PDA

View Full Version : California Trailer Works aka DHM Trailers

Kokanee Wizard
06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I started having trouble backing up my trailer. I talked to one shop around the corner and they seemed clueless. After that I decided to try California Trailer Works (DHM trailers) in South Sacramento. All I can say is it was a great experience. The work was completed on time and below the original estimate. There were no surprises which is very refreshing.

They found that the trailer connector needed to be replaced. I also had them repack the wheel bearings and check the breaks. All done in less than three days.

I asked about changing the brakes over from surge to electric over hydraulic. They were very up front and quickly explained the benefits. I've decided that I'll be going back in the fall and making the change over.

If you need trailer work... give them a try. This is one company I hope stays around for a long time. thumbsup

Lundman
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
One thing to remember when backing a trailer with surge brakes up a steep incline is most likely the brakes on the trailer are being applied.

Like everything in the boating world - things wear out. That tug on takeoff
is the coupler moving back to let off the brakes. That little push when you stop is the coupler moving forward applying the brakes.

The coupler on a trailer with surge moves approx. 2" when starting and stopping. The stopping movement is used to apply pressure to the brake cylinder inside the couple housing - that pressure applies the brakes on the trailer.

I personally wouldn't swap out surge brake for electric brakes - just get to know how your trailer works. Have someone start and stop your trailer while you watch the coupler. You'll see how they work.

I have had to replace my housing after 5 years of use - the second one is n it's 4th year and works great.

I'm glad you found a shop that fixed your issue... thumbsup

FishHunter
06-19-2009, 05:56 PM
..........I asked about changing the brakes over from surge to electric over hydraulic. They were very up front and quickly explained the benefits. I've decided that I'll be going back in the fall and making the change over...... thumbsup

After a near disaster 2 years ago coming back from Flaming Gorge, I changed out the surge brakes for electric brakes on my trailer. My boat is pretty heavy and there are some steep grades from Flaming Gorge to Vernal and Rangley to Grand Junction and the surge brakes were definetly heating things up. It's one of the best moves I've made with the trailer and I'm glad to get rid of those surge brakes.

Kokanee Wizard
06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I'll be keeping the hydraulic disc brakes but changing out the actuator to an electric one. I fully understand how surge brakes work.

If someone doesn't know how surge brakes work, they might downshift which would apply the surge brakes causing the trailer to slow the entire rig. This is how the heat is typically generated especially on long downhill runs. This can lead to bearing failue and probably reduced brake life. With surge brakes it's best to slow down using the tow vehicle brakes then releasing the tow vehicle brakes letting the speed build back up and repeating as long as necessary. This allows the brakes to cool between cycles.