PDA

View Full Version : Transducer mounting and position

AFDan52
06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Does the position of the Transducer really make that much differance? I 'm asking because I think I might have mine too low and I think I remember that it should be mounted about 1/8th of an inch below the bottom of the boat. I want to make sure that it is mounted correctly, would it cause a weird reading on my screen.

SilverBullets
06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Your right, the middle of the transducer should be close to even or an 1/8" below the bottom of the hull. Do you experiance any problems when running at high speeds? If it functions well at low speeds, but begins to skip or miss the bottom at high speeds, the transducer might require adjustment. The deeper the transducer is in the water, the more likely that a rooster tail of spray will be generated at high speeds. Locating it in an area free of turbulent water is very important also.

Bduck
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Here is what was in my Lowrance manuel. Though the manuel shows good locations to mount a transducer, sometimes its not as easy to pick the right location depending on the boat.

redmanjr1
06-08-2009, 03:32 AM
I posted the below question on another thread before I saw this thread so I thought it would be better if I moved it. Bducks documents answered my questions but I was wondering, is anyone doing it differently and if so, why? I do get noise (lose the bottom) while moving at full throttle better than half the time. Mine is mounted pretty close to what Bduck posted except my transducer isn't exactly horizontal with the bottom of the boat. Mine is slightly angled downward. Maybe just that little bit could make a difference? Also, mine is a pontoon boat, if that matters at all.

Thanks,
Bob

One thing I'm not sure of is transducer alignment (in two ways). First, how deep below the water line can it be mounted and still be effective? I'm on a pontoon boat and my mounting options are slim (although I may be able to build a bracket that could accommodate relocation if absolutely necessary). Second, what is the best angle for the transducer? Horizontal with the water line or angled toward the bottom below the aft of the boat (or somewhere between)?

Bduck
06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Here is some more manuel procedures for angling the transducer correctly.

Trophy Taker
06-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Redmanjr1,

Lowrance/Eagle brands tend to be a lot more sensitive to mounting angle than Humminbird. It's critical to have it mounted low enough in the water that it doesnt cavitate since sonar won't penetrate air. Notbart had a pontoon and the factory bracket on the toon made it a real challenge, we had to fabricate another plate in order to get the transducer low enough.