PDA

View Full Version : What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?

dbcfr
06-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi All,
Here is a good question What Rods Are We Using For Koknee?
so as a custom rod builder I would like to ask the question and take a poll and just see what we are all using out there and maybe give and get some incite

I use custom wrapped Calstar and Seeker blanks spiral wrapped guides. Blank numbers are Calstar BT130-7 #4 to #12 and BT196L-7 #8 to #20 and Seeker numbers CSP702-1 #4 to #10

The Calstar blanks are E-glass the Seeker blanks are E-glass/Graf composite
the Calstar's have a fast taper to a light tip with a lot of back bone in the butt
The Seeker's have a mod taper with good back bone in the butt.

DaveB
DB Custom Fishing Rods

Petty4life
06-20-2009, 05:50 PM
I have lamiglas Team kokanee Jared Johnson Signature rods on my boat. Id like to get a couple Vance tackle spiral rods i looked at them the last 2 years and really like them

Bduck
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I too am using Team Kokanee Jared Johnson signature rods. Haven't looked into anything else at the moment. Always open for new equipment.

SilverBullets
06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
For trolling the Vance's Custom Spiral Wrap Model# LT702-7T
For jigging the Berkley Tactix Drop Shot/Finesse Model#TXS661MLF

wahoohunter
06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm using custom rods build by Terry Walton up at Pine Flat.
The ones I have are built on St. Croix blanks, spiral wrappped, almost fly rod type action, 7'1/2" and 8' long. I also have a couple of Vance's spiral wrapped.
Terry and I have a web page. If you want to check out a couple of examples of his Trout and Bass rods, you can go here http://www.bottomlinetackle.com/freshwaterrods/index.html
While you're there, check out the Presentation Rod section

ll kaidoy ll
06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
DaveB,

I'm using the 7' Mr. Kokanee Special rods made by Russ Faught of Fisherman's Friend in Lodi, CA as well as 7' Shakespeare Intrepids for "backups." I just picked up some St. Croix Premier 7'6" Kokanee Rods that I can't wait to try out soon.

There was a previous discussion very similar to your thread. Check it out by clicking here (http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=1394&highlight=rods).

halojm
06-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Team Kokanee rods all the way. I love how it makes smaller fish big.

Kokaholic
06-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Lamiglas Team Kokanee JJ specials all the way around on my boat!thumbsup

jekern1015
06-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I am using 6' and 6 1/2' uglystik's. I just bought a new 8' berkly for $30. I must be a cheapskate, I don't use nothing to fancy.

fishrman
06-20-2009, 11:54 PM
just purchased the lamiglass team kokanee jj . What a great feeling rod with a fish on.

dunnigan jim
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I use ths Lamiglas FC702UL w/Tica reels . Great action for kokes. Back ups are st. croix pc76lm w/abu garcia 4600 reels and the eagle claw starfire ul 8'6" ul w/pinnacle vision reels.

redmanjr1
06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I have lamiglas Team kokanee Jared Johnson Signature rods on my boat. Id like to get a couple Vance tackle spiral rods i looked at them the last 2 years and really like them

I'm also using the JJ Signature Red Rods and they are very nice. Only have been able to get them on the water once so far.

Bob

portofthesea
06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Just got back from the Gorge and it was the first chance to use a couple of new Team Kokanee JJ rods I had got at a sport show. At first it seemed a little bit limber because I have been using heavier Fenwicks but it wasn't long before I got into them and kinda like em. Not a bit sorry for buying them.

BROWNBAGGER
06-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm using 2ea 8'6" 8 to 12 pound test uglystiks, one eyelet free shasta brand kokanee rod, and one shimano clarus 8'6" 6 to 12 pound ultra lite.

DLM
06-24-2009, 07:12 PM
For trolling the Vance's Custom Spiral Wrap Model# LT702-7T
For jigging the Berkley Tactix Drop Shot/Finesse Model#TXS661MLF

Exactly what I use, man that Silver Bullets is a smart guyworthy12laugh hyst

Fallriverguy
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Daiwa Spinmatic SMC 702ULFB
Lamiglas Rock Creek Series AC73UL
Shakespear Catera SP6070
Lamiglas FC 76 UL
Berkley Tactix TXS661MLF (for jigging)

Kokaneemart
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
In addition to the aformentioned JJ Lamiglass rods, I also like the 8 ft. Kufa kokanee rods. They are great in the rodholder for loading in the riggers and I've caught 4+ lb kokes on them so they handle big fish too.

My personal favorite is my Kokaneemart handmade rods made on a Rainshadow 3-weight blank. We do 15 eyes (yes 15!) and they are awesome...rated 2- 8 lb and I've caught 4+ lb kings and 2+ lb kokes with no problems...except for the huge smile on my face!!! thumbsup

MMDON
07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I run 4-GLoomis, GL2, STR1083S, 9’, Light, Mod Fast Action, Rods. I love the length of a 9' rod when fighting fish that outrun the action on a shorter rod. In my opinion I get less break offs and less hook pull outs!

Mojo
07-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I just got 2 WW GRigg 8'4" GX853C Meduim Light action rods. I run some mid-quality low profile reels on them and with 10 pound mono they are awesome. At about 30 bucks from Sportsman's Warehouse, they are a nicely priced rod as well.

RIVERHAWK
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Does anyone have any idea where the Lamiglas jj rods are still available?

Excaliber
07-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Fisherman's Friend in Lodi had some and I bought two. I'm not impressed with these two JJ Lamiglas Kokanee rods. Sure they look neat but they are very poorly built.
The rod buts were crooked as heck and seating material was showing. Whoever put them together should be fired. Maybe they ran out of the right rod butts?
Both rods had a slight bend on the tip sections and a few of the guides were bent. I know the rods are fairly inexpensive but jeesh.

If I would have seen them in person I wouldn't have bought these two rods. I would have looked them over to find two good ones but I ordered them sight unseen.
I have used Lamiglas Rods for years and I've never seen such poor quality on any rod they've ever built.

They should be dissapointed. What happened to their QC? The good thing is they fish well and load up nicely in the downriggers.

I have a couple Daiwa Spinmatic's that cost 1/2 as much that are much better built and they work really well. They're a great rod for the price. I'll be picking up a couple more soon.

Mossback
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
dbcfr,

Pardner, I have used 'em all over the years from a Grizzly blank #4 fly-rod blank that I tyed up in the 60's to a Lamiglass "Summer Run" 8'6" (Light X86LC). I have a Shimano/Calcutta 50 on it w/6# PowerPro. I downrigg w/this setup and it has provided me alot of enjoyment akin to mooching salmon off of similiar gear w/a direct drive reel.

I too have looked at and rejected Lamiglass's Koke rods. I have not seen the JJ's and I'm sure Excaliber knows his/her rods. But I am a Lamiglass/Sage rod devotee. OK, I like St. Croix and Berkeley too! I guess what I am saying is that to fish Kokes, ya need a 7'6" - 8' 6" fast action light weight rod that simply suits your taste. Go that way and add guides (more guides = more stiffness) just seems to mean to me to add length. It's really a matter of preference on what provides you the enjoyment of catching these great fiesty fish. Those spiral rods just fascinate me and maybe I can get out with one of you Kokonuts that have one to try one?

Just remember, different rods for different folks. As long as your having fun it's all good!

Mossback tooexcited

dbcfr
07-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Well I have just wrapped up 4 Seeker CSP702 spiral wrap with 10 guides each. I will be giving them a try and see if I like them a I have also wrapped up 4 Calstar BT130 7' they seem to be a better blank. has anyone tried Calstar rods?... the action on them is great for downrigger fishing Koknee and the blank has some good back bone for playing with the mac's also....Just may be the new hot ticket for a killer Koknee rod I will let you know once I test them...Oh did I mention I was a rod builder with 35+ years of experience with ocean rods and fly rods now I am on to playing with Koknee and doing quite well
Mini Report of the last 2 weeks movie89586 thumbsup
Shaver = 35 1 at 20" by the 8 year old , 15 small rainbows
McClure =12 Koknee,7 Kings, 3 rainbow, 1 lake 26" , 1 Brook 19"
Don Padro =7 Koknee , 4 nice Kings ,1 24" rainbow , 4 sun burns , 1 bee sting (me) on the way home

at McClure we were looking for the Brown and the Cutthrout but no luck that seemed like a grand slam to me as I am not sure if the other 2 are in that lake
not too bad for one old man and 3 kids
now we are off to Flamin Gorge to work on the Koknee and Lakers for a week

Full_Monte
07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
You guys all have me buffaloed with all this brand talk about rods. I really only have experience with the Lamiglas Team Kokanee "Red" rod. It surprised me last week by landing a 20-lb. German Brown. I would have bet that it would break landing that fish. Story on another post

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=2163

This experience gave me a lot of confidence in that rod.

dubob
07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I took a look at the Lamiglas kokanee rod at Anglers Den in Roy, UT. Very nice rod. Then I saw the price - $90. Ouch. So I asked if there were any other similar rods in the store for less money. The answer was yes.

I bought two. They are Ugly Stick Ultra-lites. Seven footers with a FAST action and rated for 2-6 or 8 lb test line. I used them today at Strawberry Reservoir looking for kokanee. They are very limber and showed the least little hook-up on the downriggers. The bad news is that ALL the hook-ups were on rainbows and cutthroats - no kokanees. They were very nice handling the 9 trout we caught and we never lost a single fish. I think I'm really going to like these two rods.

Oh, and the price was $40 apiece. Thats less money for 2 rods than one Lamiglas.

afishenado
07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
in the 6 years that I hav ben fishing kokanee,I have tried just about every kokanee rod maid. my favorites ar (1-7'6" st.croix ) ( 2-7'6" jj-lamiglass ) ( 3 -7' shimano talora) I like the 12 eyes on the jj rods, if they wher one piece rods,they would be my # 1 rods. if your out ther jj,talk to me ,I want one of thos red rods maid especialy for me in one piec OK. Gabe

Troutski
07-20-2009, 02:48 AM
I had a friend build me a 3 WT Fly rod blank in to a level wind rod with 13 guides, I put a line counter reel on it, with a Sling blade followed by a Crippler or a ring - oh what a joy. Eight pound main line to 6 pound fluorocarbon to the first swivel and chain. The only back bone is the long cork handle and reel seat.
Today while trolling for Land Locked Chinook in my favorite lake I tagged a very healthy 19" rainbow on a ring and garden hackle, absolutely buried two thirds of my rod in the lake...what a treat, that thing made that little reel scream and the rod at one time looked like a question mark - hummm great name for the rod...I know this is a Koke Forum didn't mean to regress but man that was a slammer fish.

Chuck

CRW
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Well I picked up a Lamiglas CG70DR and a Lamiglas CGR762L Team Kokanee.

I have not had a chance to use them very much, so I don't have much to say yet. We will see.

Excaliber
07-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Who makes the lightest action ultralight Kokanee Rod?
My Lamiglas JJ rods are too much rod for the smaller Kokes here. They need Gorge sized fish IMHO.
How do the other Lamiglas rods compare to the Red Rods?

We have two of the Daiwa Spinmatics and they are awesome rods. I can't believe how nice they are for under $30.00. I'll be picking up a couple more soon.

Steve079
07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm fishing on a budget. I have two Shakespere Agility rods, that I just bought from a fellow fisherman. Prior to this purchase, I had an Okuma Kokanee pro, and a 8 ftZander rod from Cabela's. I really liked that 8 footer, but it was just too long to use in my small boat, with my short frame. At 5-8, its just a bot too long. 7 footers are just right.

Mossback
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Just picked up a Lamiglas 7'9" GC792 UL Tournament Kokanee. Coupled with my Shimano Calcutta 50B.........should be fun!

bobco
08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
anybody tried the diawa heartland koke rods? I like the heartland series in other rods and the price looks good at around $40?? also the okuma at $35 looks interesting.

Kokanee Wizard
08-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Clearly there isn't one rod that works for all. For smaller (early season) kokes I perfer a 7'9" 3 weight fly rod made into a casting rod or something that's very limber. I've broken too many rods so I typically use two piece rods.

Later in the season when the fish get up to 19" and bigger or when fishing Flaming Gorge then a stiffer rod is definately needed. The Lamiglass JJ rod is perfect for this. Obviously a shorter rod will work better in a smaller boat. On wide beam boats a longer rod helps keep the fish/line out of the other downriggers, kicker etc.

Another time a stiffer rod is a plus is when jigging. I've tried using my typical kokanee rod and setting the hook is difficult when the rod is too limber.

oneeye
08-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I bought a couple of those heartland dwnrgr kok rods a month or so ago. Great rod for the price, light action you can really load em up on the downrigger.

CRW
08-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Daiwa Spinmatic SMC 702ULFB
Lamiglas Rock Creek Series AC73UL
Shakespear Catera SP6070
Lamiglas FC 76 UL
Berkley Tactix TXS661MLF (for jigging)

How do you like your Lamiglas FC76UL? I was playing with one in the store the other day. Wow, that thing seems really limber. How is it with a fish on??

dunnigan jim
08-06-2009, 02:34 AM
CRW I have 4 of the Lamiglas fc702ul and they where great on the Kokes at the Gorge. I like the why they DON'T snap up when the fish pulls the line out of the releases. It seems to help keep the hook from being ripped from the mouth of the smaller fish meaning more fish to the boat. I highly recommend them for kokes on the downriggers.

bobco
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I bought a couple of those heartland dwnrgr kok rods a month or so ago. Great rod for the price, light action you can really load em up on the downrigger.
thanks , the price is right and I really like my other heartland rod.

oneeye
08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Jim, haven't experienced the hooks ripping out since I've been using the heartland kok rods. I'd say we're close to ninety percent on hook ups and fish in the boat using the double hook set up.

trollmonkey
11-22-2009, 11:28 PM
worthy12 I built two rods on BATSON RDR blanks and we love them. Last year I went cheaper and built a koke rod on A Batson 7' fiber glass blank ,this rod caught the NC State record koke. All three rods have held up well over two years of heavy use. If you build or know a builder these are reasonably priced sticks.

3RivrFishr
11-24-2009, 01:35 AM
I am a big fan of Batson. My favorite steelhead drift rods are Rainshadow XST's. After Christmas I will be building a couple of kokanee rods spiral wrapped with mini guides on RDR76L blanks.

trollmonkey
11-30-2009, 11:30 PM
3 Is there any science to spiral wrapping, or do you just see what works on a particular blank? I spiraled some 8' ugly sticks years ago that worked well,so I try to use more or less the same set up and make adjustments to make the spiral work on other blanks.

3RivrFishr
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
3 Is there any science to spiral wrapping, or do you just see what works on a particular blank? I spiraled some 8' ugly sticks years ago that worked well,so I try to use more or less the same set up and make adjustments to make the spiral work on other blanks.

These will be my first spirals. From what I have been told there are some general guidelines like getting the transition done before the rod bend, offsetting the bumper guide from whichever side the reel handle is on and such but static testing is all the science needed. I'm sure a person could get carried away with making sure the guides are set up on perfect axis angles and such but life is too short IMO. Run the line through the guides, tape them on, static test and adjust til its right then wrap away.

JcTyee
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I built 4 Batson Rainshadow spiral wrapped with mini guides on RDR76L blanks and love them for Koks! A blast for catching Baker Lake sockeye also...

3RivrFishr
06-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I built 4 Batson Rainshadow spiral wrapped with mini guides on RDR76L blanks and love them for Koks! A blast for catching Baker Lake sockeye also...

I absolutely Love 'em!

DRM
06-06-2013, 11:44 PM

Jc
I have been building a few kokanee rods using the batson blanks, mostly the 7 and 7 1/2 feet. 2 piece.
Anyway, been using the Batson blanks for my bass, steelhead and salmon rods. I think they are as good as anything out there. IMO.

JcTyee
06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Will also be putting them to the test for Pink Salmon in the Snohomish Rvr. in August..... Fish on!

KokeKruiser
06-11-2013, 11:55 PM
I am running Lamiglass FC76UL and love it. The rods are extremely limber but are built very well and can handle most any kokanee you can throw at it.

gcbcaddis
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM
I use the Red Lamiglass team kokanee rod @ 8.5' in length. Love it.

clawman
12-31-2013, 10:25 PM
I use the Red Lamiglass team kokanee rod @ 8.5' in length. Love it.

I do as well and really like them.
I am a firm believer in the theory that if I spend more on tackle in the off season I'll catch a lot more fish in the spring.thumbsup
Hey its boat show and outdoor show season, bring it on!!

SuperD
01-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Jared and Rob's new line of Velocity rods are now officially out and I plan on checking out a few at the ISE here in a couple of weeks.

Kokaholic
01-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Not only do we have the new rods, but also the new Velocity reels. The web site will be up soon and we will be having some great show prices for rods, reels and combos. We even have a sweet little ice rod combo. These are all top quality rods in both glass and graphite and in assorted lengths and colors. We will have a full booth of Velocity products at all of the I.S.E shows shows this spring to meet all your trolling and spin casting needs. They look very sharp. See you all in Sacramento next week and in SLC in March.

SuperD
01-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Mark, I noticed that some have a thin blank and some the fatter blank. Is that just the difference in glass vs. graphite?

Kokaholic
01-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Yes, that's the difference. They look very sharp and grab your eye. there is even a pink one for the ladies.

kokanee_slayer
01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I am using 6' and 6 1/2' uglystik's. I just bought a new 8' berkly for $30. I must be a cheapskate, I don't use nothing to fancy. I've tried more expensive rods but personally prefer the light action Uglysticks when Downrigger Fishing for Koks. Obviously, everyone has their own preference like Chevys and Fords.

SuperD
01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I've generally stayed away from the pricey rods because I know how rough I am and know it is "when" and not "if" I break a tip off at some point. I hear tell that these new Velocity rods have a great warranty at right around $80. I've got my eye on a couple of the light blue 7'-9" glass rods. They aren't quite as limber as the previous white rods but not bad.

mrmike
01-02-2014, 12:37 PM
I've had a friend Jay at Wraptor Rods do some custom rods for me my newest is a 4 weight fly rod blanks 7 1/2 ft solid blank with graphite composite handles I've gone away from cork handles they cost me about the same as any good rod. The fly rod blanks are unbelievable sensitive. For 2014 I decide my company is going to donate a Custom Rod made by Wraptor Custom Rods. Wraptor has done some awsome custom Rods for the TV program WICKED TUNA, as I mentioned above this one is gold in color along with a Accudeph ICV 15 engineered by Daiwa with a Digital line counter also equipped with 8 # Max ultra green line INCLUDED is a custom wobbler designed by Looney Lures and a Magic Mike teaser I 've almost completed this project, all proceed from the RAFFLE will go to assist KOKANEE POWER OF OREGON Nonprofit organization dedicated to the enhancement of Oregon's Inland Fisheries. I have the ROD completed the signs are done. I just need to pick up the reel The Pole and Reel will be at the Sportsman Show in early February which booth, I'm not sure as of yet. I've just been inform this year Kokanee Power of Oregon won't have a both there are numerous friends I know that will have booth at the show. the ticket cost is $2.00 each or 6 for $10.00 I will have some Photos shortly. I feel it will help support are fishery. The drawing will be at the Odell Kokanee Tournament in August and one need not be present to win. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this I can't think of a better way to start 2014

smokin' Kokes
01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
For the early season fast growing tender mouth kokes that throw and tear out hooks so easily, I use Diawa Ultralight Spinmatics with 4lb test mono on the small Ticas.
Also been using for the last 2 years and still testing a 13' 6" Aventa center pin ultra light rod with a float reel and 4 lb test mono for max stretch and less strain on the soft mouths.
Surface trolling, none to less than 2 oz of weight

Use the soft action fiberglass Jareed Johnson Specials for regular season down rigger trolling.

Used my 8 ft med action G. Loomis GL3 casting steelhead rod and 8 lb when I was fishing Wallowa Lake for the big one, glad I had the heavy rod for the 6 lber I finally got, they're fat slow slabs that use their sideways force to fight with. No current in the lake to give them muscles but they just don't quit, keep pumping that big tail in a circle slabbed sideways to the boat.

clawman
01-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Ever used 9' rods? I was looking at the Lamiglass and wonder what the downside of a 9' rod are.

sawtooth
01-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Clawman,
Getting the fish to the net can be a problem in a smaller boat or if you are on your own and are trying to hold the rod and net the fish at the same time. I like a rod that is from 7-8 1/2 ft. with a soft top half and made of graphite. Not a big fan of the real soft noodles that are made primarily of fiberglass. Too heavy and the fiberglass absorbs a lot of the fight in my opinion. I build my own rods, so I use the shortest Baston Forecast 5 wt. blank that they make, or more recently, their lightest freshwater Popping rod blank. Both are super light and I can feel every head shake or tail flip.

Mojo
02-06-2014, 10:34 AM
I just picked up 2 of the Velocity Blue Rods. After messing around with all their different styles, they fit my plan the best. Talked with Jared for quite a bit before deciding. He definitely has a great plan moving forward, and I will be getting more of his gear.

Mharri333
02-08-2014, 11:31 AM

The Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor booth in Portland had a bunch of the JJ rods on sale. Red or White for 49.99. I have two white ones already so I picked up two in red. I also picked up a couple cold water reels. I use one on a Fetha Styx rod I have and really really like them together.

Robbo
06-29-2014, 10:32 PM
I use a Daiwa "Heartland" light and an "Okuma SST 702L Kokanee"....I particularly like the Daiwa, it has super flex from butt to tip whilst being no slouch in the power dept :)

DLM
06-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I was looking at a Tica 8' rod the other day, $89. Glass with a nice steady curve and not too noodly. Anyone have experience with these?

MackayGuy
06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
I was looking at a Tica 8' rod the other day, $89. Glass with a nice steady curve and not too noodly. Anyone have experience with these?

I have the 7'6" version of the Tica. I like it a lot. It's a lot of fun with a 1 1/2 to 2 pound koke on the other end of the line. I don't know what the difference in the newer 8' rod is....I haven't seen one locally so I could touch it and see how it compares.

Mharri333
06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I used the 7'6" Tica with Tica reels all last year and the year before. They work well and are very light. The have a decent amount of flexibility and a decent backbone. We used them in Brewster and on Baker Lake to pull in Sockeye as well and they were fine. It is fun to fight a sockeye on that light of gear but it can be a challenge if you have to muscle one into a net. I eventually had one snap in half when I was pulling it from a stiffer clip. I replaced it with a couple of the Lamiglass JJ rods. I now have 2 in red and 2 in white. I tend to like them a little better than the Tica. They feel more substantial. I put the Okuma Coldwater reels on the red rods and really like the way they handle. I want to try the Okuma reels on the white ones next. I have the Tica reels on them now but they feel so small after using the Okumas.

kelson
06-30-2014, 03:52 PM
I do all my salmon trolling Canadian style, Islander knuckle busters and softer rods. So I thought why not for Koks? I have found the Reddington 7'6" 4 wt. fly rods to be perfect accompanied by a 8wt fly reel loaded with lots of backing and 100' of 8# mono. Cabelas has a very serviceable reel for $30. Good times!
K

BonkinKokes
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
I use the Team Kokanee JJ CGR 762L. Love the rods and see no reason to switch. Calstar and Seeker are also good quality stuff. Favorite ocean rod is a Seeker.

carlz
06-30-2014, 04:15 PM
8 ugly sticks, have an addiction to ugly stick from ultralight to sturgeon rods

Smalma
06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
I tend to be a bit of rod collector and have 6 for my kokanee fishing. Have two old 4 weight glass rods (7 1/2 and 8 foot) that I rebuild for kokanee fishing and two lamiglass including the yellow ultra light; all 4 are great rods and do a very nice job on the kokanee. That said my every day kokanee rods are a pair of 7 1/2 Tica super ultra lights. The Tica rods have nice soft actions that do more than a creditable job in both the downrigger and handling the fish and I think an excellent value.

I couple my kokanee rods with one of several old reels from my bass fishing days that have direct drive features. The combination of those soft rods, direct drive reels and the other usual kokanee 'tricks" usually allow me to achieve have a reasonable high hook-up to landed ratios. This morning was usually poor in terms of converting hooked fish to fish in the box; hooked 13 and only landed 10 of them.

Curt

DRM
06-30-2014, 07:24 PM
build my own using Batson blanks. usually in the 7 1/2, but a few are 8's. lots of guides and 14" rear corks. They work or me.

Mike
06-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Call me cheap, But I really love my cabelas depth master's down rigger rods, They have a moderately fast tapper with medium action 8' 6''. I'm on my third season with them and for $35 bucks a piece I can't complain.

SuperD
06-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Call me cheap, But I really love my cabelas depth master's down rigger rods, They have a moderately fast tapper with medium action 8' 6''. I'm on my third season with them and for $35 bucks a piece I can't complain.
I bought mine in the Bargain Cave and they are my ocean, King Salmon downrigger rods. Talk about an a$$ whoopin! But lots of fun.

mrmike
07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I own 4 of the Tica and for the money they are just great rod for kokanee and for one on a budget they are just great. A few years back a friend for a birthday gift present me with a fly rod blank 6 weight converted over for a baitcaster reel it is 9 ft with a cork handle an I love it. I've since went to custom made 4 weight fly rod blanks converted over for baitcaster reel they are 7 ft these are Limaglas blanks made by WRAPTOR RODS. My thought are they are the perfect rod for kokanee. They cost me close to 150.00 each.They have Graphite Composite reel seats etc.etc.

cowlitzsteelie1977
07-01-2014, 04:31 PM
I bought a Lamiglas CGR 762L and a Okuma SST-C-762L. Seriously, I only bought them because they said Kokanee on the rod and it was during a SPORTCO tent sale. After using them for 2 years now, I really like them. You don't need a snubber or have to let off the drag to fight the fish. I do like the Lamiglas one for 2 reasons. The Lamiglas feels lighter in the action and fighting the fish is awesome. They are also red, so its easier to see a fish hit the lure which is nice when you are sitting back drinking an ice cold Pepsi made with real sugar and the rod suddenly goes Fish On!! Okuma is brown and blends in with the water so could miss some tappy taps, unless you are my nephew who watches the pole like a hawk. Your fancy high dollar rods are cool too, just haven't the funds for them yet..74557456

SuperD
07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
This is my only expensive rod that I own. It is so thin, you can see through it. It takes me a good while to fight a naked lure back to the boat.

Lamiglass FC 76 UL - 7' 6", 1 piece, Lure Wt. 1/16-1/4 oz. Line Wt. 4-8 lbs. Action: Slow Power: Ultra Light

mtncat1
07-01-2014, 07:11 PM
I've used several rods for kokanee my favorites were the red team kokanee rmt rods .I've since changed them all to the blue velocity rods and love them they are reasonably price and have a great warranty. I also used Vance's and okuma's with good suscess

clawman
07-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I am looking to add a couple of rods. Not that I am turned off by price I need to see some value in paying much more for custom rods to stick in a rod holder. Same would go for factory rods that are 100 -200 bucks. I have been using the J Johnson Lamiglass and they seem to get the job done. I am posting all of this to ask what am I missing? Does paying more get you more or just a feeling that if it is more expensive it MUST be better?

SuperD
07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Clawman, as a JJ rod user already, I suggest you try the new Velocity rods. Regarding high priced rods, I only picked one as a novelty rod that is a complete noodle, tip to handle.

clawman
07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Anybody use the Diawa Heartland series Kokanee rods?

SuperD
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Anybody use the Diawa Heartland series Kokanee rods?

Page 2 of the thread had a couple Heartland comments.

Outlaw
08-27-2016, 11:46 PM
Has anyone use boo rods? I have a 9ft 3 or 4 weight I was thinking of converting to a casting rod. Want to use the smallest micro one foot guides 15 in all, spiral. Carbon split handles and a two piece reel seat. What ya all think.
Sorry, I am new here and haven't done my profile or introduced myself.
Interesting site. Thanks.
Outlaw

sawtooth
08-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the forum Outlaw. Haven't fished with a bamboo rod for Kokanee before, but it should be alright as long as you are long lining with little or no weight. I definitely wouldn't use it with a downrigger as you would greatly increase the risk of breaking the rod. I build all my Koke trolling rods with a spiral wrap. Are you planning to make the turn quickly with three or four guides or a slow spiral using several guides? Wondering which would put less stress on the split bamboo sections. Where did you get the original bamboo fly rod? Is it an old one or did you build it recently? It would be a shame to mess with one of the old classics.

AFDan52
08-28-2016, 11:28 AM
I use Vance's Spiral Wrap 702's , I like the overall action and having the best of both spinning and baitcasting action at the same time . I have always had an attraction to the Spiral Wrap Rods .

mrmike
08-28-2016, 02:53 PM
I have a few rods one is a 9 ft /5 weight fly rod blank converted a good friend made as a birthday present.I love it,but in my personnel thought its to long for boat fishing. I have 4 rods that are 6 1/2 and 7 ft in lenght 4 weight fly rods blanks converted for kokanee there awesome made by wrapter rods. The boo rods a great idea but too long IMO

Outlaw
08-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the replys. After reading more on this it probably would be a waste of time. I have a bunch of glass rods that are waiting to have something done to them so will build a seven ft into a koke rod for a Dr.
I have a few 9 ft boo rods that are old but not worth a lot but I like em. I always put a fast twist to get to the underside of the rod.
Outlaw

BearLakeFishGuy
09-01-2016, 04:16 PM
I use Cabelas Downrigger 8'6" medium action rods. They have the backbone for the big Kokes @ Flaming Gorge and allow you to land the fish without tiring it out so much that it kills the fish (if you release it). These rods are WAY under-rated in my opinion.

callelk
09-08-2016, 10:06 AM
I use the Lamiglas Team Kokanee JJ White 8' rods as my downrigger rods and they seem to work just fine as long as the drags are set correctly.

I have two rigged with pre-1971 ABU Ambassadeur 5000A red reels. I modify my 5000's for trolling with later model red B clicker side plates (for early season long lining), drive handle bearing upgrade, custom flat-top drag plates with greased carbon fiber drags, ceramic line pawls, and vintage power handles. I remove the brake blocks as they are not needed in a trolling reel and do no "super tuning" other than clean and re-grease annually.

For later in the season long lining I use a Temple Fork Outfitters Signature Series 8' 6" Medium Action with an ABU Ambassadeur 4500 C3 "Kokanee" that is a special order custom for Fisherman's Warehouse in CA.

My wife's rod is a pink Okuma SST Kokanee with a Tica reel.

For jigging, I use an Okuma SST Kokanee spinning with a Pflueger President and metered Power-Pro.

mtncat1
09-08-2016, 03:56 PM
I use Cabelas Downrigger 8'6" medium action rods. They have the backbone for the big Kokes @ Flaming Gorge and allow you to land the fish without tiring it out so much that it kills the fish (if you release it). These rods are WAY under-rated in my opinion.

you should try the cabelas wuppin stick 8' light rod they are a really great and durable rod, with a really good action for koke fishing the come in around 20 to 30 bucks each but most stores don't carry them. I do in store pick up so no charge for shipping I use these as back ups to my velocity rods and also for wiper trolling.

SuperD
09-09-2016, 10:35 AM
you should try the cabelas wuppin stick 8' light rod they are a really great and durable rod, with a really good action for koke fishing the come in around 20 to 30 bucks each but most stores don't carry them. I do in store pick up so no charge for shipping I use these as back ups to my velocity rods and also for wiper trolling.
I recently picked up 2 of these for Walleye and Wipers. It feels like it should be a great rod, pretty too!

mtncat1
09-10-2016, 06:57 PM
these rods have held up well for 4 and 5 pound wipers and walleye , and have been supple enough for kokanee. i like the light action ones the best but i do have a med light .

COfisherman
09-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Hi all
I picked up one of the XCC 801 GH rods and I love it. I'm not a rod guru or anything, but this rod as upped my hook up % by at least 10 points. I have no good explanation for that, nor can I speak about the tech reasons. I really like this rod for trolling. I have caught soon real nice rainbows and even a 28" laker on it. The rod just seams to work. They call it a steelhead plug rod but it does not seem to know it is catching 12-16 inch kokes or 5-10 pound trout. It's long enough so when you are alone you can keep the fish out away from the boat, while grabbing the net, then just raise the tip then just swim the fish in the net. That increases landing numbers.
It is just a great rod. Pricey yes but well worth it.
CH

kelson
09-23-2016, 10:52 AM
I have been using Reddington 4wt fly rods. 7'6". I have them matched to single action large arbor reels for fast retrieve. These reels ad another dimension of fun/challenge when landing fish. I don't let first timers use them unless they want to try. Koks are such a blast!

allanspond
09-27-2016, 11:27 PM
I was using the cabelas depth master 8" down rigger rod in a medium action. I catch all types of fish with them. It seemed though that I was losing my kokes with this rod. I went and picked up two of the Okuma SST-S-762 L and put Diawa Accudepth plus reels on them. My hook up and landing the fish has gone up probably 30%.
I didn't realize kokes had such soft mouths. That is the neat thing about fishing for different species- you learn something new. I believe all around it makes us better. Thanks for all the input.

So what size line do you all use?

Regards,

Allanspond

mtncat1
09-28-2016, 10:09 PM
i think a medium action rod is is to much rod for koke fishing .i always try for a light action rod unless i'm jigging

allanspond
09-28-2016, 11:02 PM
I agree. My okuma's are a light action. This has made a huge difference.

F-Bomb
10-10-2016, 11:20 AM
The jury is still out but.........
Just picked up a four pack of new sticks from Lamiglas and put then to the test yesterday. 2 x KWIK series XCC801 GH and 2 x Custom medium action 9.6 Pro series. They feel great with fish on em and we went from an average 35%-40% hooked to landed to 16 on 15 landed yesterday. Obviously could be a nominally since it's such a small sample size. I'm certain that the very soft end third of these poles is a factor. I put the 8fters on the DR setups and run the longer poles long line out the sides way back. No tangles all day which is a miracle when running four setups no deeper than 15ft and still catching a nice batch of fish. I use a lot of oil with the corn and the graphite/carbon handles are a huge plus as they don't hold the goo like cork.

...also load all of the poles with Okuma 203 cold water reels. LOVE THESE! A lot of reel for these small fish but they work flawlessly with downrigger set downs and I can move them over to salmon/steelhead poles if needed. Far superior to my vast collection of Abu Ambassadors that they replaced and the line counter knowledge is really handy.

saltrunner75
11-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Been using an Okuma sst rod I really liked it until I broke the tip off (totally my fault) I just received the Vances spiral rods I ordered from Kokanee tackle, one 8 ft for lakers and a 7.5 for kokes I am intrigued by the spiral wrap guides, they make sense for a trolling rod, they look well built and match the okuma coldwater reels colors, now to get out and try them.

mrmike
11-11-2016, 09:40 PM
I been using custom rods by a good friend Jay from Wraptor Rods he has made tuna rods for the folks at WICKED TUNA tv show. With age comes experience I have gone over to #5 weight fly rod blanks in a 6 1/2 ft and 7 ft size, he uses a pheasant feather pattern with graphite handles, I love them, pull up his web site it's awsome. I had a friend make me a 9 ft 7# weight as a present and fell in love with these type blanks. My wife landed a 14# Mack she caught on Kokanee gear at ODELL on a 5# weight.

SuperD
11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Been using an Okuma sst rod I really liked it until I broke the tip off (totally my fault) I just received the Vances spiral rods I ordered from Kokanee tackle, one 8 ft for lakers and a 7.5 for kokes I am intrigued by the spiral wrap guides, they make sense for a trolling rod, they look well built and match the okuma coldwater reels colors, now to get out and try them.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion after using them. I have some friends that love them. I've fished with them a couple times on their boats and wasn't a fan of the spiral guides but I think it was because I have a habit of running my hand down the back of the rod when I load it into the downrigger. Doing that with a hand full of eyes was awkward.

Bduck
11-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Jay, I'm a fan of Vance's spiral wrap rods. Have a pair of the 702's in my arsenal with Tica gold caimans. I do have an interest in the cold water Okumas, 2 of my Bear L rods have Okuma MA30DX reels and 2 other kokes rods are mounted with Okuma CV15D Convectors. Everything I have I'm happy with. AFDan is also using Vance's spiral wraps 702's.