PDA

View Full Version : DR cable fatigue / failure

jzell
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Left one of my new pancakes on the bottom this weekend. crymeariver Christy was retreaving the weight up and just before the autostop bead got to the stop....sploosh. The cable failed and broke. My guess is that in the last couple feet of cable before the ball clip there was a kink and fatigue that I had overlooked over time.

So it's back to Cabela's for a cake or two. Also down to Olie Damons for the clip parts.

Think it might be a good idea to cut off the last 4 to 6 feet of cable and redo the clips.

Lesson learned....inspect your cables frequently or you might end up crying.

jz

ps...Christy felt bad and offered to buy... but I wouldn't do that to my bestest fishin' partner....wasn't her fault anyway.

twisted lines
06-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry for your Loss :eek: I may just rub my fingers on the old cables and see how they feel laugh hyst

Full_Monte
06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I had a kink of unknown origin on one of my cables close to the end. When I ran it up against the bumper in the driveway, the line failed. It could have happened on the lake. It was a definite kink in the line, but it didn't look weakened.

HiTechKoke
06-09-2009, 12:25 AM
If you haven't ordered weights you might consider getting them from Kokaneemart, also a site sponsor. I've been a frequent customer of weights lately... DOH! I really like these pancake as they have a nice aluminum fin you can apply all your favorite tape and colors. I couldn't get them to come up on his site but am guessing that is temporary.

Kevin

redmanjr1
06-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Sorry about your loss Jzell. I had a similar issue with finding a kink but mine was new out of the box. While I was getting everything mounted I noticed a kink about 2 feet into the cable. Luckily I had ordered extra clips/swedges to redo everything if needed on the boat during a trip. I thought for half a second that it might be okay for a while but I came to my senses after further inspection. Had a broke wire fiber in the kink. That was definately an accident waiting to happen and glad I noticed it before it was too late. I guess the moral of the story is a cable can be kinked at anytime and probably does'nt take much to do the damage. Probably not a bad idea to check stuff out before and after each trip if you can. I know I'll definately be paying closer attention.

Bob

kingsmules
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Since I started cutting off about 20 to 30 feet of cable at the end of each season I have not had any more failures at the ball. A new roll of cable every couple of years is cheaper than than a new ball.

Full_Monte
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Since I started cutting off about 20 to 30 feet of cable at the end of each season I have not had any more failures at the ball. A new roll of cable every couple of years is cheaper than than a new ball.

Where do you buy your cable?

jzell
06-09-2009, 11:13 AM
"Luckily I had ordered extra clips/swedges to redo everything if needed on the boat during a trip."

"Since I started cutting off about 20 to 30 feet of cable at the end of each season I have not had any more failures at the ball. A new roll of cable every couple of years is cheaper than than a new ball."

Two great ideas!

jz

ps.....Thanks for the "Sorry for your loss"....kinda sounds like I lost a loved one.;)

kingsmules
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Full Monte

When ever Im in the market for wire I watch the Ebay auctions. Got a great deal on 2 400 ft rolls this winter. Sometimes they have bulk spools 600 to 1000 ft. I run shark weights most of the time so Im pretty carefull.

DLM
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Left one of my new pancakes on the bottom this weekend. crymeariver Christy was retreaving the weight up and just before the autostop bead got to the stop....sploosh. The cable failed and broke. My guess is that in the last couple feet of cable before the ball clip there was a kink and fatigue that I had overlooked over time.

So it's back to Cabela's for a cake or two. Also down to Olie Damons for the clip parts.

Think it might be a good idea to cut off the last 4 to 6 feet of cable and redo the clips.

Lesson learned....inspect your cables frequently or you might end up crying.

jz

First you lost (gave away) your balls now your pancakeviolin

Bought 8lbs coated pancake at fishermans marine last week for $32.00

Kokaneemart
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
As mentioned by HiTechKoke (a great fisherman and customer! thumbsup )

I carry a local handmade pancake weight on my website...here's a link...

http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Categories?category=More+Good+Stuff%3ADownrigger+W eight

They are very well made weights that are 9 lb's. I have carried Shark weights and I like these (almost) as much and they are more reasonable if you are losing them....;)

Troutski
06-10-2009, 07:00 AM
I have a 5 gal. bucket of used lead from a glass shop (about 50 lbs) if you are into making your own weights...the lead is free and I will even throw in the bucket. Let me know, I will PM you directions to my location.

Chuck

jzell
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Gonna check out what FM may have in stock.

In conclusion, check out your cables and take back up parts.

jz

fish-on-bend
06-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey Jzell, I got some extra weights that I just "happen" to have laying around that I can sell you at a "fair" price. nananana

jzell
06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Well Joe I was wondering when you'd surface.

Thanks for the offer,

jz