PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

Lundman
06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Auto Dealer Repair Option

First off I try to do all auto repairs myself because I just hate giving $$ to Dealer's Service departments for repairs.

Their biggest money maker is the "Check Engine" light. In Utah this will cause you to fail the safety & emissions. The little light doesn't tell you whats wrong but requires whatever is wrong to to fixed.

Here's the usual --> Check Engine light comes on, dealer charges you at least a $100 to "Hook Up the computer" to diagnose the problem, then charges you for the parts (sensor) to repair the problem. Or if they tell you the problem and you buy the sensor and replace it - then the error code isn't cleared from the car's computer and you still get screw because you have to have it cleared.

Cheapest Option -- Harbour Freight - Engine Scanner OBDII/EOBD $89 (they do have a cheaper one for $59) thumbsup

Wow now I can see the error code - go to any parts store and get the replacement and then clear the error code. OR I can just clear the error code to see if it returns.

So go tell the dealer's service department to go climb a tree, suck a lemon, or other options that come to mind. tongue2

I hope this information helps save you some $$ for more fishing stuff.... ;)

SuperD
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
In mine and my wife's case, I just go tighten the gas cap after she's filled up and the light goes out. thumbsup

Fallriverguy
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
I think some of parts stores in Oregon will diagnose check engine codes for free. Like they do for your alternator.

Do you know if the scanner covers all makes and models?

Lundman
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
The scanner says any car from 1996 and newer because that's when the ODB (On-Board Diagnostics) computers were installed in autos....

Kokaholic
06-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks Lundman, Thats a good point, I have a chip installed in my F-350. its an edge evolution and it will diagnose that truck. I am sure that it will work on other vehicles also. I will have to check into that and see.

SilverBullets
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Just like Dave said, the gas cap is the first thing to check. Also, you can go to most auto supply stores and they'll hook up their scanner to read your code for free. It's good to know ahead of time what it reads before going to the stealership.thumbsup

Bduck
06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I have a Super Chip installed on my F250. It can also run diagnostics to see whats wrong. Your right about the dealers. A simple little IDIOT light comes on and you automatically fail either emissions or safety inspection. It can be a sensor thats tied into everything that sends the signal that something is wrong. Change that sensor and find that nothing else is wrong. What a way to get screwed. $$$$ in there pockets. :mad:

Kokaholic
06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
BOHICA:

Bend over here it comes againcrymeariver