PDA

View Full Version : New Melones, 6/8

Steve079
06-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Went out solo today, I installed a new fish finder and was anxious to try it out. What a difference more wattage, and pixels make! Must have been a bit preoccupied, got my down rigger cable snarled around the spool, it kinked, I wasn't concerned, ( I should of been), and when I let it down, it snapped, and sunk to the bottom, weight, line, and release-er . First pass, and I'm down to one rod, no extra release's, or weights. I felt naked and insignificant fishing with just one rod in that big lake, but not to worry.
The limit was a bit harder to work for, but it still came. Fish are really getting chunky, and put up quite the battle, and aerial display. Great fun, and you know how good they taste.

RMT pinksplatterdodger, with matching spinner
Slingblade, nickel/green, Uncle Larry's Mad Irish spinner
shrimp, anise
1.3 to 1.5
45-55
Pretty busy for a Monday, fish seemed scattered from the weekend. Stayed away from the fleet fished north of Rose Island, to Shipwreck, and then the north side of the dam.

Full_Monte
06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
See the general discussion for a couple more comments on kinked downrigger cables. Seems to be a rash of them.

HiTechKoke
06-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Tks for the report. You just reminded me I need to redo my cable as it got a small kink in it this last weekend and I've seen those kinks give away with no warning before. Getting a new fishfinder is always a lot of of fun. What unit did you put in?

Kevin

Steve079
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I bought a Lowrance X510c. They are being discontinued, and were being sold cheap. Not quite as much wattage as I would of liked, but, for the lakes I fish in my old heap, it will work great. I have a separate GPS for marking fish, but find it easier to use floating markers. We wouldn't need any of those, if the fish would just stay put, and quit swimming around so much.
It's amazing to me, (being new to Koke fishing), how much they move around, in such a short time frame.