PDA

View Full Version : New Wyoming State Record Kokanee.

fishonlynch
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Brian Ekx of Colorado caught new Wyoming state record kokanee today at Flaming Gorge. The fish was 6.26 lbs & 24 - 1/2 inches. He was fishing on team #89 Vance's Tackle at the Buckboard derby. Congratulations Brian...Awesome fish!!!

Digi-Troller
06-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Now thats a nice koke! Congrats to the angler. From what I'm hearing there are some really nice kokes being caught this year already. Good to see the new record! Thats awesome. Cant wait to get up there myself! As always, fishonlynch, thanks for posting up! Do you have a leaderboard pic again this year?

fishonlynch
06-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Yes! I will be posting it later today along with my post and other pictures.

Bduck
06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Congrats to Brian Ekx. worthy12

Mickey Thomas
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, we heard about it way out here in California, I guess there was a lot of noise coming off Vances' boat. Congrats Brian, that's a beast. I want one too.

wahoohunter
06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Congrats Brian and thanks for the post, fishonlynch

Code4
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I was fishing the Buckboard Derby and saw this fish in person. The photos do it no justice! It is an awesome koke, a true pig. Congrats to Brian.worthy12

justfish
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
great fish brian

Fort_Bragger
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Wow! What a fish Brian. I'll be there is a couple of days. Save one of those for me will you?
Ben.

MJCook6
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Amazing Fish...Congrats..

Hooter Patrol
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Way to go Brain you are the kokanee man ( For Now Ha,Ha ) worthy12
Good job !!!!!!!!! thumbsup

jacksonlaker
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, what a big koke !!! You knew the record would fall someday out of Flaming Gorge. It wouldn't surprise me to see it broken again this year. Congrats on a great fish.

binthere50
06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Now we are all waiting to see what it was caught on!....lol,,,,,Mike

Pro~Fishing~Sea
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats to Vance and his team Brian sure did catch a great fish and it's true the picture just dosn't do it justice....The fish was caught straight out from Buckboard marina Vance was running his new COPPER BLUE DODGER with a #1 PINK/BLUE GLOW SOCKEYE SLAMMER it's a pink and blue mini spoon and a Vance's tackle 7' Sprial wrap rod and a Tica CT150 reel.....

Cory

Kokaholic
06-15-2009, 09:02 PM
I didnt get to see the fish in person but WOW. Nice fish Brian. When I heard it come across the radio we new it was gonna be a money winner and possibly the record. HAd a great time as always at the tourney. We had forth place for awhile but just couldnt hold on and back it up with another.

Once again, hats off to Vance and his team. They are the bomb!worthy12

HiTechKoke
06-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Wow.. I'm surprised a fish that big came in on a size 6 hook without straightening it. That must have been an adrenaline rush to bring in that one. Wonder what leader length he was using too.

zhands
06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Congrats Brian ....WOWZ tooexcited

Petty4life
06-17-2009, 10:57 PM
this is probly the best pic of the fish ive seen

dunnigan jim
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
CONGRATS BRIAN Just got back from the Auburn CHP Derby at Stampede and had 4 emails about your fish thumbsup. Hope theres more large kokes left for us when we get there on the 6th july.

Kokanee Killer
06-17-2009, 11:01 PM
awesome fish maaan,, maybe you can send some of thoes wonderful gorge genetics here to the east coastthumbsup

MackPrince
06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Awesome catch. We could use some fish like that over here in WA.crymeariver
worthy12worthy12worthy12

Kokaholic
06-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Here is what is so great about this whole new state record fish, I would bet that this record get broken again this year. There was another fish that came in the day before the tourney up there that anolder couple had at the cleaning station that was probaby the twin to this fish. Jared Johnson seen it as, Did PRO fishing sea to I think. They said that this fish was that big two hours later on the cleaning station counter. It weighed in at that time right close to 6 lbs.

I thnk there are many more fish in that catagory up there, Just being in the right place at the right time Like Brian was.

Vance Staplin
06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Wow.. I'm surprised a fish that big came in on a size 6 hook without straightening it. That must have been an adrenaline rush to bring in that one. Wonder what leader length he was using too.

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for all of the nice words. The Buckboard Derby has always been a great time, but it is even better when lady luck comes your way.

I have not fished the Gorge much, I think the number is only 5 times since 2002 but I have always done very well with the small size 1 Sockeye Slammer there. I think the small spoon is new to the fish.

The Sockeye Slammer #1 has an incredibly aggressive action and unfortunately I cannot put a larger hook on it without the added weight affecting/killing that action.

To answer the question on the size 6 hook is that you have to take a pair of needle nose pliers and open the hook up by bending it out and up making it wider and shorter. I have yet to have a fish straighten the hook after doing this process but I'm sure it could happen.

As far as leader length I use 14 to 18 inches with our Dodgers to allow the action of the spoon work on its own. The Dodger just gives it a little kick at those lengths.

Good luck Fishing!!

Vance

Kokaholic
06-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks Vance. Welcome aboard.

HiTechKoke
06-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Tks Vance for the tip on the hook and leader length. Stop by more often to keep us updated on your fishing adventures.

One more question - What lb leader and type do you use with your sockeye slammers and what knot do you tie to the lure?

Also on the split shot on the leader which I like the idea I assume you have to be pretty careful not to crimp too tight to damage the line?

Kevin

Propnut69
06-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Welcome aboard Vance,glad to see you here.

SilverBullets
06-20-2009, 05:01 PM
thumbsupWelcome to KFF Vance!thumbsup

Vance Staplin
06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Tks Vance for the tip on the hook and leader length. Stop by more often to keep us updated on your fishing adventures.

One more question - What lb leader and type do you use with your sockeye slammers and what knot do you tie to the lure?

Also on the split shot on the leader which I like the idea I assume you have to be pretty careful not to crimp too tight to damage the line?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Did I mention the split shot on this forum?? I'm certain that there are some guys scratching their heads on this one so I will elaborate.

I discovered this process while fishing with a friend that fishes way faster than I do. We couldn't believe how the split shot created a catapult effect on the Hoochies and spoons we were using. I have several guides using this process and they have had terrific results.

I designed, basically by hand "Vance's" Dodgers to have the utmost action at speeds from 1.1 to 1.5 M.P.H. while guiding for Kokanee at Stampede Lake in Northern California back in the late 90's. When designing blades it is basically a weight vs length and bend issue. It is basically impossible to have an outrageous action on a small dodger at 1.1 and not have it roll at say 1.7/1.8 on up. Some of our painted dodgers (because of the added weight of the paint) will troll at 1.6 to 1.7 without any changes.

Although I virtually never troll for Kokanee at speeds higher than 1.5 I found a way for our dodgers to not only troll at high speeds but be more aggressive than anything I have ever seen (even above 2.0 m.p.h.) by adding a small split shot on the leader about 1 inch below the snap on the dodger. With this method you get the added action without any noticeable weight or drag on your rod. It doesn't take much of a split shot at all for speeds of 1.7 and 1.8. But increase the size to reach speeds of 2.0.

The smaller the split shot the better.

I have not noticed any problem with the split shot causing enough line damage to break with pinching the shot into place.

When I get some time I will formulate and post what size shot to use at different speeds.

Line weight?

I rarely bring a fish in myself because I usually have my young children or guests in my boat, I pass the rods off and enjoy watching them fight the fish. The children definitely make a lot of mistakes such as getting the line into the downrigger cables etc, because of this I use 10lb line on the rods and in California I run 8lb leader.

With our custom 7' and 7'6" rods I have found no need for line above 10 pounds, but for Flaming Gorge I increased the leader weight to 10lb test. I tried McCoy line for this trip and found it to be awesome.

Vance

Petty4life
06-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard Vance and congrads on that fish. WOW. hope we can get Brian to register on here so we can pat him on the back to.thumbsupworthy12worthy12worthy12