PDA

View Full Version : Wallowa Lake revisited

pimpler
06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
The lake is continuing to stratify and with the snow melt entering the lake the level has risen almost four feet in the last three weeks. Fish are scattered and seem to be at all levels, but many are still catching fish with a large percentage being over 16 inches. One fish caught over the weekend was 26 inches and weighed in at 6.36 pounds which is 6 ounces shy of the state record. I caught six under 12 inches yesterday which was the first time this season that I've not caught a fish over 16 inches. So far this season I'm up to 78 fish over 16 inches with the largest still at 23 1/2 and just over five pounds.

Kokanee Slow
06-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Pretty impressive numbers on the fishing. Are those all from Wallowa Lk?

pimpler
06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Started fishing through the ice the second week in February and ended jigging when the ice got too soft about March 20. By then I had caught 44 fish in excess of 16 inches. Began trolling after ice break up and personal commitments on about April 27. Usually try to get up to the lake about twice a week. Have only been skunked (no fish over 16") once since then. Still looking for the big one. I'm sure that the state record is somewhere in the lake but haven't yet connected with anything over the 5 pounder. Plan on fishing at least twice a week weather permitting until spawn out. Will keep everyone informed on how things are going.

John Ward
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
When do the Wallowa kokes go to the spawning mode? We were thinking of trying Wallowa about 20th of June. Is that too late?

pimpler
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
It will probably be mid-August before the spawning run gets started. Fished the head of the lake this morning and only caught one 16 incher. Have had best luck at the foot of the lake on the west side and at Conley Bar which is at about highway mile post 3 on the east side. Fish are still scattered and at depths from 20 to 80 feet with some even deeper.

John Ward
06-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Pimpler - Thanks for the info. Does anybody jig for them there or is just trolling?