PDA

View Full Version : Cannon HS DR's

SuperD
06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I've been a Cannon guy since I got into using downriggers. I now have a couple of the HS models and hate them. For the life of me I can't seem to get them to come up in depth without coming all the way to the top. I try the switch flip thing and all I get is rocket down or rocket up. I'm so irritated that I've gone to using the clutch and palming the spool to bring my weight up 10'. 1 out of 10 times I might get it to function the way everyone tells me it is supposed to work. Assuming I'm 1/2 retarded, they shouldn't be that difficult to operate. My next step is to replace the switches to a 3 position switch that is either up, down or off. I'll lose the auto stop but at least I can control where my line and weight are while I'm fishing. P.O'd enough to think Scotty's next time.

Code4
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I had two Cannon HS electrics on my boat. In two years both circuit boards went out and cost me $150 + to fix with other boards due to Cannon having discontinued the one for the unit so the authorized repair guy had to put in manual toggle switches to replace the push buttons on the face. They never worked right anyway so that was no big deal but since both boards have gone bad again. I am now using one manual Cannon that a buddy lent me and just received my new Scotty 1114. One trip out and I can already see I will love it. Warrantied for life! Had those issues I had been with a Scotty it wouldn't have cost me a dime. Between Cannon and Lowrance it's hard to enjoy and stress free day on the water! Buy a Scotty, you won't regret it.

Propnut69
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
It sounds like the auto -stop isolator is not in the right position.???I have a pair of Cannon hs mags 5's and they stop as soon as the isolator breaks the surface. I have read that if the cable is not touching ,the set screw on the bottom of the spool,it will cause the auto-stop to fail.

SuperD
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Propnut, I think you've read my biotch incorrectly. If I'm at 50' depth and want to come up to 40', I jiggle the switch and the weight comes all the way to the surface and stops with 50' of line wrapped around the weight. Apparently I'm not coordinated enough to get the proper jiggle of the switch to make it come up and stop where I want without going into full retrieve mode.

Bduck
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a pair of Walker Tournament Series electrics with auto stop. Warranted for a 'lifetime of fishing' is there slogan. I love them. Very easy operation with a 3 position switch. Very simple construction without the circuit boards. I have a pair of Scotty manuals that I have had for years with no problems.

Propnut69
06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Propnut, I think you've read my biotch incorrectly. If I'm at 50' depth and want to come up to 40', I jiggle the switch and the weight comes all the way to the surface and stops with 50' of line wrapped around the weight. Apparently I'm not coordinated enough to get the proper jiggle of the switch to make it come up and stop where I want without going into full retrieve mode.

Yes Sir, I didn't comprehend what you was saying,but I do now. thumbsup

Kokonuts
06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I only wish I had read more about the Cannons before buying one!! Lets see $500 new & $150 to repair after 1 month then the connectors break again on the first time I tried them BEFORE going out. crymeariver

I am now going to write them a letter & send back all the broken parts so they can store them in the proper place!

thumbsup....Kokonuts

TBtoad
06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I have the same cannons and had a hard time getting them to stop on the way up. I learned with mine when they start up and you get to the depth that you want to stop, you have to hold the switch down until it changes direction and then release the switch. It took me several times to get the hang of it. These cannons are not very sofisticated compared to the Penns and the Scotty's. I have two Penn electric and their is no comparison with things you can do with them and you can't do with the Cannons. I would loved to have bought two more Penns but couldn't find them anywhere. The only things you can do with the cannons is go up and down fast.

TBtoad

Propnut69
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
These cannons are not very sofisticated compared to the Penns and the Scotty's. I have two Penn electric and their is no comparison with things you can do with them and you can't do with the Cannons.

TBtoad
Out of pure curiosity,what could you do with the Penn's that you cant do with the Cannon's??

Polar Bear
06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
make sure that your boat is bonded (grounded) if not it will not work

binthere50
06-12-2009, 04:59 AM
I've got a pair of Scotty Elect's on my Radon Craft Ocean boat that I have use since 1997, never a problem except corroded connector plugs, which I replace every year anyway(saltwater). I put 2 Scotty's on my new Northriver
and they have been problem free...Great product, great service, and spare parts are easy to get and change out....not trying to plug Scotty, but they
make a great product....my 2 cents.......Mike

TBtoad
06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Penn downriggers:
You can but as many stops on the penns as you want. As long as they are at least 10 ft apart. You can remove or take off any stops at the push of a button. You can take off all stops by shuting it off It really works well if you are stacking.
They power up and down automatically by hitting the switch. I have had them since 2003 and have only one problem with them. They had a tendancey to leak a little oil. I call their repair shop and they sent me a shipping tag for me to send them in and they repaired them at no charge to me and have not had a leak since.

TBtoad

fish-on-bend
06-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Interesting..........I've had a Cannon mag5hs and absolutely love it. Also have an older Cannon mini-mag electric on the other side. Its a minor technique change to hold the switch down for a second to stop upward motion. I koke and mack fish all day with frequent depth changes. I've had about 100 days on the water with it without an issue. I also have a couple friends that bought them and love them.

Kokanee Wizard
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I've got Cannon Mag20HS's four of them. I just hold the switch down for about a second and it stops almost right where I want it. It is pretty fast

The only problem I've had is when we showered one. The first mate used the offshore bracket step then left it down. Not realizing I took off and a few seconds later he say's 'I'm getting wet' we look back and the rooster tail was coming up over the back of the boat and showering the #4 downriggers. The downrigger worked that day and for several weeks after. Later it started to act up. Found a corroded circuit board. Seems they could make them a little more water resistant.

BROWNBAGGER
06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
It's simplicity that is the major difference, between cannon and other brands. Cannon puts all those switches and circuits. I have an older mini mag too, I have had no problems with it "YET". cannon told me they could put a short stop system on it and I past on it (thank goodness). Scotty's can do what was explaned earlier as with the penn. I just mounted two, sweet !!!!!!!!!!