PDA

View Full Version : What prop for a Yamaha 225? !

binthere50
06-09-2009, 02:09 AM
I spend hours reading these posts...too much good info here!
OK I have an important question..21 ft Seahawk(Northriver) New...
Yamaha225....My question is if anyone here might be able to advise me
on what prop to use. I will be fishing freshwater only and 90% of the time
will be at 6000ft elevation...Eastern Sierras, the Gorge, Eagle Lake, and maybe
some local stuff here in Calif...Berryessa..etc, but mostly higher elevations.
Is there any thing to watch out for in a prop...pitch, stainless vs alum.
If anyone is running a 6 cyl 200hp or larger Yamaha and knows the deal on the prop. I would be eternally gratefull for any advice on that.....Heading to the Gorge with new boat June 22nd.....The boat is being rigged as I type this!
Many thanks in advance!!.....Mike

Full_Monte
06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
You may get some advice from a guy with the same boat and motor that you have....maybe not. You are smart to be considering this question. I had some issues with high altitude performance myself and poured over the prop manufacturers sites looking for help. I ended up buying an aluminum prop one pitch step below the one that came with the engine. I will be running this prop at 7500 ft this month for the first time. It would be great to be able to rent a prop or two for testing, but I didn't find any for rent. Stainless props are nice, but why spend all the big bucks on something you aren't sure will work? There are a couple of things I learned in this process that may help. I found that using higher octane gas helped. Also, for low-speed no-stall performance with the old prop, I found that kicking the motor up until the prop was barely in the water helped.

Trophy Taker
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Binthere50,

I have a 21' weldcraft with a Yamaha 225 V6HPDI. Mine currently has 14.25x17RH 3 Blade stainless Rapture prop on in it. I am looking at changing it out with the Yamaha H4 series. Mercury has an awesome prop-selector site that works for nearly all engine manufactures. Here is the link:

http://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/propSelector/home.do

If at all possible it's really good if you can test or rent a few until you find one that you like. It sucks to spend the $$ on something you can't stand, I went through that a few years ago on a different boat.

binthere50
06-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks alot guys for the great info.....great ideas, especially about alum vs
stainless...I'll go with Alum for starters now, test it out, if I like it then possibly
go to a stainless in the same pitch and config., then keep the alum for a spare.
THANKS!...........Mike I'll post my experience with the prop after I test it

Code4
06-24-2009, 06:26 PM
binther50,
If you are headed to the Gorge in June you can check with Greg, mechanic at Buckboard Marina. I know it's time away from fishing but he will let you put different "loaner" props on your boat until you find one that works the best at this elevation. I know many a boater that has had prop questions that he has done this for. Good luck.