PDA

View Full Version : Would a 2001 Mercury Four Stroke 15 HP

MartyM
06-13-2009, 12:07 AM
make a good kicker motor for my boat. I have a 1998 Starcraft Fisherman about 19.5 feet long, deep V. It has a 2004 Johnson 90 HP stroke. The Mercury is an extra long shaft and should mount nicely. Haven't seen it yet, but know the person who has it. Will it troll slowly enough, is it reliable, too heavy for the boat, etc. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.

Bduck
06-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I have a Merc 9.9 on my 20ft Bayliner. I think my works perfect. Sometimes having the larger HP rating helps out when you need a little extra boost for combating some windy conditions. Bigger & heavier boats need a little more muscle. Having control on the water will make it easier for you to manage your fishing needs. It will troll slow enough. As for its size, I think it would mount up OK. I believe the only difference in size between a 9.9 & 15hp is in the power head itself. The extra long shaft is a plus. Gas economy is great. I'm always seeing smaller kickers on larger boats. Wandering half the time if their not using the main motor for assist but in windy conditions. Here is a pic of what mine looks like but with an IO. This is just my opinion.

AFDan52
06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
I totally agree with BDuck.

MartyM
06-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I was thinking along the same line, but just thought I'd get a better opinion. Would you hook it up to the main so that it could be steered from up front? Since it's a 2001, would you do an impellar change? It's been used every year from what I gather.
Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Bduck
06-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I would definately change the impeller. Even if it does look good, its a piece of mind that preventative maintenance has been accomplished. I use a Troll Daddy. It allows me to steer from anywhere in the boat. I'm a loner for most of my fishing trips, so I don't need to fight the the boat steering up front and a fish at the same time. It comes with a pocket size 2 button remote control and a hard wire control box in case the other craps out. Installed is a Troll Master Pro II for throttle control. I can tweek in my trolling speed which is not that easy with the kicker handle. A good little feature to have. These features don't come without a price. Cabelas sells the Toll Daddy @ over $600.00 and the Troll Master is around $200. Its all on how you want to budget yourself. Personal preference is your job now but there other setups you can explore and easier on the pocket book.

MartyM
06-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm off and running now. I'll get to take a first hand look at it June 21st when the owner will be back in town. If we can agree on the price, I'll get the motor and go from there. Sounds like you have a nice setup, especially considering you do a lot of fishing alone. It's amazing what they have done with technology. That would definitely be the way to go. Again, I appreciate you taking your time to help me out.