PDA

View Full Version : Member and Family BBQ

MackPrince
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
How does this sound...
All members, their families and friends are welcome to attend. Enjoy the morning fishing, gather for a lunchtime pot luck and socializing, and meet new fishing buddies to swap stories and tips with.

When: August 1st
Where: Lake Merwin, Speelyai Bay Recreation Area (weekend access cost $3)

Lake, lodging and recreation info:www.lewisriver.com

Please post a response or send me a PM if you are planning to attend.

We look forward to seeing you there. -Mack

Stay tuned for updates and details

Kokonuts
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I am marking the calendar for Aug 1st. This will be a great time for all of us to gettogether !!thumbsup...Kokonuts

jzell
06-02-2009, 04:56 PM
The fish always go off the bite on the first day of the month.

Known fact at Merwin,

jz

DCR
06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
How far is Lake Merwin from the town of Kalama?

MackPrince
06-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Merwin is about 20 miles east of Woodland (exit 21) on SR 503.
-8 miles south of Kalama, 14 miles north of Vancouver.

Kokonuts
06-03-2009, 01:09 AM
The fish always go off the bite on the first day of the month.

Known fact at Merwin,

jz

Why is that?......Kokonuts.....laugh hyst

chuck83
06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
I will be there.thumbsup

Woodcanoeguy
06-23-2009, 10:18 AM
If I am in town I will certainly attend.......Terry

MackPrince
06-29-2009, 01:52 AM
As the BBQ gets closer think about what you might be willing to bring for the pot-luck and please post a response or PM me so we can bring enough burgers and hot dogs.

If you make a weekend trip out of it you can catch kokes at Merwin and Yale (10 minutes down the road). At Merwin they are running around 14-15" and Yale they are about 12" but the limit there is 16 a day. If you are traveling for this some other great places to stop would be Lamiglas and G. Loomis, which are both based in Woodland.

We are looking forward to a great time!
-Mack

MackPrince
07-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Two weeks until the gathering. I've been in contact with a few KFF sponsors about promos and am hoping to figure out a general number for the food.

I will be bringing a portable BBQ, hot dogs and hamburgers. What can the rest of you bring?

Picnic start time around 12:00ish.

The weather and fishing is great right now and the fish seem to be packing on some pre-spawn weight. There are swimming and picnic areas at the Speelyai rec area so bring the family for an afternoon of fun.

PLEASE POST A REPLY WITH WHAT YOU CAN BRING AND IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND.

If my pm's are correct people coming include: Kokonuts, Jzell, Chuck 83 and DCR.

smokin' Kokes
07-21-2009, 03:42 AM
i and the wife will be there if she can pry the summer steelhead and ocean salmon rods out of my dead hands.

spudbud
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Sounds like the perfect day...
I will wait and see what is needed before I commit to bringing anything specific, food or otherwise.

Kokonuts
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
I was up at the lake this week, (20th) on Mon.,Tue, Wed. fishing mostly on the South Side & near the Dam. Ive seen at lot of fish on the bottom & up at 50 to 60 ft. but most of them seem to have lock jaw. The water level was down last week but is back up to the full level on Wed.

I tried just about everything but the ole standby Wedding Rings did as well or better than anything. Maybe its just me(????) but most people I talked with said they were having a tough time.

Suzi & I will be at the BBQ on Sat. AUG. 1 & We'll be bringing the usual Hot Dogs, Hamburgers & Goodies. Suzi will bring a Big Potato Salad!

We hope to meet everyone there!.....Richard

chuck83
07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I will bring beans and a mac salad

MackPrince
07-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Alright... it's coming together. I've got a few promos to give away as well!
-Mack

Kokonuts
07-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Mack, How many people are you expecting?

MackPrince
07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
It sounds like there will be around six members and some spouses.

I plan on getting to the rec area between 10-11 to get a table before the afternoon picnic rush. I tried to reserve the covered area but the place said no-go.

MackPrince
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
We'll see you at the lake tomorrow. My family is headed up in the morning and will try to find a nice area to gather. We'll have a blue canopy set-up with some KFF BBQ signs unless the wind decides to take them away :) Let's aim for a 12ish gathering time.

Boats may need to beach along the rec area depending on how busy the ramp is.

Mack- Hamburgers. plates, etc.
Kokonuts- Potato Salad
King Koke- Chips and Dessert
Chuck- Beans and MacSalad
Spud Bud- ?

Tentative- Woodcanoeguy, Smoke-n-kokes and Koke-n-a-smile...
The weather should be great!

spudbud
08-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Got to the lake at 10:30, to be greeted by a long line of waiting cars and boats and a grouchy old "guard" with a sign. He had no idea how long we would have to wait, if there were any KFF folks there, or at what time the lot had filled. We decided to go somewhere we knew we could put in and fish instead of waiting some indeterminate amount of time and then finding some or all of you had been shut out, too.
( Note to self...get there early if you want to fish Speelyai on a weekend!) crymeariver
Anyway, sorry to have missed meeting you all...hope it was a great time.

MackPrince
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Bummer Spud we would have loved to connect with you.crymeariver I think I was three cars behind you in line... the camp host said the the truck that just left was here for a group picnic. We had to wait until 11:10 for them to let us in. Wow parking for 210 vehicles and it was full at 10:30.

Thank you to all of our site sponsors who sent promos, Sierra, Curly's, Vance and Kokaneemart.com. I know the group will put the lures to the test and display the stickers with pride.

We hope to make this an annual gathering! We'll work on location, timing and events next Spring. Today the fishing was good and it was exciting to get the families together for some person to person time and put faces to the screen names.

Thank you again to everyone who came and who helped with the event!worthy12 I'll post pictures soon.
-Mack

Woodcanoeguy
08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I came up for the picnic at 11:15 and was turned away at the gate by the same grouchy guard....10 cars and boats ahead of me. He would not even let me park somewhere else and walk in! I waited a while but no movement in the line, so I headed back home. Anyway, the desert I bought was enjoyed by my family this evening.

Hope to meet some of you in the future......

king koke
08-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I was first in gate at 5 a.m. fishing by 5:30 thumbs-up. Had a blast fishing with kokonuts again and meeting mack!! I had my limit by noon great day fishing. Who says Merwin is slow on the first (jzell) nananana? Can't wait to try out the new dodgers. Hope this turns out to be an annual get together, count me in next year. King Koke

spudbud
08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I swore when I left the Army my 5:30 am days were over...but next year I'll be there at that time !!
Maybe I'll just camp close the night before...sorry I missed the chance to pick your brains and eat your cooking! I even brought along some cut-up squid to use for bait, like someone here was talking about earlier.

king koke
08-02-2009, 11:07 PM
I swore when I left the Army my 5:30 am days were over...but next year I'll be there at that time !!
Maybe I'll just camp close the night before...sorry I missed the chance to pick your brains and eat your cooking! I even brought along some cut-up squid to use for bait, like someone here was talking about earlier.

when fishing 5:30a.m. days never go away, camp the night before now your talkin

Koke-n-a-smile
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey, I totally spaced out on the picnic. My July was nuts, plus I had motor issues, apparently 2 stroke Mercury's have a problem with voltage regulators. Funny thing though, I was on Merwin, just I put in at Cresap Bay with the family instead of Speelyai. Had no problem getting in, got there around 9:30 am, and there were still 6 spots to park a boat. Didn't wet a line though, I don't have a down rigger, and I haven't had much luck when the fish are so deep. I could use some ideas on things to try out, currently I have been using a jack-o-diamonds with a wedding ring and maggots. I put a 4 oz lead on, but I still can't seem to get down very deep. Only thing I have caught so far was a squaw fish. Count me in for next year, I would like to get meet you guys so I can catch some fish!

MackPrince
08-18-2009, 04:05 PM
My 4 year-old was in charge of the camera... I think she found a new hobbie.

King Koke's son with his first fishing hat. Thanks Sierra!

Kokonuts, Brian and MackPrince

Kokonuts on grill duty.

Enjoying the breeze on a 95 deg. day.

Promo giveaway time. Thank you to Sierra, Curly's, Kokaneemart and Vances!

Kokonuts
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Mack.......
Great Pictures !! It was a good day & I cant wait until next year!

thumbsup Kokonuts