PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Mossback
06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the Forum. Spent 40 years fishing for these critters off and on (started in the 60's at Lake Alamanor, California) and am now ready to make a real effort to search high and low for 'em (I'll be retiring soon).

I'm always out there ready to learn something new. I tie up my own rigs and yes, shoepeg and # 4 & #6's pink and chautruese coated Gamu's always add in to my arsenal. I use a variety of dyes/scents on the corn and maggots.

I downrig exclusively the lakes of Pierce and Thurston County. Plenty of action to keep me from traveling far. But, I'd like to trailer the boat to Flaming Gorge someday and catch the sizeable fish that were once famous in Almanor.

Thoroughly enjoy all the good things from you good folks I've read here.

Just started experimenting with F-3 Flatfish w/6# leaders trailing #6's (2 w/a spongy lime glow ball in between).

The reasons I'm going back to Kokanee fishing is two reasons:

#1 - As an ole salmon moocher, South Sound really sucks.
#2 - Tides are not a factor!
#3 - See #2!

I do have a philosophy tho,................as an ole zipper lip I do not mention waters, only depths and gear. I truly believe that fishing is just that..........................fishing. Seek and ye shall find.

Mossback

redmanjr1
06-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Welcome Mossback. I used to be stationed at McChord and lived in Spanaway for a few years. My daughter also went to school in your neck of the woods at TESC for a couple of years.

Bob

MackPrince
06-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Welcome aboard MB. We look forward to your reports and posts, the whole time knowing that the specifics will be generous and the location will be elusive.

Great to have you with us!
thumbsup

Kokonuts
06-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the forum!.......I am also looking to retire soon, so if you can get down south to Lake Merwin give me a call!...... thumbsup.....Kokonuts

Mossback
06-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks folks for the kind welcome.

Well, I made my obligatory trip to Sportco up at Fife today to search out some enticing F-3/4 flat fish I could rig up for Kokes. Bumped into Tom Pollack there. Always a wealth of information. Asked him if he had heard of Lamniglas's Kokanee rods? Well that was a mistake crymeariver. Tom showed me the 7'6" S-Glass that was a real beauty for trolling lead line and the 7' downrigger. The former went for $141 and the downrigger rod for $44. That 7'6" is well designed to handle those soft lips. I'd use it on a downrigger with no problem. I currently use a Lamniglas light weight summer run with a Shimano Calcutta 50 and an old Lamniglas blank I built years ago w/a an Ambassador 2500c. Very fun set ups. Call me a gear nut but that 7'6" S-Glass is a very sweet rod!

Hit the lake late today for a couple of hours. Scratched up two nice Kokes at 12 and 13". Not the biggest to date but the little buggers were really thick in the shoulders and put up a great fight. The surface of the lake is 70 degrees and the bottom is running 48. They're on the bottom and coming up to within 17 to 27 feet of the surface to feed. Pretty typical, but if you send down a thermograph and key in on 50 degrees, and set your rigger at this depth, good luck. They just don't seem to bite down there?

Anyway, thanks for the reports on Merwin. When the lakes up this way run dry and the Sound doesn't produce, I may make the sojourn. Sounds like you good folks are having fun down there.

Mb