PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs Hockey Stick

3RivrFishr
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
North Idaho is hardcore spinner country and until last week when I caught my 1st Koke on a little pink Dick Night spoon spinners were the the only thing I had ever caught them on. Consequently the stores here dont stock much else in the way of lures. One place has a limited assortment of hockey sticks that look like apexes. I picked up three in size 1: 1 clear with holo tape, 1 pink and white that looks good enough for me to bite and one pink/bluish grey with black spots. I plan on re-rigging them with double red gammie octopus hooks becuase they have about 20lb mono on them and a hook that i wouldnt use for steelhead because its too big and has a little red fishy thing hangin on it.

Anyway, is there much difference between these and apex?

SilverBullets
06-15-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a few of them. There is a slight difference in action between them all, but in my experiance the catch rate has been close to the same with the Gibbs, the Hot Spot, and the Pro Troll lures. Run them along side the boat and adjust your speed for the best action. Alot of hits come during speed changes and turns.

3RivrFishr
06-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks. While I'm running this thing next to the boat to figure out what speed I shoud pull it at what am I looking for? I assume is just a slow waggle type of action?

Heres how I rigged 'em. Was thinking after I redid them all that maybe I should have left a swivel on the back to get the line farther in back of the lure body. ( I will bead-chaining the front) Whaddya think? My apologies for the stupid newbe questions...

DragginBalls
06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I usually rig all mine just as you did other than I put 3 beads in front of the hooks and it works well for me.

DLM
06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Instead of using beads try a rubber bobber stop which will allow you to adjust the trailing distance of the hooks, depending on the fish's desire on any given day.

SilverBullets
06-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks. While I'm running this thing next to the boat to figure out what speed I shoud pull it at what am I looking for? I assume is just a slow waggle type of action?

Heres how I rigged 'em. Was thinking after I redid them all that maybe I should have left a swivel on the back to get the line farther in back of the lure body. ( I will bead-chaining the front) Whaddya think? My apologies for the stupid newbe questions...

When running them along side the boat, adjust your speed to where the action becomes erratic, and a roll every now and then. While trolling, speed changes are critical to these lures getting hits...the kokes seem to follow and commit when the action changes. I think the weight of a barrel swivel used for hook set-back will mess up the lures action when trolling at slower speeds. Like dlm mentioned, try a bobber stopper. Also, I've had excellent success running four 4-5 mm glow beads above the top hook.

3RivrFishr
06-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks again for the help!