PDA

View Full Version : Went to school...flunked out!

D-mack
06-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Spent 7 hours trying in several areas ranging from Horseshoe bend on up to Anvil draw. Trolled all the different colors that Petty talked to me about from depths of 20' down to 60'. Never consistently marked schools of fish on the graph, just small groups of 2's and 3's. Tried various speeds from slooow like 1 mph up to 2.4 mph (gps). If I went any faster, my rigs would propeller out.

I saw a couple boats land fish up near the pipeline and that's where the greatest concentration of boats were working. I got in line and went round and round with them all for a long time.

It looks like I'm going to have to meet up with some guys that are in the know and get first hand lessons. I hate the smell of skunks...

My only consolation is that I never did talk to anyone that had a good report. That made me feel a little better. (But not much...!)

D-mack

Kokaholic
06-21-2009, 08:33 PM
That sucks my friend. Its been tough for folks from what i have heard the last week or so. I am hopeing that these colder temps going away and the warm up will change things around. Lets hope so.

I am leaving Tuesday evening to go up for the week, if it dont change, could be a long STINKY week.

smokepoles
06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
D-mack,

See my post. You were not alone in what was a humbling experience. As the man said, "That's why they call it fishing, not catching."

Propnut69
06-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Yesterday(Saturday) I was talking to two of our local kokanee pros,and they both told me that the lake is coming up fast. They both said that it has risen almost 7ft within the last week.So my thinking is that this has got to affect the kokes. This has been a exceptional year for moisture and good run off from the mountains. The river here in town is flowing high and fast ,with many of the low lying spots along the river now under water. It been a long time since we have seen that here in town. Fontenelle dam increased their out flows to 8000 cfs just last week. They are trying to keep the level in fontenelle from going over the spillway. Six weeks ago fontenelle was way down ,and now it's almost at full pool.With the level coming up so fast at the gorge it has stirred up the water,and the fish are going deeper in the water column looking for cleaner water.

binthere50
06-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi Propnut....I've been following the posts here for months now and I'm
in need of a little local "love" here....I live in Calif....17 hours from the Gorge
to be exact..We are planning on leaving tomorrow morning to be at the Gorge
by Wed morning fishing, first trip there....Now I'm a little worried about these these past few reports!!.......In your esteemed opinion....Would you wait a few days if you
were me?...or is this one of those things that means nothing and things
could turn on again any day?....I'm not a frontrunner and don't mind puttin
in my time....I used to guide so I know the deal...however, rising water always worries me....I fish steelhead ALOT.....so I understand how water levels can affect the fishing....but I don't know the Gorge and need a little advice!
Whats your thoughts on the next 8
days for fishing Gorge Kokes?
If you don't mind :)worthy12......Mike

Propnut69
06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
binthere50 ,you ask if you should wait on a trip to the gorge,because of high water and slow fishing. IMO I would say don't wait ,go for it and here is why. We don't know how long the water will continue to rise,or when the out flows from fontenelle dam will be cut back. They(dept of reclamation) might cut them today,tomorrow,next week, who knows for sure. I don't know if or when the out flows of the flaming gorge dam will be increased. I do think that the fishing will be slower then normal,but the fish are still there to be caught. As with anyone that is coming to the gorge for the first time.I always tell them to buy a good map of the gorge. The maps are available here in Green River at Windriver Sporting Goods,Ace hardware may have the also. Buckboard marina has them too. I do think that with the rising water levels ,that there is a good possibility that the fish will be in areas ,that they usually don't hang out at. You may have to work a little harder then normal for fish,but the successful fisherman is the one that is willing to adapt to the conditions.

portofthesea
06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Was also at the Gorge the last couple of days. Fished out of Buckboard abit and out of Lucerne a little. According to chit chat on the marine band some people got into em and some didn't. I guess we fit somewhere in the middle. We caught some kokes but it was far from fast fishing. Didn't mark alot of fish either. A few reports of really good fishing.

BROWNBAGGER
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I know I have been asking many times since may, hows the water clearity? I'm chuckling to myself because usually the lake turns in may, now that I'm on my way up, it had to wait until the end of june, just my luck. this has been some odd weather this year. We are going to have snow in the higher elevations for the entire year......