PDA

View Full Version : Gulp maggots and Pautzke Fire Corn

fish-on-bend
06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I started using Pautzke Fire Corn last year and really love it. This year I started using the Gulk maggots and am having limited success. I would like you guy's reports on both products. I no longer bring the old white shoepeg corn anymore. I always ended up throwing more than 1/2 the can away at the end of the summer. I tried freezing it in portion size tubs and that didn't work either.

SilverBullets
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I keep both the Gulp Maggots and Pautzke Fire Corn on the boat at all times more for emergency situations in case I ever forget to bring the batches of scented corn I make up. I've carried them on the boat for a few years now, but have yet to try them out...usually have pretty good success with the homemade stuff. Sorry I can't be more help.
As far as freezing the Shoepeg, try draining off all the liquid then spreading it out on paper towels to dry, then freezing. Do a slow thaw...comes out nice and firm after being frozen all winter long.thumbsup I then add the scent a few days before going out, and a sprinkle of Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Magic. I'm planning on trying out a couple new scents this season...one is tuna fish oil, the other is molasses. Vanilla Extract is a good one to try out also.

Troutski
06-06-2009, 02:39 AM
I treat my shoe peg corn with a few different scents to include sea salt, for some reason the salt seems to attract the fish and helps keep the corn firmer, even after freezing. I also dry my corn before freezing, when I add color to my corn I use common house hold food coloring. I've never used the prepackaged corn for Koke fishing so I won't be much help. Good luck and tight lines.

Chuck

bobco
06-06-2009, 11:20 AM
had good luck with the maggots, i like the PINK ones......

Neptune
06-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I use the Fire Corn, and when Corn is working(haven't found many times when it works better than maggots) it works better than shoe peg and way less hassle.

I also use Mike's Kokanee Lotion even with bare hooks sometimes and it works!

SuperD
06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Little chunks of pink, purple or green sponge has worked wonderfully for us at the Gorge. Tough and never comes off the hook, holds plenty of scent.

Fallriverguy
06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I really like the maggots, but have seen one day on my boat that scented corn out fish the maggots.

MMDON
07-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Little chunks of pink, purple or green sponge has worked wonderfully for us at the Gorge. Tough and never comes off the hook, holds plenty of scent.

I'm glad to hear our little trick still works! I've used sponge where corn is not allowed for years. ;)

Kokanee Killer
07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
used gulp maggots on my trolled beads for kokes last month with success,, also used them in combination with corn still fishing at night too with success,, only thing i could not get past the trout though with the gulp and bluegills too,probably20 trout and bluegill to 1 koke with this set up,, but thats the problem i have with the trout in this particular koke lake here in ct,, just tooo too many trout,, but atleast its actionthumbsup

HiTechKoke
07-04-2009, 12:07 AM
For those with half a can of shopeg corn left here's the solution to get rid of it...

EAT IT! tongue2

It's actually one of the few old school things I don't mind eating from a can along with baked beans. We used Gulp Maggots in the Gorge last year and they worked quite successfully. The Kokanee don't seem to trust them in California too much from my testing but I am still testing. The latest ones from Berkeley come in a liquid which I like as they won't dry out as much. I'll be testing them tomorrow along with all the corn flavors too. :-)

Kevin

dunnigan jim
07-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I also tryed the maggots and corn at NEW MOLONES last week and found that the dyed corn got 3to 1 with the same set ups on the same side of boat. I also have tryed the sponge set up for sturgen fishing with soaked scents. Mike's kokanee lotion is a great product too. Tupperware sells small cheap contaners with screw on lids that keeps the corn fresher when you put it in the ref. till next trip.

Mojo
07-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Gulp and Powerbait maggots work well. I doctor up my own shoepeg, and it wirks better than the plain, but we always switch around between the moggots, my corn, and the straight white stuff till we figure out what is hot that day. Sometimes different color maggots work better than others as well.