer thats the color I use. I then start with the lures spinners-tubes-hoochies-ect in different colors to see what they like . My feeling is that the dodgers ect atracks them to the lures. I have seen on the f/f fish come up as much as 8-10 ft in clear water to look .I useually put the balls @3 ft above the fish I mark on the f/f. This also depends on how much of a set back you have on your release. I have also found that the d/r counters do not match the same depth as the f/f so I watch the balls on the f/f to see how deep I am and set them just above the fish I mark. Seems to work for me . JIM

Kokonuts
06-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Jim, this is the kind of help I am looking for.

I havnt been able to see the ball on my FF but I am going to read up on it to see what I can do. I just havnt used it enough yet.

Kokonuts

DLM
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
At GP last weeked I was hooking a lot of fish that I never saw on the ff. Since I easily see the fish going up and down to look at the lure, I assume the ones that hit that I don't see are coming in from the side.

This was at 50 feet. The cone on my ff at 50 feet is about 17 feet wide, so half that would be 8.5 feet at least that they are traveling to take a look. I would not call GP a "clear" water lake, pretty greeen and it was overcast.

Bottom line, I think they can either see or hear your attractor from up to 15-20 depending on conditions and the equipment you are using. I know the uv sling blade I use is visible to me much deeper than other dodgers.