PDA

View Full Version : Odell 5/30 - 6/5

John Ward
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
We fished Odell at both West & East ends. East end a little better. Got about 15 to 20 kokes per rod most days. Jigging right on the bottom at about 90 ft. Smaller red jigs worked best w garlic corn & gulp pink maggots. Light bite with some lost on the way up or at the boat. Trolling was also good at 20 to 40 ft depending on time of day. Fish were mostly 11 to 13" and nice shape (fat).
Only negative was BIG thunder & lightning storms every afternoon. Several times we had to get right off the lake; one day lightning hit 2 trees with one tree in flames. And lightning hit the lake several times. Between storms nice calm with overcast. Will be back when weather gets stable.

Fallriverguy
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi John,
Good to see you on the board. Thanks for the report.

Troutski
06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Something about being in a boat on the water during a lightning storm holding a graphite stick in your hand. I use to be more adventurous in my youth and stick it out as long as possible, seems like the bite turns on...must be the fish know no one would be on the water during a storm with lightning.
On another note, I noticed your name, I used to work with a John Ward in a past life...where are you from? Hey stranger things have happened...

Chuck

John Ward
06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Chuck,
I've lived in Coos Bay for more than 30 yrs., working in court probation field.
Long drive from the coast but I make it to Odell at least twice a yr & to a few other lakes (Wickiup, Greenpeter and sometimes Wallowa). I also fish Whiskeytown, Berryessa & New Melones in CA. When I'm not fishing the coast for salmon, steelhead & ocean species.