PDA

View Full Version : Small Aluminum boats at FG?

Excaliber
06-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Does anyone fish with a small aluminum boat at FG? We have 15' Gregor with a 20 HP Honda on it and hear lot's of stories about the wind.

Do any of you guys fish it out of a boat this small or see anyone else doing it?

Fish4Brains
06-23-2009, 03:19 PM
You should be fine as long as you watch that weather, you see quite a few small boats on the Gorge.

Kokaholic
06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I have a 16' Tracker with a 60 horse, Like was stated, keep an eye to the sky for teh weather, when you see the clouds building to the west, head for camp. that extra 45 mn to an hour isnt worth it.

halojm
06-23-2009, 07:50 PM
There are a lot of areas on the gorge where you can fish for koks right off the ramp area. Holmes Crossing as well a Buckboard offer great fishing within minutes of the ramps. If by chance you do get caught in the wind and you have a ways to travel the best thing to do is seek shelter in one of the small coves that is in the area you are fishing and sit tight. The wind usually lets up as evening gets close, then you can make it back to the ramp. Small coves over some great rainbow fishing while you wait out the wind or rain.

Bduck
06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I use to use a 14' Jon boat, very shallow draft with a Johnson 9.9. Its the type of boat perfect for the duck hunter. Been caught in high wind situations. Never swamped it. It rode on top of the white caps. Did very well for its size. Luck? Well, maybe a little had something to do with me not getting into trouble. But my experience in knowing the type of boat is a key factor. Keeping stupidity from getting involved in that situation will insure a safe return. There are small boats on the gorge all the time. I wouldn't hesitate going out in yours. Think Safety