PDA

View Full Version : Remote trolling system

binthere50
06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Guys...in the process of rigging a new boat (21ft Seahawk)
My question is what to use as a remote pilot for trolling. I'll be using a Yamaha
T-8 4strk for trolling.
I have read about the TR-1, and also about the Troll Master Pro 3 used in conjunction with the Panther remote steering unit. So I guess I'm asking
what the pros and cons of each would be?....besides price, I don't know
why to go with one over the other.....I'll probably use it mainly for trout, koke's,
etc..fresh water only at this point, and I like simplicity. Any help from
the old pros on here would be very much appreciated!......Thanks!...Mike

DragginBalls
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
My brother has the Troll master in conjunction with the panther system. We love the heck out of it. I have heard of the TR-1 having some problems but have not seen one in action so can not give a true opinion about them.

binthere50
06-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks Draggin, or is that goat sac?....great name.
I think I'm leaning towards what your bro has as well.
I hope to get some more advice..I'm sure either system will work well,
I just want easy and simple, less problems, less issues works for me.

twisted lines
06-04-2009, 07:54 AM
TR-1 , 7+ years, no others no way! if the waves hit you from the side you will probably have to assist or take control, is that an issue or is that a given?

kingsmules
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Ive had a couple of TR-1 systems on different boats and they work great. The wireless on the TR1 will not give you the precise RPM control but the hand held controller will give you what you need. With a 21 ft NR you might think about putting a wireless electric motor on the front. It will give you more control in the wind at slow trolling speeds.

Big Al
06-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I have had both,remote troll and the rod between my main and kicker. I like the rod better. I have better control with the rod.

3RivrFishr
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
My brother has the Troll master in conjunction with the panther system. We love the heck out of it. I have heard of the TR-1 having some problems but have not seen one in action so can not give a true opinion about them.

...So does the new TrollMaster III with the steering control plug right into the Panther switch or does it have its own relay that wires into the panthers' motor?

Ironhead
06-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I have run the TR-1 for over 5 years now. The only problem I have had is the remote went out. Called Garmin and they sent me a new one for $95. I had it in 2 days. I did not like the wireless remote, sensitivity was way to slow. This unit will drive in any wind where the others will take manual driving to keep your course.

I would not have a boat without a true auto-pilot.

Ironhead

chigger22
06-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I also have a TR-1 and do like the unit it frees me up to stay in the back of the boat. I fish solo most of the time which really helps me (if and when I have a fish on) plus with the low idle control is helpful. Course I have not figured all the bells and whistles with the unit, my unit is a little noise with the hydraulic motor running back and fourth on a rough day. Maybe one day Ironhead will take me out on and learn me a few things.

Chigger