PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first trip to the Gorge

Limit Stick
06-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I recently quit my job and have decided that the 3 weeks before I start my new one might be the best chance of me making it to FG for a few years. I'm fortunate that my fishing buddies can also make it but none of us ever been there. We've decided that we should fish out of Buckboard but only because we've heared that Buckboard is known more for focusing on Kokes rather than mixed bag opportunities further south.

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for your spot just general info like... Gear that might be more specfic to FG than I might use in Nor Cal, General areas like "focus north or south of there"...Restaurants or Bars that are must stops. Restrictions or safety info that I should know, etc...

I can't promise to have the quality production of HiTechKoke but I will promise to post my pics and hopefully some video if all works out.

We're going the 14th-18th.... I'd love to meet up with anyone that might be there. Shoot me a PM if you'll be there and I'll buy you a drink.

Thanks,
Jason

SuperD
06-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Jason, when you leave the Buckboard Marina, you can literally start trolling immediately. That whole area from the marina to a couple miles south is all prime water. Use the same tackle and concepts as you are at home but think a tad larger. If you use a small RGT tube here, go to the 2 1/4" there. If you are using 4.5" dodgers here, use the 5.5" there. Everything else, including colors is basically the same.

Kokaholic
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
However, dont be afraid to try the smaller stuff here also. The kokes here, as in your neck of the woods too, are very finicky some days. They get hit hard and like the smaller stuff some days.

But like has been said, same basic concepts here as down there. Pinks and orange in RMT tubes and RMT squids. Hyper plad, and Hyper plad pink dodgers, Bahama mama dodger along with our new funcky frog series and the watermelon series. Rainbow glow squid, along with the double pink and cotton candy RMT series squids will put kokes in your boat. Speeds between 1.6 and 2.0 along with depths of 20- 40 feet. Like said earlier, start trolling right from the wakless speed buoys and you should get after them.

Keep an eye to the sky. watch the clouds and when you see them building to the south and heading North, Might want to start towards the marina unless your in a big boat that can handle them. The wind in Big bend, Lucerne and Swim beach area can be a bugger in a smaller boat. Monitor Channel 16 on your radio for m,arina assistance up there from Bucky or Lucerne.

Good luck to you and tight lines.

Kokaholic

Bduck
06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
You'll find bars in Wyoming but not Utah. crymeariver Beer in Utah is 3.2. crymeariver But the fishing is fantastic on both sides of the border. worthy12 As previously mentioned, I agree with the arsenal. Good Luck & Good Fishing.

Limit Stick
06-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks everyone... Looks like my 8 years old made his baseball allstar team so I'm going to depart tomorrow night rather than the following week. I'll be sure to post this rookies experience... good or bad.

I've read that you can't use corn in the lake... Does any one suggest anything else scent and tip the hooks with?

briang
06-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Jason,
Berkley Power Maggots in pink worked well for us. Tip your hook with a maggot, and use your favorite scent. You should be pleasantly surprised. They also sell them in white and chartreuse, but didn't get around to trying those colors.

Brian

cliffg
06-05-2009, 06:11 PM
On the previous entry, my brother meant Berkley 'Gulp' Maggots.

Good Luck!

MJCook6
06-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I rolled with Limit Stick on this insane adventure...

Here is a couple teasers...ill let Jason tell the story..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/mjcook6/2009%20Fishing/Flaming%20Gorge%20June/FlamingGorgeJune2009077.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/mjcook6/2009%20Fishing/Flaming%20Gorge%20June/FlamingGorgeJune2009088.jpg