PDA

View Full Version : Greetings to you all.

Yellowjacket56
06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
New to the forum and new to fishing for Kokes. Been a fly fisher most of my
adult life. Been fishing since I was a sprout. Hope you guys don't mind my
questions because I have a ton of them.

I plan to fish from my 14 Duroboat pushed by an 8 horse Johnson. I have all
sorts of rods from fishing for Salmon in the salt to trout in the fresh water.

I plan to use a medium weight e-glass rod off a penn downriggerwith a bait casting reel.
Hope that will work our ok for me. My wife would take a dim view of me buying more gear.

Thanks for listening.

DLM
06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Welcome aboard, what part of the country do you hail from?

First suggestion,

Find a good marriage counselor. When, not if, you really get bitten by the koke bug, you will be adding tons of gear to the new tackle boxes you buy.

Where you are and the lakes you fish will determine the gear you will need. It sounds like the rod and reel you have should do you just fine for starters. listen to the guys that fish the same area you do and go with their suggestions.

Yellowjacket56
06-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome Dim. I live just outside of Seattle and plan to fish
Lake Stevens for the most part. It is about twenty minutes from my house and I am retired. Lucky for me.

wahoohunter
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Welcome Yellowjacket56-
Lot of good info here and a lot of good guys so don't hesitate to ask any questions.
As far as the new gear, you could try what I used to do when I used to hunt. I'd unbox stuff and take the tags off at a friends house. Then, I'd say "What? This isn't new. Mike borrowed it and I'm just bringing it back home." Or, "Mike was working on it for me and he gave me a call and said he was finished."
Nowadays, I don't have to worry about new fishing gear 'cause anything new just gets mixed in with everything else and she can't keep track!
'Course, it doesn't hurt that now it's a different wife-lol

Yellowjacket56
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, Momma is pretty mellow after 50 years. She too, has lost track of the
guns, rods, reels and what ever else suits my fancy.

I am still trying to figure out the terminal gear to use for Kokanees.
Somewhere I read a wedding ring works, another suggestion I thought I picked
up was a gang troll and I never thought of Lake Washington as a Kokanee lake what with all the sock eye that pass through there. Is there not a conflict with the two. Lake Washington is not a land locked lake.

As you can see, I am as green as grass on this Kokanee thingy.

Bduck
06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Welcome Yellowjacket56. thumbsup I soon too will be retired. You can pick up on the tidbits here on this forum. There is a great bunch of guys here to guide you in the right direction. As time goes on, you will see the type of Koke rods alot of us are using. Then your personal preference will eventually come in. If your wife is anything like mine, she will be glad to get you out of her house. laugh hyst

redmanjr1
06-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Welcome yellowjacket56. As Bduck said, lots of great people here with tons of experience. Don't be shy and definitely ask lots of questions.

Bob

SilverBullets
06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Welcome to KFF Yellowjacket56!thumbsup

Yellowjacket56
06-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Thank you all for the welcome. I have been working on getting my boat ready
and here it is almost July. Looks like the sockeye are not making much of a
dent on the migration into Lake Washington this year. They need 300,000 to
open up a sockeye season in the lake. We are way below 100,000 and they should be peaking soon. Hope they come in if for no other reason than the spawn.

As soon as I get my boat ready with the bearings changed out and lubed, the motor running and the new bow light on, I should then check out the downriggers. I am thinking of taking off the stainless steel wire and putting on dacron lines. How does that sound?

AFDan52
06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the KFF boards , there is a lot of Information here and a Bunch of Great folks to help.