PDA

View Full Version : Cannon Downrigger low profile mount problem

Stanson
06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
I would like to caution all of you cannon donwrigger users. Beware of the Lexan plastic low profile 360 Degree swivel mounting your cannon DR attach to
My son bought two of these Downriggers that came with the low profile swivels and they were only a year old

see pic below!! it can fail ours did, my son was attaching his line release to the DR cable he had is hand on the boom when it broke into two pieces and the DR. was on its way to the water my son was able to hold on to the DR. now if he had been away from it it would be at the bottom on the lake no question about it with his pole attached.

Cannon makes two types of Swivel Bases one is the Lexan composit material and the other is stainless Steel. I would recommend the stainless steel look at the picture and you tell me which one you would use on your 500 dollar Plus DR. and your 200 dollar fishing pole in the holder all would end up in the drink without any warning it just breaks, if you are not next to it there is no way you could reach fast enough to get to it.

there is one thing you may want to do is, put a lanyard on the DR. and anckor it to your boat better safe then sorry guys. This can happen it did to us so Beware of the cannon lexan materials cannon will replace them if they break, but I dont know if they would replace the DR if you lose it to the bottom of the lake.. I dont think so...

Now I called Cannon in kanoka Mn. They told me to send the broken part back to them, we are doing that along with one of the Downriggers that sounds of laboring like the motor is is getting hot or something is dragging it down and is using a lot of current it as done this from the get go and cannon replaced the mother board on the unit but it did not solve the laboring problem. I will let you know how that turns out. The units are only 8 months old not a good sign. All of you cannon owners speek out if you dont like something about your Cannon electric 5 or 10. thats the only way cannon will get the word. and maybe they will address some of your complaints

tongue2worthy12

Bduck
06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Good save. You were on your way to one screwed day. Those were the mounts that was attached to my boat when I bought it. They met the trash can 4yrs ago. They did not fit Scotty DRs. Now I have Walkers.

wahoohunter
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Kokonuts
06-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Ive had so much trouble with my Cannon Mag 10 that I wont put it back on my boat. $5oo new & $150 in repair bills. Then it broke again the first time I used it.

I sent an email to them asking for a refund, no ans. yet.

Buyer Beware!!

P.S. Anyone want a Cannon Mag. 10 real cheap?

Stanson
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Update fisherman's Warehouse replaced the broken lexan 360 Degree swivel base at no charge and is working on the sick Dr replacing the mother board. at no charge.

BROWNBAGGER
06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm guessing there is only three words you need to know, "don't buy cannon". I have one, and two scotty's......anyone want to buy a cannon. Stanson, quick question....don you let these mounts sit in the sun? uv rays are a BI*CH...

Stanson
07-14-2009, 11:21 PM
No we dont.
but I did notice that in the break there were a lot of air pockets and that will weaken it must have been bad mix when they poured into the molds its like mixing a b so if air gets into the mix it can cause it to from voids and I think thats why it broke had nothing to do UV and they advertise that they are uv resent so much for that right.
SK

FishinFools
07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Fisherman's Warehouse replaced my mounts 3yrs ago, and I haven't had a problem since. I think there may have been a bad batch of mounts. I've had Canon Mag 10's on my last 2 boats and never had a minutes trouble. You went to the right place, they'll fix you up......thumbsup

Stanson
07-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Fishermans warehouse replace it no problem
now I still would put some kind of safaty cable so if that DR is hanging over the water and you hit the bottom that can cause a lot of stress on the swivel and it may breck and if you are not right next to it it will be in the water and at the bottom of the lake, you may never see it again so be safe
if you are buying a new cannon DR or even a scotty with that swivel mount
buy the stainless steel cannon makes one check it out at there Wed site
the lexan material is a plastic Hard Plastic I noticed air voids in the area of the plastic I think thats were the problem started
material, that is UV resistent so they say!!!

Sucker
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Wow, that really broke. Usually Lexan (polycarbonate) is really very strong and UV resistant. Lexan's only real weakness is that some solvents will make it shatter. Never clean with any kind of solvent other than soap and water.

SuperD
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
....... now I still would put some kind of safaty cable so if that DR is hanging over the water and you hit the bottom that can cause a lot of stress on the swivel and it may breck and if you are not right next to it it will be in the water and at the bottom of the lake, you may never see it again so be safe

I think the safety cable could be a very UNSAFE move as the safety cable won't have a clutch and a boat could easily be swamped. Better to lose a DR than your boat and possibly a life.

Full_Monte
09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I think the safety cable could be a very UNSAFE move as the safety cable won't have a clutch and a boat could easily be swamped. Better to lose a DR than your boat and possibly a life.

I have safety lines on my downriggers and my clutches are adjusted so that they pay out line when I hit a submerged obstacle. I don't see how a safety lanyard makes it more dangerous. My Scotty's are warranted for life as long as the motor isn't submerged. The lanyard is my way of making sure it doesn't fall overboard if the base breaks.

SuperD
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
It would just be my opinion that once the DR is hanging in the water and twisting, you have no control of the clutch or ability to stop it from binding.

sfuller
09-23-2013, 09:48 PM
I also have come up with 2 cracked rotating Cannon bases. I purchased 2 Mag 10's in July of this year. One at Wholesale Sports in Spokane that is now out of business & 1 at the White Elephant also in Spokane. Both these bases now have multiple cracks on them. I have approached mgmt. at the White Elephant & am waiting for their reply as to fixing my problem. They have addressed the Cannon rep. as to what they will. Given they have a 1 year warranty I would like to think this should not be a battle.

S-

autorick
09-24-2013, 12:05 AM
I lanyard mine for just in case. I also do not let people use them has handle or lean on them.

dragonfly
09-24-2013, 11:16 AM
as you know this is not an uncommon problem with the newer cannon mounts. I have contacted them on this issue and replacing the 'broken' mounts is a no charge no hassle replacement ( they know they have a problem ) and said you could get the SS ones ( at $225 bucks for the base and swivel, each! ) I asked what would happen if you loose the downrigger. and he basically said you are out of luck unless you some how drag it up from the bottom. I said what if that is impossible, he said if I had the recipe , the broken half of the mount and a picture of it mounted on the boat ( which I have ) they would conceder it on a case by case basics. I have the digi troll 10s and have a tether on the mast neck to my rails just in case. at $1,200 bucks a piece I am not taking any chances! also unlike my scottys I no longer leave the cannons mounted when trailering the boat. ( I run both, digi trolls on the rear and 2106s forward for different reasons ). dfly

BonkinKokes
09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I have the Cannon swivel bases as well. I have used them for 4 years now with no problems. Perhaps as mentioned above just a bad batch. Good to hear Fisherman's took care of you.

Orca
09-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I also fell victim to Cannon low profile swivel bases. They worked fine and then broke without warning. I spent time looking for the alternatives and found an awesome bases. I purchased them from fishermansheadquarters.com Its made by Troll-Master specifically for Cannon mounting pattern.
Very nice product. Very rigid, sturdy and well designed. Easy to install and use. I am very happy with these bases.
http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/downrigger-bases.htm